Netflix versus ShowMax

beans100

Honorary Master
One feature Netflix doesn’t have, though, is the ability to download episodes or movies for later viewing.
Define later viewing? Why do you need to download it, if you can stream it when you're ready to watch it later?

Bighit

Expert Member
Define later viewing? Why do you need to download it, if you can stream it when you're ready to watch it later?
Perhaps if it buffers on a 2mb line? Download at night during unmetered data time to watch the next day?

hawker

Honorary Master
I picked Netflix, I'm sure their SA catalogue will grow with time.

Park@82

Honorary Master
Where is the Chromecast support that Showmax promised before the end of 2015?

Jan

Drifting in the black
Perhaps if it buffers on a 2mb line? Download at night during unmetered data time to watch the next day?
If memory serves you can download and then start viewing anytime, but once you've started watching something you downloaded you have 48 hours within which to finish it.

The download features aren't really aimed at people with home broadband connections. They seem to be aimed at folks without broadband at home. You download your shows/movies to your smartphone at work or while on a Wi-Fi hotspot (OntapTV and AlwaysOn launched a special deal for this), and then you can watch them at home.

beans100

Honorary Master
If memory serves you can download and then start viewing anytime, but once you've started watching something you downloaded you have 48 hours within which to finish it.

The download features aren't really aimed at people with home broadband connections. They seem to be aimed at folks without broadband at home. You download your shows/movies to your smartphone at work or while on a Wi-Fi hotspot (OntapTV and AlwaysOn launched a special deal for this), and then you can watch them at home.
So it gets deleted in a set time? So no storing on an external to watch next Christmas holiday? So not really a great feature. I mean, what if something happens at the time you want to watch it and you can't get to watch it before it gets deleted?

Jan

Drifting in the black
So it gets deleted in a set time? So no storing on an external to watch next Christmas holiday? So not really a great feature. I mean, what if something happens at the time you want to watch it and you can't get to watch it before it gets deleted?
There are two different windows within which it gets deleted. You can redownload it if you couldn't watch something within the time allotted.

Here are the details (OntapTV works similarly, if memory serves): http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadcasting/149655-showmax-now-offers-downloads-for-offline-viewing.html

Up to 25 TV shows and movies can be stored at any one point using the app on Android. Storage is also limited by the capacity of the device.

The content will be viewable for 30 days, and once you start watching an episode or movie it will be available for the next 48 hours for you to finish. The same content can be downloaded again if needed.

*EDIT: For people without home Internet, I think it can be pretty great feature. I wonder how many folks without home Internet have access to decent broadband at work or elsewhere, and can justify the R89 or R99 to subscribe to OntapTV or ShowMax, though?

Last edited:

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
There are two different windows within which it gets deleted. You can redownload it if you couldn't watch something within the time allotted.

Here are the details (OntapTV works similarly, if memory serves): http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadcasting/149655-showmax-now-offers-downloads-for-offline-viewing.html

Up to 25 TV shows and movies can be stored at any one point using the app on Android. Storage is also limited by the capacity of the device.

The content will be viewable for 30 days, and once you start watching an episode or movie it will be available for the next 48 hours for you to finish. The same content can be downloaded again if needed.

*EDIT: For people without home Internet, I think it can be pretty great feature. I wonder how many folks without home Internet have access to decent broadband at work or elsewhere, and can justify the R89 or R99 to subscribe to OntapTV or ShowMax, though?

Download media at work? That's not going to go down well.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Then you can buy the show on Itunes.

It's obviously a bonus feature on a streaming service which is actually pretty good considering the state of broadband in ZA.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
That's great if you want to watch a show in your phone or tablet, but most people will want to watch shows on their TV, and so far Showmax has really failed with this. I would love to watch Showmax, but I currently have no way to watch it on my TV, so it doesn't make sense for me to subscribe.

jetlee

Id think the download feature would be great for public transport .. download at home on the wifi, watch on the train / bus, no 3g costs ..