Mweb Talk offering free DID numbers

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/820946-R25-DID-VOIP-Numbers-Where-from

I was also investigating, all ISPs are trying to charge R25 but Mweb actually giving them free !!!

I couldnt make it send my voice out, with default settings, Do I have to enable some codec or settings any idea !!!
I can get sound in but my sound doesnt goes out from sip phone, nor mweb softphone or pbx
On the softphone that I am using it with on my cell phone it has a section where you can select or remove the codecs that you want. From what I can tell, Mweb Talk only supports G722 as everytime I have made a call it displays on my screen that specific codec is in use.

I have not had any issues with sound not going through.

sajunky

Honorary Master
On the softphone that I am using it with on my cell phone it has a section where you can select or remove the codecs that you want. From what I can tell, Mweb Talk only supports G722 as everytime I have made a call it displays on my screen that specific codec is in use.
I don't believe they only support G.722. Minimum is G.711a/u, as it is telephony standard for exchanges. With G.711 SIP servers don't have to transcode when accessing land lines. Trancoding is a time consuming and it is why SIP providers prefer G.711.

In settings of your softphone you can change codec priority, it will negotiate in order given.

B315s users please confirm MWEB codec list. B315s supports G.722, G.711a/u, G.729, G.726.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
I don't believe they only support G.722. Minimum is G.711a/u, as it is telephony standard for exchanges. With G.711 SIP servers don't have to transcode when accessing land lines. Trancoding is a time consuming and it is why SIP providers prefer G.711.

In settings of your softphone you can change codec priority, it will negotiate in order given.

B315s users please confirm MWEB codec list. B315s supports G.722, G.711a/u, G.729, G.726.
Mweb send me this email for setting up the VOIP with list of supported codecs so Yeah nice list of supported codecs

Advanced Settings:
SIP server: talk.mweb.net (Please do not use a static IP address)
SIP port number: UDP/5060 or TCP/5060
RTP port range: UDP/10000 to 65535
Audio codecs supported: G.722, G.711u, G.711a, G.729a, GSM, T.38
Firewall: Add inbound and outbound rules to allow traffic to/from both 197.80.140.140 and 197.84.140.140

sajunky

Honorary Master
Advanced Settings:
SIP server: talk.mweb.net (Please do not use a static IP address)
SIP port number: UDP/5060 or TCP/5060
RTP port range: UDP/10000 to 65535
Audio codecs supported: G.722, G.711u, G.711a, G.729a, GSM, T.38
Firewall: Add inbound and outbound rules to allow traffic to/from both 197.80.140.140 and 197.84.140.140
Thanks, saved.

Space_Kriek

They make their $$$$ on the inbound revenue hence why they give the numbers away for free, this is the only explanation

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
This came in very handy last night. Stopped at the Spar on my way home.....get back into the car when done .... and dood soos 'n mossie. Did not have airtime, but had loads of data. Called Car insurance roadside assist with Mweb talk and was sorted out.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Is this account paid by debit order or do you have to pay by eft?

I remember putting in bank details when I signed up, but don't see a bank detail section on Mweb now:confused:.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Is this account paid by debit order or do you have to pay by eft?

I remember putting in bank details when I signed up, but don't see a bank detail section on Mweb now:confused:.
Debit order. You would need to log in to view how much your usage is and when they will debit your account.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Anyone having issues with this service? Calls between 2 of your numbers produces a silent call, but works to other numbers.

Think the other issues I have been having with this on my phone may be Vodacom network related.

rodga

Executive Member
Anyone having issues with this service? Calls between 2 of your numbers produces a silent call, but works to other numbers.

Think the other issues I have been having with this on my phone may be Vodacom network related.
Been having issues with number not registering - when calling I hear a recored message saying "if you are in prepaid ....out of credit...etc"
Seems to be working fine for now though

cavedog

Honorary Master
I have not noticed any issues with it on my b315 and Telkom LTE as yet but I don't use it very often just now and then for a couple of calls and if I need to make a long call or so and it has always worked pretty good for me.

If it was down or experiencing problems I did not notice.

rodga

Executive Member
Been having issues with number not registering - when calling I hear a recored message saying "if you are in prepaid ....out of credit...etc"
Seems to be working fine for now though
Just to update, I had to restart my b593 router to get the voip account to register.

Another issue is that certain numbers ie toll free/sharecall numbers, dont seem to connect.
Not sure if its settings on my side or a problem on mwebs side.

Can anyone try calling this number 0800 222 031 from their mweb talk account and let me know if it connects?
Its pc links contact number btw...

edit:
Just tried calling mweb themselves on 087 700 5000, also doesnt connect.

moedawood

I only use mweb talk when traveling. To call SA is cheap so it's awesome. Has anyone given Vox a try with their unlimited for R 299?

owl

Temted to get this as a landline option
Also interested in using it as a landline option. I have 10Mb fibre line to my house.
Is anyone doing this? What are the pro's and con's?
What do I need to buy to connect my analog phone?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Also interested in using it as a landline option. I have 10Mb fibre line to my house.
Is anyone doing this? What are the pro's and con's?
What do I need to buy to connect my analog phone?
Well to get started you would need a router with sip build in. I know that Telkom supplies the B315 with their fibre setup. So then it's very easy by simply adding Mweb Talk sip details into the router and you are done.

If you do not have a router that does not have sip build in then you can get one of these very interesting devices.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brand-New-Factory-Unlocked-Linksys-PAP2-NA-PAP2T-PAP2T-Na-ATA-phone-adapter-SIP-VOIP-Phone/32726080515.html

These devices connects like what is build into the B315.

Pro's of using Mweb Talk is paying No monthly fees but getting a local did number for free.

Con's is the call rates are not the best. @75c per minute to cellphones it's not a good deal but not horrible either.

If you really want cheap VOIP calls your best bet is

https://www.discountvoip.co.uk

Call rates of 8c per minute to any network in SA anytime. Call quality is okay but rate is unbeatable.

Con's with that service is there is no incoming calls. You can however set the CLI to be your cellphone number or even a land line number or a VOIP number which is really cool. :)

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
Con's with that service is there is no incoming calls. You can however set the CLI to be your cellphone number or even a land line number or a VOIP number which is really cool. :)
So what you could technically do is use the mweb number as CLI (that's the number the person on the other end will see, right?) and call with discountvoip?

cavedog

Honorary Master
So what you could technically do is use the mweb number as CLI (that's the number the person on the other end will see, right?) and call with discountvoip?
Yes you can do that no problem. However that requires you to have 2 sip accounts active. One for discountvoip for making outgoing calls and then one with mweb talk details for receiving calls.

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
I'm correct in understanding the mweb number is a 035 number, or is it the regular 087 number you usually get with VoIP?