Mweb Talk offering free DID numbers

signates

Executive Member
Yes you can do that no problem. However that requires you to have 2 sip accounts active. One for discountvoip for making outgoing calls and then one with mweb talk details for receiving calls.

Going to try this on my cell.

Zoiper allows for multiple SIP accounts and you can have more than one active. You can also set the default outgoing SIP account so no need to check which one you using for the outgoing call.

owl

Well to get started you would need a router with sip build in. I know that Telkom supplies the B315 with their fibre setup. So then it's very easy by simply adding Mweb Talk sip details into the router and you are done.

If you do not have a router that does not have sip build in then you can get one of these very interesting devices.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brand-New-Factory-Unlocked-Linksys-PAP2-NA-PAP2T-PAP2T-Na-ATA-phone-adapter-SIP-VOIP-Phone/32726080515.html

These devices connects like what is build into the B315.

Pro's of using Mweb Talk is paying No monthly fees but getting a local did number for free.

Con's is the call rates are not the best. @75c per minute to cellphones it's not a good deal but not horrible either.

If you really want cheap VOIP calls your best bet is

https://www.discountvoip.co.uk

Call rates of 8c per minute to any network in SA anytime. Call quality is okay but rate is unbeatable.

Con's with that service is there is no incoming calls. You can however set the CLI to be your cellphone number or even a land line number or a VOIP number which is really cool. :)
Thank you cavedog.

No incoming calls is a blessing for me.

I have signed up and it works perfectly from my cell. Now am digging around for the cheapest VOIP handset that will work with Mweb Talk.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I'm correct in understanding the mweb number is a 035 number, or is it the regular 087 number you usually get with VoIP?
When you signed up for the service which is free you get 087. Log In and click on ADD MWEB Talk Account. There you can select a number preflix and there are a lot you can select from not only a 087 or 035 number.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Thank you cavedog.

No incoming calls is a blessing for me.

I have signed up and it works perfectly from my cell. Now am digging around for the cheapest VOIP handset that will work with Mweb Talk.
Yes they have an app too which works very well. Also confirms the call rate you will be charged. You can set your CLI to be any number that can be verified by a OTP sms or call confirmation which is really nice.

Making super cheap voip calls and it can show your mobile phone number is great if you ask me.

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
Yes they have an app too which works very well. Also confirms the call rate you will be charged. You can set your CLI to be any number that can be verified by a OTP sms or call confirmation which is really nice.

Making super cheap voip calls and it can show your mobile phone number is great if you ask me.
You say the call quality isn't bad though?

FatBoySlim

Expert Member
Been using skype with a DID for about a year now, still wouldn't touch MWeb for any services. Is there a listing of their call costs would like to do a comparison with Skype?

cavedog

Honorary Master
You say the call quality isn't bad though?
Well it's not super HD but I find the call quality very acceptable and for thr price I pay I can't complain much. R80 for 1000min to any network in SA I doubt you will ever find anyone that can match or beat that price.

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member

evilskaap

Expert Member
Mmm, interesting. cavedog, how long have you been phoning at the cheap rate?
So the rate bait and switch is exactly their business model, see here: https://freevcalls.blogspot.co.za/2009/05/betamax-voip-providers-30-brands-under.html

Why they are marketing with different brands?
They launch a new brand with the lowest possible rate which are advertised via the previous brands and then slowly slowly they increase the rate to the normal level and again they launch another brand.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Mmm, interesting. cavedog, how long have you been phoning at the cheap rate?
Been using them since November 2016 so yeah even if the change the rate which they have not yet done it was still worth it since it's been on this raye for 6 months now.

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
Been using them since November 2016 so yeah even if the change the rate which they have not yet done it was still worth it since it's been on this raye for 6 months now.
...what software do you use? Most voip clients don't allow switching of CLI (even if it's set on the site).

cavedog

Honorary Master
...what software do you use? Most voip clients don't allow switching of CLI (even if it's set on the site).
I don't use any software I just set the CLI on the website or the app and change CLI on the app when needed. I use the sip details in my Telkom Uncapped lte router the Huawei B315 with battery backup and a normal cordless analogue phone pligged in.

Works great you just dial any sa number as usual. No need to dial the international format.

sajunky

Honorary Master
I used DiscountVoip on Zoiper both on PC and iPhone. Currently on iPhone I switched to the company app MobileVoIP, as it takes less data on my cellular connection. It reportedly can use G.729 codec, while there is no user control nor any indicator. Voice quality is barely acceptable. App is good, it does a job. It displays a current tariff to the selected number before dialing. Limitation is one account a time.

Last edited:

rapidblue

Expert Member
Been using MWEB's voip service for a little while now. Really not bad for a free geographic number! I have had some issues on my Yealink W56P though - when I call certain call centers the call is answered but I keep hearing a "ring ring" in the background. Did not do this when I was with Switchtel. Only seems to do it on my yelling though - not doing it on my softphone on my iPhone...

AirWolf

Honorary Master
I can dial out.

Dialling in I get "the number you have called does not exist".

Restarting the router helps sometimes, and other times not...

Mweb page says active but not registered next to the number.