Netflix cracks down on password sharing

Jase

Executive Member
Netflix has yet to crack down on me for using their services outside of my house. I've used their services in a number of different countries without issue. I do however only use my profile and not the wife or kids.

StevenC

Expert Member
Netflix: Concerned about password sharing
Also Netflix: 1 password for 4 devices which means we have to share that password so that others in the household can watch a separate device which means they have access to account information and can change details on the account. Great job on that security there Netflix.

At least make it so each profile on the account has it's own login that can only browse and view content. This would also aid the password sharing problem, hampering the ability to then "profile share", as it would mean only one device could be playing that profile's content. No more account info being leaked outside of the household by a kid sharing his Netflix with a friend on the sly.

Swa

Honorary Master
Netflix: Concerned about password sharing
Also Netflix: 1 password for 4 devices which means we have to share that password so that others in the household can watch a separate device which means they have access to account information and can change details on the account. Great job on that security there Netflix.

At least make it so each profile on the account has it's own login that can only browse and view content. This would also aid the password sharing problem, hampering the ability to then "profile share", as it would mean only one device could be playing that profile's content. No more account info being leaked outside of the household by a kid sharing his Netflix with a friend on the sly.
That would exacerbate the problem. People in your household shouldn't be a security concern.

StevenC

Expert Member
That would exacerbate the problem. People in your household shouldn't be a security concern.
Would you care to elaborate on why it would?

Lets change the example, 3 housemates contribute towards a guy who already has an account. Then they share the password with friends / partners because they are dumb like that. Is it a trust issue? Certainly, yes, but there is no accounting for people who think it's harmless (because it mostly is, as the content is freely available via more nefarious means).
That is now an account breach. Basically having the account management on the same login as the profiles is an account breach, no matter who is watching (kids, housemates, parents, the cats, in-laws, etc).

If it becomes a profile based login, then you can set profile options, like:
• How many devices maximum can a profile use simultaneously? This limits usage on the profile, which would help prevent account sharing (2 people cannot watch the profile on 2 devices, meaning that at least when the person in the household wants to watch, the person they shared with cannot).
• Two-factor authentication (for the really security conscious).
• Locking down parental controls (which can easily be changed by anyone currently, including the kids).
• Enabling a curfew - for those misbehaving cats with their meowbile devices.

This would also give the profiles a bit of privacy, but obviously not from the "root account" - just in case monitoring of content is required (adult content being inappropriately tagged for whatever reason).

Swa

Honorary Master
Would you care to elaborate on why it would?

Lets change the example, 3 housemates contribute towards a guy who already has an account. Then they share the password with friends / partners because they are dumb like that. Is it a trust issue? Certainly, yes, but there is no accounting for people who think it's harmless (because it mostly is, as the content is freely available via more nefarious means).
That is now an account breach. Basically having the account management on the same login as the profiles is an account breach, no matter who is watching (kids, housemates, parents, the cats, in-laws, etc).

If it becomes a profile based login, then you can set profile options, like:
• How many devices maximum can a profile use simultaneously? This limits usage on the profile, which would help prevent account sharing (2 people cannot watch the profile on 2 devices, meaning that at least when the person in the household wants to watch, the person they shared with cannot).
• Two-factor authentication (for the really security conscious).
• Locking down parental controls (which can easily be changed by anyone currently, including the kids).
• Enabling a curfew - for those misbehaving cats with their meowbile devices.

This would also give the profiles a bit of privacy, but obviously not from the "root account" - just in case monitoring of content is required (adult content being inappropriately tagged for whatever reason).
That's not their target market. Having your wife and child watch on the same account isn't a security concern or at least not supposed to be one as those are under your control. Logins are all stored on device anyway. As it is the only thing keeping people from password sharing is providing access to the account. By allowing different profiles with their own separate unique logins will completely remove that barrier and have people share passwords even more. Somehow I think that's what people want under the guise of "security".

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Isn't the entire point of allowing 4 streams is so that each member of the house can view their own content? Let's take your average family - mom, pop and 2 kiddos. Mom watches her soaps in the am at home, pop accesses the news from work, and kiddo 1 logs in from uni while kiddo 2 watches cartoons on the car pool to and from school. isn't that exactly how it is supposed to work?

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
And those hitting the Terms and Conditions anvil, those get changed regularly ... , so they are now, no longer what I signed up with/for.

gimpex

;) As someone who is currently paying for his content, i have every right to feel entitled. I'm paying for a service to suit my needs.
If they change their terms and conditions and make their products and services unaffordable and unappealing (like the road dstv have been taking) then alternatives only have a chance to take flight once people are defiant and can justify why they are.
They not changing their terms and conditions .

They just might enforce them more than they are currently

Zoomzoom

Executive Member

oh please every few weeks someone or the other changes their T&C's - I have youtube notifications in my inbox right now about their latest changes. Last week it was FB. What you agree to when you sign up is not how it stays.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member

Go have a look - YouTube have just changed theirs for the umpteenth time. Each time they change them, they should realize that those Term and Conditions have become valueless. Tho the might still have some doudtfull legality when backed up by 500 million worth of lawyers.

genetic

Honorary Master
And those hitting the Terms and Conditions anvil, those get changed regularly ... , so they are now, no longer what I signed up with/for.
So then why did you agree to the terms when they said that they may change?

YOU are the one who agreed to it.

8.5. Changes to Terms of Use and Assignment. Netflix may, from time to time, change these Terms of Use. We will notify you at least 30 days before such changes apply to you. We may assign or transfer our agreement with you including our associated rights and obligations at any time and you agree to cooperate with us in connection with such an assignment or transfer.
It's a dumb argument.

Dolby

Honorary Master
It does not say under one single roof.
Oh I was just having fun ... I actually do agree that if you pay for 4 streams, you should get 4 streams regardless. I'm pretty sure when they sat around the boardroom table in the beginning ... they knew everyone would be sharing.

Like I said earlier, I also think the easiest way to 'crack down' is changing the packages - rather don't even sell a multiple stream package. Offer a single stream package at R50.00 - and they'l probably get a massive spike in joins.

binarycape

“I feel like I’m beating my head against the wall,” Tom Rutledge, the chief executive officer of Charter Communications Inc., said during an earnings call last month. “It’s just too easy to get the product without paying for it.”

This is complete and utter BS when it comes to streaming. If I pay for 4 streams I should be allowed to stream to 4 separate devices at the same time, regardless if those devices are in Johannesburg or Cape Town.

-G-
Agree. My daughter is allowed 5 users on the package she pays for so how do you stop sharing a package like that? Only by not selling multi user packages. It's their own fault.

randburgred

I follow that this is a problem for subscription services that preclude you from watching because of geographic restraints but Netflix and Amazon should not have the same problem

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
The problem is that they look at this and say, if 1 out of those 4 shared connections can be converted in to an extra paying client, we can up our income by 25% for no extra cost, that is the bug, that is biting their asses. The Greedy twats, cannot resist that carrot.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
So then why did you agree to the terms when they said that they may change?

YOU are the one who agreed to it.

It's a dumb argument.
Now just wait for your bank to follow this precedent, with your car hire purchase and you house mortgage.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Cheap schits sharing passwords. It's already so cheap, but I guess unless it's not free, this will always happen.

Reactions: Swa