My Beloved Auris

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Ok... I am back...

Car has been losing lots of power, jerking in second gear, and switch off while driving...\

Took my Car to Toyota on Friday.

Cleaned the injectors and everything that they could possibly check.
Swapped coils and whatnot...

There is a misfire.

It turns out that there is no compression in my first and second cylinder.

The fix could be one of three things: Broken valve, dirty cylinders, or the rings need to be changed, apparently.

Would opening the engine be more expensive than buying a new engine?
What else can I do? After this, I am done with this car.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Sheesh sounds like this is a real lemon of a car or is badly abused, but from the way you have come across I suspect and hope the former.

Opening the engine will be cheaper, but you never know what you will find. Find a reliable mechanic who will look into the cylinder with a camera through the spark plug hole

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Ok... I am back...

Car has been losing lots of power, jerking in second gear, and switch off while driving...\

There is a misfire.

The fix could be one of three things: Broken valve, dirty cylinders, or the rings need to be changed, apparently.

Where is the car now?

airborne

Honorary Master
Ok... I am back...

There is a misfire.

First thing is find an independent mechanic and get the vehicle out of the clutches of the dark lord and then move on.

The advise to use a endoscope camera to have a better look at what's going on is good.

Toyota engines are normally bullet proof so perhaps just burnt valves or similar.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Sheesh sounds like this is a real lemon of a car or is badly abused, but from the way you have come across I suspect and hope the former.

Opening the engine will be cheaper, but you never know what you will find. Find a reliable mechanic who will look into the cylinder with a camera through the spark plug hole
Yeah well, when I had the gearbox fixed, the guy told me that there was a factory fault on this thing.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
First thing is find an independent mechanic and get the vehicle out of the clutches of the dark lord and then move on.

The advise to use a endoscope camera to have a better look at what's going on is good.

Toyota engines are normally bullet proof so perhaps just burnt valves or similar.
His reply:
Yes I do but you won't be able to see if there is damage on a compression ring the only way is to strip and see unfortunately

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
His reply:
Yes I do but you won't be able to see if there is damage on a compression ring the only way is to strip and see unfortunately

If it won't hurt and won't take long he should just do it, he could see if there is obvious damage from a broken valve or a damaged piston head etc and give you choices to go ahead and look further or decide to go with a new engine

unobeat

What a roller coaster of issues you have with your Auris.
My mom Auris has been very reliable for the past 7 years we have owned it since new and it is currently sitting on 160 000km.

It has been going for services at Toyota and i will be doing the services myself
Things that have gone wrong outside normal services:

1x Battery
Starter needed new brushes(It get started to many times to be moved around the yard)
Front shock set
Needs new steering rack and the 165 000km service is coming up.

I bought the Auris from my late mom and it has been reliable with no issues at all.
It is currently sitting on 245 000km and faultless and i have doing the maintenance myself.

Maintenance done:
Replaced the Fan belt
Gearbox oil
Set of tyres

unobeat

Ok... I am back...

There is a misfire.

Geez this car seems not to behave.
Is there no independent shop that you can use instead of going o Toyota for repairs?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Geez this car seems not to behave.
Is there no independent shop that you can use instead of going o Toyota for repairs?
The guy from Toyota said that he can do a private job for me, the one that found the problem.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
My suspicion is that it's the coils that are faulty, I know Toyota says there's no compression but compression just doesn't disappear just like that, there were supposed to be early warnings.

OP you say you once replaced a coil, in my experience on those engines if one coil goes in those engines you will soon have issues on the others.

I would first take a chance and look for coils, all four of them, don't buy the expensive Toyota ones, go to Midas or Goldwagen, take a sample with.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Ok I am reading off of the notes from the checkup.

To narrow down and determine where the problem is:
Cleaned Injectors
Cleaned Throttle Body
Checked Spark Plugs
Swapped Coils
Did Compression Test (No.1, No2 - no compression)

@TheChamp It was the Toyota guy at the service center that replaced and tested the coils.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Ok I am reading off of the notes from the checkup.

To narrow down and determine where the problem is:
Cleaned Injectors
Cleaned Throttle Body
Checked Spark Plugs
Swapped Coils
Did Compression Test (No.1, No2 - no compression)

@TheChamp It was the Toyota guy at the service center that replaced and tested the coils.
So they swapped coils with working ones? I am just having my own insecurities as far as the honesty of a dealership is concerned, especially when they see that they are dealing with a customer who knows very little.

I know going around looking for secondhand third opinions is costly so maybe just take the technicians offer of a private job.