My Beloved Auris

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
So they swapped coils with working ones? I am just having my own insecurities as far as the honesty of a dealership is concerned, especially when they see that they are dealing with a customer who knows very little.

I know going around looking for secondhand third opinions is costly so maybe just take the technicians offer of a private job.
Yes, he swapped it with working ones from another car.

Thanks, I am going to try another private guy first and try the coil swap method again.

airborne

Honorary Master
Ok I am reading off of the notes from the checkup.

To narrow down and determine where the problem is:
Cleaned Injectors
Cleaned Throttle Body
Checked Spark Plugs
Swapped Coils
Did Compression Test (No.1, No2 - no compression)

@TheChamp It was the Toyota guy at the service center that replaced and tested the coils.
Yes, he swapped it with working ones from another car.

Thanks, I am going to try another private guy first and try the coil swap method again.
Ask him to do the compression test again. If there is very low compression on 2 pistons then no amount of coilpacks will help.

What symptoms led up to the car getting sent to Toyota in the first place?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Ask him to do the compression test again. If there is very low compression on 2 pistons then no amount of coilpacks will help.

What symptoms led up to the car getting sent to Toyota in the first place?
I detected a loss of power over since last year and things just became worse as I drove to Hermanus once.
Couldn't do uphill, had to drive all the way up in 1st and 2nd gear, sometimes in 3rd.

Anyway, fast forward, I went for my 180k service on the 5th of January.
With time, I had absolutely no power in second gear. The car would jerk and switch off.
A few days later, I drove to the guy that serviced my car, he plugged his computer in, I saw some error codes related to compression.

As I drove from him, the car would just switch off if it went below 1000RPM. I would then have to switch the car on while in motion, and that happened at every stop, and every time I would slow down at a robot.

It happened the very next day when I drove to the Toyota Service Center. This is when they did all the tests.

airborne

Honorary Master
Well I'd see how the compression test goes. If it still shows as low compression then take the head off, it may be a blown head gasket, burnt valve etc.

If it's something to do with the head then fix it, if it's below the head in the pistons or elsewhere then it may be best to replace the motor with a used one.

Apart from the gearbox which is just luck of the draw has the vehicle given any other issues?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Well I'd see how the compression test goes. If it still shows as low compression then take the head off, it may be a blown head gasket, burnt valve etc.

If it's something to do with the head then fix it, if it's below the head in the pistons or elsewhere then it may be best to replace the motor with a used one.

Apart from the gearbox which is just luck of the draw has the vehicle given any other issues?
Nope. I only had to replace the water pump at the 120k mark, the gearbox fckup and now this issue.

Jelly-tot

I detected a loss of power over since last year and things just became worse as I drove to Hermanus once.
Couldn't do uphill, had to drive all the way up in 1st and 2nd gear, sometimes in 3rd.

Anyway, fast forward, I went for my 180k service on the 5th of January.
With time, I had absolutely no power in second gear. The car would jerk and switch off.
A few days later, I drove to the guy that serviced my car, he plugged his computer in, I saw some error codes related to compression.

As I drove from him, the car would just switch off if it went below 1000RPM. I would then have to switch the car on while in motion, and that happened at every stop, and every time I would slow down at a robot.

It happened the very next day when I drove to the Toyota Service Center. This is when they did all the tests.
I drive a 2008 Corolla 1.6 professional. When I experienced the very same challenges as you in relation to your car, it turned out to be ignition coils. I changed all 4 early 2020 and haven't had a single issue since. My car is currently sitting at 215000km.

Last edited:

airborne

Honorary Master
I drive a 2008 Corolla 1.6 professional. When I experienced the very same challenges as you in relation to your car, it turned out to be ignition coils. I changed all 4 early 2020 and haven't had a single issue since. My car is currently sitting on 215000km.
Coils won't explain the loss of compression though but that may have just been poor diagnostics and a proper test may find the compression is fine.

RandomGeek

Expert Member
I second the theory that it may be a blown head gasket- i see you mention a replaced waterpump at some point, did the car overheat at all? And any change in appearance or volume of engine oil or coolant, these may be additional clues to a blown head gasket? @CamiKaze

Last edited:

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I second the theory that it may be a blown head gasket- i see you mention a replaced waterpump at some point, did the car overheat at all? And any change in appearance or volume of engine oil or coolant, these may be additional clues to a blown head gasket? @CamiKaze
Apparently, at the 120k mark, you are supposed to replace the water pump on this car.
The car was making a funny sound and Toyota told me that it was the water pump that needs to be replaced.
I replaced it, 2 or 3 years ago when it was around 120k and that fixed that problem.

RandomGeek

Expert Member
Apparently, at the 120k mark, you are supposed to replace the water pump on this car.
The car was making a funny sound and Toyota told me that it was the water pump that needs to be replaced.
I replaced it, 2 or 3 years ago when it was around 120k and that fixed that problem.
OK, sounds more like preventative replacement than than catastrophic failure that led to overheating. Probably not the headgasket then

Last edited:

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Update: Head Gasket blew between the first and second cylinder.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-02 at 10.47.07.jpeg

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Nice that should be relatively cheap and easy to fix, did they give any indication of why it blew?

What mechanic is working on it now?
A guy that used to work at Toyota in Paarl.
He has his own workshop now.