My Beloved Auris

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
That sounds steep, what is being done for R14k?
So, he has to send it away to skim the head as there are burn marks on the head.
He mentioned that there are deep burns in it and that means that the people he is sending it to won't be able to skim that low.
That means that this problem will pop up in approx. 6 years again.
I am really out of options here regarding mechanics.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-02 at 12.02.43.jpeg

airborne

Honorary Master
So, he has to send it away to skim the head as there are burn marks on the head.
He mentioned that there are deep burns in it and that means that the people he is sending it to won't be able to skim that low.
That means that this problem will pop up in approx. 6 years again.
I am really out of options here regarding mechanics.

View attachment 1007028
R14k would be the price if the head was being replaced with a refurbished one, not just a skim and new gasket.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
My wife drove her 2008 Corolla without oil and a guy quoted me R17 999 for an imported 1.8ZZ engine and R3 500 for labour.

I never had the engine replaced because it turned out she was driving without gearbox oil and not engine oil. It's been a year and the car is still going strong. This happened because when she went to collect the car, the guy who was replacing the CV's was nowhere to be seen and one of his colleagues thought the guy was done with the job. In the meantime the guy went to go buy gearbox oil. So my wife drove the car home just like that

@CamiKaze in case you're thinking of replacing the engine^

TheChamp

Honorary Master
My wife drove her 2008 Corolla without oil and a guy quoted me R17 999 for an imported 1.8ZZ engine and R3 500 for labour.

I never had the engine replaced because it turned out she was driving without gearbox oil and not engine oil. It's been a year and the car is still going strong. This happened because when she went to collect the car, the guy who was replacing the CV's was nowhere to be seen and one of his colleagues thought the guy was done with the job. In the meantime the guy went to go buy gearbox oil. So my wife drove the car home just like that

@CamiKaze in case you're thinking of replacing the engine^
So gearbox oil and not engine oil? Fortunately it's just gears and unless she was driving far there wasn't really a risk on a manual car.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
So gearbox oil and not engine oil? Fortunately it's just gears and unless she was driving far there wasn't really a risk on a manual car.
Yup, no gearbox oil. The guy called when she was home already to get our address and came to put the gearbox oil in here at home because he didn't want us to drive the car a centimeter further

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Any latest update here on our beloved Auris.
Sorry guys, the new job has f###ed my free time up, hence me not being much in MyBB anymore .

So... The update.

The car feels muuuuuch better.
He mentioned that there are some deep burn marks and the could only skim to a point where it was safe.
I would probably get this problem in 10 years time again.

I do feel that the car is less powerful in comparison to when I first got it. Like, if I quick snap (change to second and floor where the tires usually screech for a split second - this was only a power test), I don't get the screech anymore, which tells me that the is less power.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Sorry guys, the new job has f###ed my free time up, hence me not being much in MyBB anymore .

So... The update.

He mentioned that there are some deep burn marks and the could only skim to a point where it was safe.

I do feel that the car is less powerful in comparison to when I first got it. Like, if I quick snap (change to second and floor where the tires usually screech for a split second - this was only a power test), I don't get the screech anymore, which tells me that the is less power.
Did they use the correct spark plugs? That would be my first suspicion, people sometimes take this for granted and buy alternatives for some unknown reason.

teejay 44

So... The update.

Sell it NOW. While all is working. Don't wait.......

Jaws677

Expert Member
After a head skim you will have a higher compression engine. If you can manage engine knock with a higher octane fuel you should be making more power than stock.

When last did you clean the flux capacitor?

teejay 44

How much would he get for it and what will he be able to get with the cash that's better than his current ride?
If it was me I would cut my losses and sell the vehicle now that it's going again. Cause Im pretty sure something else is going to break soon again. That's what I would do. Rather spend a little money on another well looked after 2nd hand vehicle. Maybe not as nice but reliable.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
If it was me I would cut my losses and sell the vehicle now that it's going again. Cause Im pretty sure something else is going to break soon again. That's what I would do. Rather spend a little money on another well looked after 2nd hand vehicle. Maybe not as nice but reliable.
It is indeed tempting after everything he has been through with car.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
It is indeed tempting after everything he has been through with car.
Yeah this has been on my mind for quite some time, then I can finally close this thread .

But there are a lot of other expensive things that I have to do this year that is not related to the car. If I sell this car now then I'll have to settle for something crappier, more reliable, and deal with monthly installments where I actually need this money elsewhere.

The other argument is that after all the money that I spent on this car, one would think that it would be pretty solid now, and never experience another problem like this again.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Yeah this has been on my mind for quite some time, then I can finally close this thread .

But there are a lot of other expensive things that I have to do this year that is not related to the car. If I sell this car now then I'll have to settle for something crappier, more reliable, and deal with monthly installments where I actually need this money elsewhere.

The other argument is that after all the money that I spent on this car, one would think that it would be pretty solid now, and never experience another problem like this again.
Were you able to identify the cause of the gasket failure, because it still a mystery to me.