My Beloved Auris

ChrisThomas

Not sure about the validity of this, but a friends dad took his Hilux in to have work done on the gearbox and his mechanic showed him and my friend the difference between the parts on a Toyota and a Ranger and you could clearly see that the Hilux had much thinner metal and less solid parts on it. Like I said, I wasn't there and haven't seen it for myself.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Thanks guy. Checking the problem out by many other companies is going to cost a lot.

Each one charges for removing the gearbox, stripping it then finding out what it is.

Ok then just go with the less stressful way then, pay the R16k and get the job done and put this behind you. I just hope the job is done right the first time so you can quickly forget about this.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Not sure about the validity of this, but a friends dad took his Hilux in to have work done on the gearbox and his mechanic showed him and my friend the difference between the parts on a Toyota and a Ranger and you could clearly see that the Hilux had much thinner metal and less solid parts on it. Like I said, I wasn't there and haven't seen it for myself.

Toyota has a reputation, it is expected now and again that they will ride on this and skimp on quality.

airborne

Honorary Master
So my gearbox is effed.

R16 646.28
All things considered that's not an insane price, just be glad you don't have an auto box, cost could easily be double that.
Yea, ofc you can :)

@Camikaze

http://www.junkmail.co.za/spares-and-accessories/south-africa/toyota-auris/k-c582r1

Phone a few of those people, I'm 100% sure you can get a gearbox for cheaper if doing it this way.
Normally the cover that has that sock thing on the lever covers a big hole in the car's body. (As all bodies are manufactured the same). So if you put in an auto box, you just need to add auto gear lever and cover.
Nought!

Changing from manual to auto or going the other way is not a small job on modern cars, you basically need a donor car to strip all the interior parts/linkages/stick/pedals etc. Sometimes even a different ecu is needed and a fair amount of wiring. Also the cars papers will say auto and now it's a manual or vs/vs, resale value may suffer.

Not a job for your normal diy boffin.

Pitbull

Verboten
All things considered that's not an insane price, just be glad you don't have an auto box, cost could easily be double that. Nought!

Changing from manual to auto or going the other way is not a small job on modern cars, you basically need a donor car to strip all the interior parts/linkages/stick/pedals etc. Sometimes even a different ecu is needed and a fair amount of wiring. Also the cars papers will say auto and now it's a manual or vs/vs, resale value may suffer.

Not a job for your normal diy boffin.

I never suggested he change to an Auto... I think you need to re-read this thread. He has a manual and wants to fit a manual... That discussion was O/T ;)

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
What part did Mayfair say had failed?

That sounds like it could be a collapsed bearing .

"Failure on the tooth contact of the crown wheel and pinion. The broken teeth on the 2 gears are causing the knocking noise in the gearbox. Due to this failure, it is sending metal fragments through the gearbox and damaging other working components."

nivo

That sound is horrid, the box must be stuffed inside.

qscwbt

Expert Member
sounds like a diesel. I almost think just find a good secondhand box and swop.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
So there's the problem.

6cff022494b9a4881f500080036184e1.jpg

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Maybe casting issue at the factory or maybe grinding the gears?

What does the gearbox place think it could have been?

I'll go with inferior part quality, an occasional grinding of gears should be able to handle that.