My Beloved Auris

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Maybe casting issue at the factory or maybe grinding the gears?

What does the gearbox place think it could have been?

They say that it is normal wear and tear.

I have a new problem. When I received my car yesterday, the battery was flat and they had to get one of their guys to jump start the car.
I drove +- 40km back home, but stopped at the mall. Went in, came back out, tried to switch the car back on but it just wouldn't start.
I got one of the car guards to push, it started and I drove off.

This morning, tried to switch the car back on and it just wouldn't start.
Got a neighbour to jump start the car for me and I drove to work.

Knowing that my battery is well over 5 years old, I decided to buy and install a new one.
Now, when I come to a stop street, the car just switches off. The rev counter is much lower than what it used to be before the new battery.
I don't see how the battery could be at fault here, so is it possible that these guys that fixed the gear box messed up the timing in the engine as well?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
But since you installed the new battery it starts okay?

Just check if they didn't forget to plug some of the wires back, maybe take a look around the engine and see if there are no loose hanging wires? also feel the connecters if they are making proper contact.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
But since you installed the new battery it starts okay?

Just check if they didn't forget to plug some of the wires back, maybe take a look around the engine and see if there are no loose hanging wires? also feel the connecters if they are making proper contact.

I was there when they fitted the new battery. I made sure that it was installed properly and they used a multimeter to show that the health of the battery is 100%.
Yes, the battery allows me to start the car properly now, as expected from a new and fully charged battery. The health of the previous battery was 49%.

However, the car stalls more frequently now. I just did another test around the block and the car stalled once again.
So, could it be that my timing is now messed up?

qscwbt

Expert Member
man you and this Auris, put a Kuga badge on and burn it :D

This is very common Toyota

When the starting battery is disconnected on late model Toyota and Lexus vehicles the engine control module loses the learned position of the idle air control valve or throttle actuator motor (throttle-by-cable or throttle-by-wire, respectively). Any buildup on the throttle bore or butterfly valve will reduce airflow through the throttle (now sitting at it’s default position), causing the roughness or hard start. The higher the mileage the more severe the condition. The repair? Clean the throttle of junk buildup ( carb cleaner)and it’ll run significantly smoother. Post cleanup it’ll idle higher than normal for a bit, settling back down once it learns the idle position again.

the computer should learn the throttle position, or you can teach it. yes master

1) Warm the engine
2) Hold in the clutch and press the gas until the engine goes to about ~3k rpms
3) Keeping the clutch in, take your foot off the gas so that the rpms drop*.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the idle is correct again.
(Each time you do step 3, the idle will stay higher until it is back to normal.)

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I was there when they fitted the new battery. I made sure that it was installed properly and they used a multimeter to show that the health of the battery is 100%.
Yes, the battery allows me to start the car properly now, as expected from a new and fully charged battery. The health of the previous battery was 49%.

However, the car stalls more frequently now. I just did another test around the block and the car stalled once again.
So, could it be that my timing is now messed up?

I did not mean the battery wires, the way it sounds I think there is some sensor wires that they forgot to plug back on, or some vacuum pipes if there are any, just make a quick visual check of all the wires and stuff under the hood and see if it's not one of those, nine times out of ten they forget to connect some wires back on after such a big job.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
man you and this Auris, put a Kuga badge on and burn it :D

This is very common Toyota

When the starting battery is disconnected on late model Toyota and Lexus vehicles the engine control module loses the learned position of the idle air control valve or throttle actuator motor (throttle-by-cable or throttle-by-wire, respectively). Any buildup on the throttle bore or butterfly valve will reduce airflow through the throttle (now sitting at it’s default position), causing the roughness or hard start. The higher the mileage the more severe the condition. The repair? Clean the throttle of junk buildup ( carb cleaner)and it’ll run significantly smoother. Post cleanup it’ll idle higher than normal for a bit, settling back down once it learns the idle position again.

the computer should learn the throttle position, or you can teach it. yes master

1) Warm the engine
2) Hold in the clutch and press the gas until the engine goes to about ~3k rpms
3) Keeping the clutch in, take your foot off the gas so that the rpms drop*.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the idle is correct again.
(Each time you do step 3, the idle will stay higher until it is back to normal.)

Yeah hey... I've been wanting to buy a new car but I don't want any debt. MY car is fully paid off and the only major probs it had until now, after 131 000 km was a water pump, and now this problem.

Thanks for this, I will try this later at home.

I did not mean the battery wires, the way it sounds I think there is some sensor wires that they forgot to plug back on, or some vacuum pipes if there are any, just make a quick visual check of all the wires and stuff under the hood and see if it's not one of those, nine times out of ten they forget to connect some wires back on after such a big job.

Thanks, I will take another check. I did not see any loose wires though, I was looking in and around but nothing. I will take another thorough look.

qscwbt

Expert Member
just spray that throttle body with carb cleaner and teach the car again.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Thanks a lot guys. The car feels like it used to once again. Now to start saving again for the next problem.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Thanks a lot guys. The car feels like it used to once again. Now to start saving again for the next problem.

Save again for the next problem? If I didn't know better i'd think we were talking about a Renault or Peugeot. :D

What was the problem?

Neo_X

Expert Member
are you very very sure your beloved Auris is not maybe a transgender Renault in disguise? :eek:

glad you managed to sort out the challenges :)

airborne

Honorary Master
Great news, did you use the trick Qscwbt outlined above or did it just come right during the normal course of driving/ecu wised up?

unobeat

What a roller coaster of issues you have with your Auris.
My mom Auris has been very reliable for the past 7 years we have owned it since new and it is currently sitting on 160 000km.

It has been going for services at Toyota and i will be doing the services myself
Things that have gone wrong outside normal services:

1x Battery
Starter needed new brushes(It get started to many times to be moved around the yard)
Front shock set
Needs new steering rack and the 165 000km service is coming up.