MTN Frontrow Free Data

wizardofid

Executive Member
1 The Offering is available to all:
3.1.1 All Network users with ZERO rated Streaming Data exclusively available to MTN Network customers, including;
3.1.1.1 MTN PayAsYouGo customers;
3.1.1.2 MTN TopUp customers;
3.1.1.3 MTN Contract customers;
3.1.1.4 My MTNChoice customers; and
(the "Customers")
3.2 For avoidance of doubt, the above (that is, 3.1.1) is only applicable to Customers who opt for the streaming data inclusive service as defined in 4.6 under item 4. A valid MTN SIM CARD is required for the zero rated streaming data. Terms and Conditions Applicable to this Service.
3.3 The streaming data can only be used for MTN FrontRow and cannot be used for general internet services such as Facebook.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
I'm aware. I'm saying I can't find MyBB articles which refer to the uncapped one.

Shellyb1

Expert Member
Website says free too

ImageUploadedByMyBroadband1441818089.802472.jpg

I signed up last week but the data streaming seems free on only one selected number. When I streamed on my iPad (where I have the afrihost apn) it used up my data.

One the number I selected/signed up with, it hasn't taken any data.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
What I discovered is that the app wont run on rooted devices, which is a bummer. All of my devices are rooted. Guess I'll get a PAYG sim and stick it in a 3G router.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Signed up today, to give it a twirl. very happy chappy, regardless of old content or not, about to get the android app now.Data is indeed zero rated, and streaming works like a charm, unlike showmax which buffers to kingdom come...

Thanks MTN !!!

whatwhat

Executive Member
What I discovered is that the app wont run on rooted devices, which is a bummer. All of my devices are rooted. Guess I'll get a PAYG sim and stick it in a 3G router.

What device? Both IOS and Android have apps that can hide root/jailbroken state from apps that detect it.

RichardG

Honorary Master
Wil subscribe now if that's the case. Does the sim card have to be in the device (cellphone and ipad) in order to qualify for free streaming data. I would love to have the sim card in my router.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Wil subscribe now if that's the case. Does the sim card have to be in the device (cellphone and ipad) in order to qualify for free streaming data. I would love to have the sim card in my router.

Free data only works with the sim number registered on the account while all sims work with the account, however data will not be free, however that said it's recommended to plug your sim directly into the device you are planing to use.

I could use the router with my PC no problem, I couldn't connect my tablet via the router, nor could I connect my Samsung S3 via router, best to have a tablet with a sim.

I did email support, and got assistance quite quickly, but they couldn't fix the problem, and have forwarded it to the software engineers to have a look at the problem, definitely a pleasant experience with regards to support.That said, security features on the android app is retarded, there is not reason why it can't work with a routed OS, DSTV now works just fine with it.

But I think it has to do with the MTN only allowing 1 concurrent connection, while my tablet doesn't work as should, I am sure they will have it sorted eventually, if they don't I am going to give them hell, but in a polite manner, there is no reason to be rude, they have given me nothing but good support.

diabolus

Executive Member
Is this only applicable to being inside the mobile app on your phone?

Can you open up a mobile hotspot (or put your sim in these mobile routers) and use your laptop via wifi and still pay nothing ?

How do you confirm this actually works, i'm a bit hesitant to use this on my contract SIM, MTN has never been reliable with ability to monitor data usage on contract.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

Can you open up a mobile hotspot (or put your sim in these mobile routers) and use your laptop via wifi and still pay nothing ?

How do you confirm this actually works, i'm a bit hesitant to use this on my contract SIM, MTN has never been reliable with ability to monitor data usage on contract.

Using a yellow sim in a router or something as a hotspot works fine. I have been in contact with the app devs and we tested this option.

RichardG

Honorary Master

I van confirm the data is zero-rated, but I would be a little hesitant though using it on contract in the event a software glitch happens! If you do take them up on their offer make sure to have a prepaid number. Peace of mind.

Shellyb1

Expert Member
Anyone able to get the front row Android app to work on their huawei mediapad t1 8"? I get a security error.

Device is not rooted but running android 4.3.