MTN reduces roaming rates (24 May 2012)

Saajid

Expert Member
Let's put the data roaming rates into perspective:
- R10/MB or R10,000/GB - MTN networks
- R14/MB or R14,000/GB - Euro saver (more like Euro raper)
- R104/MB+ or R104,000/GB+ - Rest of the world

I can't think of any appropriate words to describe this. Perhaps Rape? Insanity? Ridiculous? Daylight robbery?

Last edited:

grok

Honorary Master
“One of the biggest challenges to consumers when they travel abroad is the cost of roaming services and an overwhelming phone bill when they return back home,” said Serame Taukobong, Chief Marketing Officer at MTN SA.

And after the "rates cut" one of the biggest challenges to consumers when they travel abroad will still be the cost of roaming services and an overwhelming phone bill when they return back home,” said Serame Taukobong, Chief Marketing Officer at MTN SA.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Cheaper than Vodacom by about a 3'rd at least.

Except I paid R22.50 per minute for my calls in China and Hong Kong.

bumbledore

I honestly don't see the point of roaming at all. One can buy a prepaid SIM card in virtually any country now, albeit with some photo ID. There's not much that has to be said that can't be written in an e-mail, plus for sensitive information PGP is far more secure than talking on the phone. If you're paranoid.

When I'm overseas for business, I simply set my voicemail to reflect that and to inform people of my email address.

In addition, because it's not permissible for cellular phones to be locked to any one network in South Africa, the majority of people's phones will be able to accept any foreign SIM, no problemo.

However, as a lover of good humour, I find MTN's advertisement absolutely belly-rumblingly adverbially hilarious.

Speedster

Honorary Master
As much as I think there is absolutely no justification for these ridiculous roaming prices it is pretty significant that receiving calls whilst roaming is now free (at least in some places). That's a HUGE step in the right direction.

Viva

Expert Member
So let me get this straight: The new data rate for a MTN sim in North America is R140/MB? What the hell was the original rate then? R300/MB?

ChilliGirl

PopCornPeddler
So let me get this straight: The new data rate for a MTN sim in North America is R140/MB? What the hell was the original rate then? R300/MB?

MTN is not the only one to have had it at a higher price. The others are still at the higher price.

I have to agree though these new prices are still excessive.

Viva

Expert Member
MTN is not the only one to have had it at a higher price. The others are still at the higher price.

I have to agree though these new prices are still excessive.

You're right, my issue is bigger than MTN, it's with the whole greedy industry. They're effectively making roaming impossible.

MTN, though, calls these prices "affordable" :wtf: That's just insulting.

“MTN has worked with Europe and SADC operators to provide affordable and convenient roaming options throughout these regions.”

The only positive thing I can say, is that this is at least a step in the right direction.

(Sorry, I edited my post before seeing you replied below)

Last edited:

ChilliGirl

PopCornPeddler
Sure, but MTN are the ones who calls these prices "affordable"

:wtf:

Think about it..... They are sadly more affordable than the other SPs. The question they don't consider is how affordable is it to travellers.....?

Unreal

And I thought my math was failing me. So it is a R104/Mb. Download headers only then, I guess I'll just thumb suck what the rest of the email was about then.