My Beloved Auris

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I always services it on time.

I am not sure how these teeth broke, I don't remember grinding my gears.

Pitbull

Verboten
That's more expensive. Toyota quoted me 25k, another company quoted me 24k.

No way... let me check quick. What engine you got?

Found a 1.6RT gearbox for R 4k. Loads of Aurises being stripped for spares. Check gumtree and Junkmail :)

Last edited:

Pitbull

Verboten
Thanks.
What worries me is that I do no know in what state these gearboxes are.

Gearboxes are not something that is fiddled with most of the time. If it's bolted off an engine they normally sell it as is. They don't mess with the inside at all. So if it's a crashed car, the odds are the gearbox is still in perfect nick. But sure, nothing is 100% guaranteed. Well worth the risk though given the prices dealers ask to work on gearboxes.

Pitbull

Verboten
Interesting. I take you have to modify the gear lever thing then also?

Normally the cover that has that sock thing on the lever covers a big hole in the car's body. (As all bodies are manufactured the same). So if you put in an auto box, you just need to add auto gear lever and cover.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Normally the cover that has that sock thing on the lever covers a big hole in the car's body. (As all bodies are manufactured the same). So if you put in an auto box, you just need to add auto gear lever and cover.

That is very cool. I had no idea you could do that.

Pitbull

Verboten
That is very cool. I had no idea you could do that.

Provided that same car has an auto variant. If not you will need a different engine and autobox and have to modify it to fit the car. But if a model comes in auto and manual, you can change it with no hassles.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Provided that same car has an auto variant. If not you will need a different engine and autobox and have to modify it to fit the car. But if a model comes in auto and manual, you can change it with no hassles.

Interesting you mention that. I watched a youtube channel yesterday called mighty car mods or something. These two Australian guys that do crazy things. I watched yesterday how they took a Classic Mini from the 70's and put a Honda Vtec engine into it. It is crazy! Not to mention interesting to see how they had to make plans on how to fit the engine in, how they had to solve the issue of how to deal with the steering rack because the engine needed that space to fit. How they had to make the clutch interface with the transmision from the Honda engine etc etc. So many things, I cant remember half of them.

In another episode, they took a Suburu boxer engine, and fitted into a classic Beatle. This was Epic. They also put a turbo in it. After, they took it to the track and VW sent their modern racing Beatle to dice it. This modded classic Bealtle killed the VW modern one. It was AWESOME! You should see this thing go rofl.

ChrisThomas

Interesting you mention that. I watched a youtube channel yesterday called mighty car mods or something. These two Australian guys that do crazy things. I watched yesterday how they took a Classic Mini from the 70's and put a Honda Vtec engine into it. It is crazy! Not to mention interesting to see how they had to make plans on how to fit the engine in, how they had to solve the issue of how to deal with the steering rack because the engine needed that space to fit. How they had to make the clutch interface with the transmision from the Honda engine etc etc. So many things, I cant remember half of them.

In another episode, they took a Suburu boxer engine, and fitted into a classic Beatle. This was Epic. They also put a turbo in it. After, they took it to the track and VW sent their modern racing Beatle to dice it. This modded classic Bealtle killed the VW modern one. It was AWESOME! You should see this thing go rofl.

Those two are awesome. That beetle project they did I've seen and it was insane how much power they got to the wheels!

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Those two are awesome. That beetle project they did I've seen and it was insane how much power they got to the wheels!

How epic was it though when they did the race and you just see this fcked up little Beetle pull away and disappear rofl.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
So my gearbox is effed.

Failure on the tooth contact of the crown wheel and pinion. The broken teeth on the 2 gears are causing the knocking noise in the gearbox. Due to this failure, it is sending metal fragments through the gearbox and damaging other working components.
R16 646.28

Don't you think you should get a second opinion before you part with this handsome sum of money?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Don't you think you should get a second opinion before you part with this handsome sum of money?

I got 3 opinions on a reconditioned gearbox already.
Toyota: 25k
Disa Motors: 24k

Mayfair: not sure what they are doing but it will be 16k

Quote:
Parts to rebuild unit - 8200 ex. vat
CV Shaft Repair - 1342 ex. vat

Labour:
Oil 75W80 & consumables - 660 ex. vat
Labour strip and assemble - 2200 ex. vat
Labour remove and replace gearbox - 2200 ex. vat