Netflix cracks down on password sharing

genetic

Honorary Master
This is complete and utter BS when it comes to streaming. If I pay for 4 streams I should be allowed to stream to 4 separate devices at the same time, regardless if those devices are in Johannesburg or Cape Town.
You blind? Do you need glasses?

You agreed to Netflix's T&C's, now you want to act surprised?

The only thing you're doing is exacerbating your own stupidity by not reading the terms you agreed to.

The joke is on you.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
You blind? Do you need glasses?

You agreed to Netflix's T&C's, now you want to act surprised?

The only thing you're doing is exacerbating your own stupidity by not reading the terms you agreed to.

The joke is on you.
Calm down Mr Netflix Police

Swa

Honorary Master
This is complete and utter BS when it comes to streaming. If I pay for 4 streams I should be allowed to stream to 4 separate devices at the same time, regardless if those devices are in Johannesburg or Cape Town.
They never claimed you can't, as long as it's YOU and your household doing it. Stop trying to justify breaking the terms and conditions you agreed to with this streams nonsense.

Marius Flash

Expert Member
They're not changing this part of the terms, just maybe enforcing them. You didn't sign up for a free for all so stop beating that anvil.

This just shows again why streaming in its current form cannot work. In time they'll up the price and make you pay the subscription for each stream. This is why we can't have nice things.
So basically you want to get a service for free that you are suppose to pay for? That is illegal.

I love how people say, if only we had the options to choose then we will pay, well now you do, it's called Netflix, just pay for your subscription and stop trying to get stuff for free.
I pay for Netflix, guess you aren't!

stefan9

Executive Member
Define household.. Its a loose term open to interpretation. Nowhere in their terms do they define it.

Marius Flash

Expert Member
How is Netflix going to police if it is YOU and your household? You pay for a subscription and you can stream using other devices. If Netflix doesn't want you to give your password to friends besides under your own roof and for your own family, then use the technology to do so. Once implemented with this change, let's see how Netflix looses subscribes in the 10 of thousands, I want be one of them as I am prepared to pay for their premium service, if my friends can't benefit from my subscription. Guess they will have to get their own!

Speedster

Executive Member
How is Netflix going to police if it is YOU and your household? You pay for a subscription and you can stream using other devices. If Netflix doesn't want you to give your password to friends besides under your own roof and for your own family, then use the technology to do so. Once implemented with this change, let's see how Netflix looses subscribes in the 10 of thousands, I want be one of them as I am prepared to pay for their premium service, if my friends can't benefit from my subscription. Guess they will have to get their own!
What change are they implementing?

Swa

Honorary Master
I pay for Netflix, guess you aren't!
Which is why I don't watch it. If you don't pay for it you shouldn't be watching it as well.

Define household.. Its a loose term open to interpretation. Nowhere in their terms do they define it.
A poor excuse. A household is commonly regarded as people living together on a permanent basis and usually sleeping there. Obviously they're allowing some leeway but if people abuse that and extend it to friends and family they're going to lose it.

When they implement changes? We have to wait and see? As the article states.... They loosing millions of dollars in sharing passwords.
And if they do it will likely be very gradual like starting with someone in South Africa watching it while someone in New Zealand as well.

gimpex

Define it how you want but you , your mate in his own house , and your dad by the sea do not constitute one household.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
So many hypocrites on here. Before Netflix were in SA, people were using VPNs to bypass, and make use of the service. So many people before Netflix were downloading torrents, and didn't give a **** about terms and conditions. Now they want to be all prim and proper about terms and conditions

And im pretty sure those trying to point out the terms and conditions, were the ones who would pirate and use VPNs etc as well.

stefan9

Executive Member
A poor excuse. A household is commonly regarded as people living together on a permanent basis and usually sleeping there. Obviously they're allowing some leeway but if people abuse that and extend it to friends and family they're going to lose it.
Commonly regarded is not a legal definition. They make no definition of it in their terms.

You may consider only as people who sleep there. Some of us define our house hold as our closest relatives even when they aren't permanently resided at said home...

Define it how you want but you , your mate in his own house , and your dad by the sea do not constitute one household.
If you say so. I would consider my mate part of the household if he comes my house every day. I would also consider my dad part of my house hold if comes to my house on a semi regular basis.

As their is no definition in those terms, their is no binding rule on what constitutes a household. So good luck to netflix to try and enforce their terms...

Swa

Honorary Master
So many hypocrites on here. Before Netflix were in SA, people were using VPNs to bypass, and make use of the service. So many people before Netflix were downloading torrents, and didn't give a **** about terms and conditions. Now they want to be all prim and proper about terms and conditions

And im pretty sure those trying to point out the terms and conditions, were the ones who would pirate and use VPNs etc as well.
Speak for yourself. People are always saying how if only they could pay a fair price. Now they can but instead they've changed to oh why not share it with more than one people. Fact remains if you want to share then do so but don't try to justify it and don't come crying when it eventually all comes tumbling down and they stop it at the inconvenience of everyone. This is a prime example of what we call "gee die pinkie en hy gryp die hele hand".

Commonly regarded is not a legal definition. They make no definition of it in their terms.

You may consider only as people who sleep there. Some of us define our house hold as our closest relatives even when they aren't permanently resided at said home...
Why should they? You know very well that when they allow multiple streams it's not for all and sundry who should really have their own subscription. You can try to justify it all you want but you know you're not acting in good faith.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
For all the terms and conditions heroes out there, what happens if to all those who travel and work always from home? What if I am working overseas or even staying in a hotel for a night or two?

Do I need a new subscription if I want to watch the Netflix I have paid for to watch?

gimpex

For all the terms and conditions heroes out there, what happens if to all those who travel and work always from home? What if I am working overseas or even staying in a hotel for a night or two?

Do I need a new subscription if I want to watch the Netflix I have paid for to watch?
I’m sure Netflix would have no problem with the actual subscriber watching it in different locations . But because of those entitled few who deem it right to abuse the system we might not have that luxury in the future

Reactions: Swa

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Ferraris are also cheap to someone. What's the objection to people wanting to save money anyway?
Right. Ok.

Ferraris are not cheap to me, so I don't have one. It's not my right to have one.

Can't even afford Netflix? Shame.

Swa

Honorary Master
Is that a legal term?
Is that a dodge? Really are you acting in good faith by using a service you paid for in a different location or are looking for "reasons" like someone on here as to why their friend should be regarded as a member of the household?

You can answer that question to yourself but it's just funny how people complain over others not paying for their electricity but then turn around and feel so entitled themselves that they don't have to pay for a cheap service.