Mweb Hosting Services - Terrible

manfromthesouth22

I just wanted to (warn) share with anyone interested.

Our very small company website was hosted with MWeb. An upgraded site based on Wordpress was commissioned. MWeb hosting confirmed with me that the site will work on our hosting package, and our site was duly upgraded.

The website frequently timed-out when trying to access it. It was a nightmare. I wasn't allowed to speak to the hosting department over the phone, and their email service was terrible. I was always told that everything is fine on their side.

Eventually they realised that there is a problem, and they proposed moving over to a new server. They sent through an email confirming it would be handled as a high priority case. I sent through a reply the same afternoon, basically immediately, and did not receive any reply. Eventually a month later I emailed again, asking what is going on, and still did not get any reply.

We decided to move to Hetzner. I cannot believe what a difference it makes to change to a competent, accessible company. The service I've received from them has been great up to this point.

Cancelling something with MWeb has been a nightmare. Letters are ignored, specific requests are ignored, consultants who do not know how the system works... It's been a nightmare.

I cannot recommend that any small businesses use MWeb as their hosting provider. I find Hetzner's accessibility invaluable. I am not an IT expert, but Hetzner's service and help has been amazing. I can only describe MWeb's service as appalling and unforgiving to the small business user. Our Hetzner monthly cost is 25% of what we paid MWeb.

I truly hope that my and our experience is not the norm. I hope someone finds MWeb adequate. I'm blaming my lack of hair on them.

halfmoonforever

Expert Member
You went to McDonalds and ordered a steak, then you were dissapointed with it. MWEB is an internet provider, they just have hosting and email services on top of that because the upstream they pay for is under utilized when providing internet to the masses.

Several people, including myself, have said over and over again never to use hosting or email services provided by the ISP you're with because you will be dissapointed.

Hetzner might be a step up for you from MWEB (hell, anything would be), and I hope you're happy with them in the long run. The problem comes in when you need something.

I enjoy using elitehost, even with the ddos attacks that happened. They're friendly, responds almost immediately to any question I have, and seems like they never sleep.

manfromthesouth22

Ah, MWEB was chosen quite a while before I started working here. And we weren't even using them as ISP. Don't know how they were chosen. Oh well.

I'll make a note of elitehost. Thanks.