My Beloved Auris

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
My 2008 model Auris 1.6RT is giving problems lately and I don't know the first thing about being a mechanic...

She has 103445 km on the clock and I can't wait to give her the well needed service that she deserves.

The problems that I am experiencing with her is that since 2 weeks ago, I got a message on my speedometer saying "Check Engine".
I ignored the message but drove the car a bit slower than usual. The next morning, the message was gone up until today. I wasn't driving last week as I was in JHB.

So today, I'm driving home and the message appears again. I try to accelerate above 4000rpm and the car starts jerking and loses quite a lot of power while I am driving.
She is just not as snappy as what she used to be. :crying: I proceed home under the 4k rpm mark.

Can anyone of you motor heads please tell me what is wrong with my bae?

wizardofid

Executive Member
Good bet to check spark plugs as well as the Ignition Coils, some times these coils can burn and result in a dead cylinder which is very likely why giving the engine more gas is flooding the engine.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Ballpoint figure, how much would it cost to fix this issue?

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Without a diagnostic test, we could be guessing all week.

Diag test - R~650

maumau

Honorary Master
OMG what a relief.

I thought Auris was your pet..... probably on it's deathbed.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
That 'jerking' above 4000 might be related to your engine having gone into 'limp mode' ... when the check engine light comes on, your car simply won't allow itself to be revved in order to spare the engine excess strain. The idea is that this allows you to drive to a place of safety and stop, not keep driving it and hope the light goes out ;)

If you're very lucky all you've got is a faulty sensor, nothing wrong with the engine. Frankly car engines either run or they catastrophically don't, it's very rare you'll find an engine that runs smoothly but has some undisclosed fault. It might even just be a sporadic sensor issue, because you say it went away for a while.

Your diagnostic check is your best bet, and that will tell you the damage.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Ok, seems like my guess of the limp mode was correct. I found this online and it sounds promising (i.e. cheap):

Any time the check engine light turns on the VSC/TRAC control is disabled and the warning lights come on, the primary concern is the check engine light which is probably emission control related and not a driveability issue.
It needs to be checked with a scantool to retreive the trouble codes, even though there may be trouble codes stored for the ABS/VSC/TRAC ignore them until the engine trouble code is fixed first, after that the other warning lights will turn off after the codes are cleared.

Colin62

Executive Member
Can anyone of you motor heads please tell me what is wrong with my bae?

I agree with foxy, it went into limp mode to protect itself. And there is no way anyone can give you meaningful advice on what it could be without hooking it up for a diagnostic. And like it or not, the agents may well be the best place to interpret the error codes.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Would it be OK to drive to work and keep it below 4000 rpm until I go for the diag? I have to schedule an appointment for the diag and that will be done tomorrow.

kang

She and her when referring to a car just grates me. Good luck with the beeaatch.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Would it be OK to drive to work and keep it below 4000 rpm until I go for the diag? I have to schedule an appointment for the diag and that will be done tomorrow.
I would not really advise it seeing as you are still not 100% sure what is actually wrong and by driving it you could worsen it.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
That 'jerking' above 4000 might be related to your engine having gone into 'limp mode' ... when the check engine light comes on, your car simply won't allow itself to be revved in order to spare the engine excess strain. The idea is that this allows you to drive to a place of safety and stop, not keep driving it and hope the light goes out ;)

If you're very lucky all you've got is a faulty sensor, nothing wrong with the engine. Frankly car engines either run or they catastrophically don't, it's very rare you'll find an engine that runs smoothly but has some undisclosed fault. It might even just be a sporadic sensor issue, because you say it went away for a while.

Your diagnostic check is your best bet, and that will tell you the damage.

Limping only at about 4000rpm and up is a bit high. Usually limp mode kicks in between 2000 and 2500rpm. But I could be wrong.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I don't really have a choice since SO left the house with her car already. Work is 15 minutes away though.

wetkit

Expert Member
Ok, so leave it parked overnight with the battery disconnected. This normally should clear all codes.
Do the basic checks.
1. Is the water level correct?
2. Is the oil level correct?
3. Is the air filter clean?
4. Is the battery clamps secure?

Colin62

Executive Member
Limping only at about 4000rpm and up is a bit high. Usually limp mode kicks in between 2000 and 2500rpm. But I could be wrong.

I know it's 3000 for Merc diesels. I assume it's a bit more for petrol, and different manufacturers may set it at different levels. My C220cdi could still cruise at 140km/h on the freeway in limp mode with no turbo.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I just came back from Toyota.
The foreman did a diag on my car, for free.

At first, the diag picked up that there was a faulty coil.
The foreman cleared the codes, we took a test drive on the highway and no problems whatsoever.
He told me that it might just be a glitch but if the problem occurs again and it happens to be the same coil then we can investigate some more.

Thanks everyone.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
So after they cleared the warnings from the car, the warning popped up again the next day.

Can anyone tell me how much the fix will cost?

Wasabee!

Executive Member
Good bet to check spark plugs as well as the Ignition Coils, some times these coils can burn and result in a dead cylinder which is very likely why giving the engine more gas is flooding the engine.

Well done was my thought as well.

So after they cleared the warnings from the car, the warning popped up again the next day.

Can anyone tell me how much the fix will cost?

Ask the dealer for the proper cost first?