Netflix cracks down on password sharing

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The problem is that they look at this and say, if 1 out of those 4 shared connections can be converted in to an extra paying client, we can up our income by 25% for no extra cost, that is the bug, that is biting their asses. The Greedy twats, cannot resist that carrot.
25%? If one of the four takes out a new contract they're doubling their income from that group.

Marius Flash

Expert Member
Guess what will happen now?? Dstv now is going to become a problem with sharing passwords too? Netflix and Dstv are heading for huge losses further if they enforce the sharing of passwords to friends. Good luck with loss of further revenue Netflix and Dstv.

gimpex

oh please every few weeks someone or the other changes their T&C's - I have youtube notifications in my inbox right now about their latest changes. Last week it was FB. What you agree to when you sign up is not how it stays.
That’s got nothing to do with this discussion. Their point about single household usage has been in their terms long before they came To SA and quite possibly from the very beginning .

gimpex

Go have a look - YouTube have just changed theirs for the umpteenth time. Each time they change them, they should realize that those Term and Conditions have become valueless. Tho the might still have some doudtfull legality when backed up by 500 million worth of lawyers.
But relating to this issue they not changing their terms .

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
How do you make a comparison to the T&C's of Netflix to a bank and home mortgage?
You know what a precedent is, and understand what it means ... , so follow on from there if you have the ability and capacity. If not don't bother.

genetic

Honorary Master
You know what a precedent is, and understand what it means ... , so follow on from there if you have the ability and capacity. If not don't bother.
You getting upset because you don't agree to the terms that you agreed to? :ROFL:

I think you may be the one who lacks the ability to understand.

SoldierMan

Guess what will happen now?? Dstv now is going to become a problem with sharing passwords too? Netflix and Dstv are heading for huge losses further if they enforce the sharing of passwords to friends. Good luck with loss of further revenue Netflix and Dstv.
So basically you want to get a service for free that you are suppose to pay for? That is illegal.

I love how people say, if only we had the options to choose then we will pay, well now you do, it's called Netflix, just pay for your subscription and stop trying to get stuff for free.

Reactions: Swa

Swa

Honorary Master
And those hitting the Terms and Conditions anvil, those get changed regularly ... , so they are now, no longer what I signed up with/for.
They're not changing this part of the terms, just maybe enforcing them. You didn't sign up for a free for all so stop beating that anvil.

This just shows again why streaming in its current form cannot work. In time they'll up the price and make you pay the subscription for each stream. This is why we can't have nice things.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
Bull twat. They're not setting any precedent here. It's the same as when they started blocking proxies. Go learn what setting a precedent is.

It's also quite funny how you call a company that's been taking a loss greedy. LOL

Speedster

Executive Member
At the moment they're not doing anything, they're just looking at potential options as to what they might be able to do. Maybe we should hold our horses until they actually decide to do something?

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
I agree that you shouldn't share your password /login details with all and sundry, but how are they going to differentiate between a multi-person household with individuals using their devices in different locations, some at the same time, some at different times, in every combo possible and some friend you decided to help out?

The only way is to shut down all multiple uses of accounts and force people to use one account for each device, but that decidedly acts against the legit user with several people and several devices in one household using it the way it should be used. So ... either they suck it up, because surely it can't be that high a percentage of users who misuse it, or they come up with a new model of use. What they can't do is change the model and still charge the same.

Swa

Honorary Master
I agree that you shouldn't share your password /login details with all and sundry, but how are they going to differentiate between a multi-person household with individuals using their devices in different locations, some at the same time, some at different times, in every combo possible and some friend you decided to help out?

The only way is to shut down all multiple uses of accounts and force people to use one account for each device, but that decidedly acts against the legit user with several people and several devices in one household using it the way it should be used. So ... either they suck it up, because surely it can't be that high a percentage of users who misuse it, or they come up with a new model of use. What they can't do is change the model and still charge the same.
That's why they haven't done anything yet. It will require some good analytical algorithms (I'm not using AI as there's no such thing yet) to analyse behaviour and see that someone isn't using the service in the same place as the other residents and indeed at another place. Then there's the issue taht IPs aren't tied to people or locations. Either way this is going to make one party suffer all because of a few bad actors and they are the ones shouting the loudest.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Especially if they want to start doing it by IP.

Many households have more than one ISP in play with different IP ranges.

noxibox

Honorary Master
It would also be completely legitimate to log into your account at someone else's house to watch something. I can't imagine any reliable way to enforce this.

Cheap schits sharing passwords. It's already so cheap, but I guess unless it's not free, this will always happen.
Ferraris are also cheap to someone. What's the objection to people wanting to save money anyway?

So basically you want to get a service for free that you are suppose to pay for? That is illegal.

I love how people say, if only we had the options to choose then we will pay, well now you do, it's called Netflix, just pay for your subscription and stop trying to get stuff for free.
Can you cite a law that makes it illegal to breach the terms and conditions? Seems like a civil matter to me.

If a subscription is being paid by someone then it isn't free. Like it or not people share things with each other.

Swa

Honorary Master
It would also be completely legitimate to log into your account at someone else's house to watch something. I can't imagine any reliable way to enforce this.

Ferraris are also cheap to someone. What's the objection to people wanting to save money anyway?

Can you cite a law that makes it illegal to breach the terms and conditions? Seems like a civil matter to me.

If a subscription is being paid by someone then it isn't free. Like it or not people share things with each other.
It's doing it against the terms and condition which they have a right to decide. It's no different to piracy. It's still illegal. It's just not criminal.

SoldierMan

Come on man you're fooling no one but yourself.

genetic

Honorary Master
It's doing it against the terms and condition which they have a right to decide. It's no different to piracy. It's still illegal. It's just not criminal.
Exactly. There's no legality surrounding the use of password sharing, but Netflix has the right to enforce any terms stipulated by the agreement that the user signed. Their service, their rules - your signature.

adamto99

Exactly. There's no legality surrounding the usa today protonmail use of password sharing, but Netflix has the right to enforce any terms stipulated by the agreement that the user signed. Their service, their rules - your signature.
This is complete and utter BS when it comes to streaming. If I pay for 4 streams I should be allowed to stream to 4 separate devices at the same time, regardless if those devices are in Johannesburg or Cape Town.

Last edited: