MTN G1 versus Vodacom G2

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Headline: Vodacom's Magic turns MTN's Dream into a nightmare ...

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Vodacom's launch special should be really special to make this attractive as I (for one) find it very difficult to seriously consider this device - with an infant OS - for R550+ a month when there's so many excellent devices available running mature OS's for the same or less per month.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Question to Vodacom: will Android v2.0 (Donut) be made available for the Magic?

LabAnimal

Expert Member
I can't say its fugly, but it ain't that nice a phone!.... I've had my share of drama with my HTC, and i'm now back on my old Sony Ericsson K800i till I can get phone that's as solid as the K800i. I'm eyeing out the Sony Ericsson Idou... Here are the Specs

charlie_82

Expert Member
I think both MTN & Vodacom are way overpriced for a phone running a free OS.
True, the contracts include data etc, but surely the customer should be able to choose whether they want this or not?

As for the devices themselves, I'd still take a G1... I love my P3400 but the lack of a hardware keyboard makes life quite difficult.

But with the prices of the Google Phones I might just get that Xperia after all

theJonster

interesting how the free operating system makes no difference to the price....i wonder who in the supply chain pockets the extra cash? guesses are VodaScum and MTN

greggpb

Expert Member
ms basically gives away OS's to OEM's so as to control the market...

serve's MTN right for trying to launch a 1 year old product as the next best thing

Bcm

interesting how the free operating system makes no difference to the price....i wonder who in the supply chain pockets the extra cash? guesses are VodaScum and MTN

Open Source doesn't mean free.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
I for one ain't interested in this...

Happy with my Nokia 5800 thank you very much

ngwenyas

Is the built in Gps functional amd free (similar to the blackberry) with updated maps or do you have download software and use your credit card for it to be functional? I want free gps and updated maps otherwise i'll stick with my blackberry bold.

Pyro

Expert Member
According to GSMArena, both phones have 192MB RAM, so I always thought they're practically the same...

Can anyone confirm that it has 288 like the HTC site says?

Last edited:

spedsta

i cant understand the pricing of MTN, why overprice the 1 year old Dream on such an expensive contract. Why not drop the price to something like the 5800, and leave out the "free" data where these phone will sell like hot cakes and basically ruin the Magics chance of having any market share. MTN will most certainly make up by the extra data used on these devices, as these are so hooked into the internet that using a 100 mbs in less than 2 weeks is very possible. Does this makes sense to anybody else. I think buying a dev Dream from google will cost less than the Dream sold here, wtf?

DblD

And to continue on your masterpiece here,
Vodacom Magic turns to be a cheep street trick/con
Headline: Vodacom's Magic turns MTN's Dream into a nightmare ...
======================

Not free but for sure id does not dent Operators Operational Cost as much.......
Open Source doesn't mean free.

============

Both are way overpriced, and don't come close to the real contender iPhone (Hardware wise)
As far as OS goes, Symbian/Android are the only true runners.... M$ is simply an expensive wannabe contender offshoot of M$ monopoly

============

And on totally different note, Nokia's E-71 IMHO is one of the most elegant, functionality & performance packed business tools to date.

Pyro

Expert Member
Both are way overpriced, and don't come close to the real contender iPhone (Hardware wise)

How to you get to that conclusion?

Some head-to-head: iPhone to Magic:

Size : 115.5 x 62.1 x 12.3 - 117.7 x 55.0 x 13.7
Volume: 88.2 cm^3 - 88.6 cm^3
Weight - 133g - 119g
Screen - 3.5" 16M colour - 3.2" 65K colour
Camera - 2MP - 3.2MP

iPhone:
- Proximity sensor
- 3.5mm headphone jack

Magic
- Digital Compass
- SCSD, EDGE

Other than that, there's not much of a difference in Hardware...

diabolus

Executive Member
Well looks to me like it's like comparing the HTC Touch Diamond vs. HTC Touch Pro .

Qwerty keyboard + Touchscreen vs. Just Touchscreen .

So it's not like any model is actually "better", it'll cater for different people. I on the other hand prefer a hardware qwerty keyboard, so the HTC Dream would still be my preference regardless of anything.

And personally, if i HAD to pick a touchscreen-only phone right now, it'll be the IPhone. It's got a better interface,there's more software and it's literally exploding in support all over...

Pricewise i see no real reason why the HTC Magic should be more expensive than the HTC Dream....so it's even more convenient for me that the one with a full keyboard is the cheapest...

theJonster said:
Interesting how the free operating system makes no difference to the price....i wonder who in the supply chain pockets the extra cash? guesses are VodaScum and MTN

I don't think it's necessarily a South African thing, there's a few overseas articles already asking this exact same question [i.e. why aren't we seeing more Android phones if it's cheaper and easier to customize?] . Chances are maybe manufactures are so "locked in" to the big OS [Symbian/Winmobile] that the price of the OS and the "official" support they get in return is better than the open source type of support they get from Google. It's like Linux vs. Windows...you'd think Linux would've taken over already...

Last edited: