Mweb and their non-funcitoning OTP

xenonza

Hi all,

Need advice. A few days ago my dial-up iafrica email just stopped working. Nothing changed my side. When I try to log onto my account via Mweb web based platform, I only have restricted access. I can only change this by receiving a OTP. I have tried since yesterday - NO OTP's arrive at all. I double-checked and phone number is captured correctly.

NOW this is where it gets interesting..when you call Mweb - somewhere along the line, once you've gone though the many choices, and confirmed your account, you have to enter a OTP to go any further. I tried Technical, Accounts and another one.

I have also tried sending Mweb a message via FB - still waiting for a reply. Where do I go from here?

Ps. I cannot cancel the contract either because guess what.. you need to enter the OTP... :-0

swakop_toe

Use this Corona time and change your email service provider. MWeb is dead, have been for years.

xenonza

Use this Corona time and change your email service provider. MWeb is dead, have been for years.

Yes Swakop_toe, and how do I go about cancelling the account? Read the thread - cannot adjust OR cancel. Need the OTP.

swakop_toe

In the mean time, get a new email account, start changing and notifying every service you receive emails from and then, if you get access again, cancel.

xenonza

In the mean time, get a new email account, start changing and notifying every service you receive emails from and then, if you get access again, cancel.

Brilliant advise.. Got 5 other emails - oh, probably since 1997.. notified all not to use Mweb account months ago.. So, how about how to cancel or fix with that OTP? Advice on that?

RydhTybyans

Hi all,

Need advice. A few days ago my dial-up iafrica email just stopped working. Nothing changed my side. When I try to log onto my account via Mweb web based platform, I only have restricted access. I can only change this by receiving a OTP. I have tried since yesterday - NO OTP's arrive at all. I double-checked and phone number is captured correctly.

NOW this is where it gets interesting..when you call Mweb - somewhere along the line, once you've gone though the many choices, and confirmed your account, you have to enter a OTP to go any further. I tried Technical, Accounts and another one.

I have also tried sending Mweb a message via FB - still waiting for a reply. Where do I go from here?

Ps. I cannot cancel the contract either because guess what.. you need to enter the OTP... :-0
I have run out of data. I logged in to my account on my cellphone but to get buy a top-up I need full access, and to get full access I need an OTP. Guess what: despite numerous resend, I have not received an OTP.

RydhTybyans

Hi all,

Success! Check your blocked numbers on your SMS settings and delete all those that start with 082. I received this advice after finally managing to speak directly to a support agent without having to supply an OTP. I managed that by waiting until the initial support voice had told me four or five times that I hadn't entered the OTP. Only then was I given the option to join the queue to speak live to someone, and this is how I found the solution.

xenonza

Success! Check your blocked numbers on your SMS settings and delete all those that start with 082. I received this advice after finally managing to speak directly to a support agent without having to supply an OTP. I managed that by waiting until the initial support voice had told me four or five times that I hadn't entered the OTP. Only then was I given the option to join the queue to speak live to someone, and this is how I found the solution.
Thanks Rydh, I eventually got through to M-Web too - via Messenger on Facebook and they advised the same - blocked numbers.
They make it very difficult to get through to them, and waste your precious expensive aitime to boot.

goslowjoe

I have had the same problem since Monday evening, 25 May. I can send mail out, but nothing comes in and the error message suggests that there is a login name and/or password error, which there is not. Using MWeb's webmail I cannot get in to view mail, yet I can login to my own account for admin purposes. I have the same problem as reported earlier - OTP just never arrives. Has anyone else had the same problem with @iafrica.com email?

xenonza

Turns out I had blocked their OTP phone number as spam.. or Truecaller did. So that may be your problem.

RydhTybyans

I am continuing to block their number as SPAM, but then I have to remember to unblock it temporarily if I need an OTP. I so much dislike receiving the constant stream of messages telling me that Telkom has a problem in my area that it is worth the trouble.

goslowjoe

One hour on the phone with tech support and still no OTP, and thus no email. They said there was a problem with the iAfrica POP server and that we have to change our passwords, which requires an OTP.

Last edited:

goslowjoe

Guys, OK, success at last. MWeb sends the OTP from the number 084 000-1200, and not from a 087 number. I previously blocked this number because I also received calls that, when answered on my side, was silent on the other side. If you are still trying to get an OTP to fix the problem that occurred with @iafrica.com accounts on Monday evening, check that you unblock this number.