Netflix cracks down on password sharing

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Netflix cracks down on password sharing

A coalition that includes Netflix Inc., HBO and cable-industry titans is stepping up efforts to crack down on password sharing, discussing new measures to close a loophole that could be costing companies billions of dollars in lost revenue each year.

Programmers and cable-TV distributors are considering an array of tactics to cut off people who borrow credentials from friends and relatives to access programming without paying for it.

[Bloomberg]

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
aka, creating computer algorithms that will just end up frustrating legitimate users... we've been there before.

Gallderhen

“I feel like I’m beating my head against the wall,” Tom Rutledge, the chief executive officer of Charter Communications Inc., said during an earnings call last month. “It’s just too easy to get the product without paying for it.”

This is complete and utter BS when it comes to streaming. If I pay for 4 streams I should be allowed to stream to 4 separate devices at the same time, regardless if those devices are in Johannesburg or Cape Town.

-G-

irBosOtter

Expert Member
“I feel like I’m beating my head against the wall,” Tom Rutledge, the chief executive officer of Charter Communications Inc., said during an earnings call last month. “It’s just too easy to get the product without paying for it.”

This is complete and utter BS when it comes to streaming. If I pay for 4 streams I should be allowed to stream to 4 separate devices at the same time, regardless if those devices are in Johannesburg or Cape Town.

-G-
Yes, and you are allowed to stream from 4 different locations as per their T&C's are you not able to? What people are not allowed to do is share the creds with non-family members or share between friends etc.
That's what they don't like. And I agree if you signed up for their service and went through the T&C's you would know you should not share it.

Now everyone is going to suffer because of some cheap arse idiots sharing one account between multiple housholds

APoc184

Honorary Master
aka, creating computer algorithms that will just end up frustrating legitimate users... we've been there before.
Jip. Seems because I logged in on work laptop to add kids user profiles and also logged in at home on MiBox app. It now says that it is detecting an Adblocker or Proxy being used and it is not allowed.

Will try and contact their support tonight. But it has been dead for 2 days now. even after logging out everywhere and also restarting all routers and devices.

TheJman

Expert Member
"Please confirm you're not a robot by selecting all the pictures with partly cloudy skies"

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
The number of simultaneous screens allowed on an account is a gimmick when restricted to one physical person, since for most people you can't realistically watch up to 4 different shows at the same time.