Network Problems..

digitool

I think this is the correct forum.

Hi guys,
I got a small problem that I need some assistance with. My student flat has 4 four pc's connected to a homegroup. My pc is the only one that cannot access the other computers on the homegroup. This is funny because well, I created the homegroup and then my pc crashed and everyone continued to exist on the same network. I didn't see this as a problem when reconnecting and I had assumed correctly because I connected and everything worked fine. A couple days I started having issues and now i can not access the other pc's.

Here's what I know
1. I can see the other homegroup computers.
2. Other homegroup computers can see me.
3. Other homegroup computers can communicate.
4. I cannot access the other homegroup computers.
5. Homegroup computers cannot see me.
6. We all have access to the internet.

Network discovery is on.
File sharing is on.
We are all joined on the same network (i.e. 13DIGS)
Password protected sharing is off.

As you have assumed we are all running Windows 7 Professional with the latest updates from Microsoft.

Anyone know what the issue is?

carstensdj

Expert Member
I think this is the correct forum.

Hi guys,
I got a small problem that I need some assistance with. My student flat has 4 four pc's connected to a homegroup. My pc is the only one that cannot access the other computers on the homegroup. This is funny because well, I created the homegroup and then my pc crashed and everyone continued to exist on the same network. I didn't see this as a problem when reconnecting and I had assumed correctly because I connected and everything worked fine. A couple days I started having issues and now i can not access the other pc's.

Here's what I know
1. I can see the other homegroup computers.
2. Other homegroup computers can see me.
3. Other homegroup computers can communicate.
4. I cannot access the other homegroup computers.
5. Homegroup computers cannot see me.
6. We all have access to the internet.

Network discovery is on.
File sharing is on.
We are all joined on the same network (i.e. 13DIGS)
Password protected sharing is off.

As you have assumed we are all running Windows 7 Professional with the latest updates from Microsoft.

Anyone know what the issue is?
Well can they see you or not?

Can you ping any of the other PC's on that network? Can they ping you? Are you connected wireless or cabled?

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Homegroups.are.from.the.devil

Just saying it causes more file sharing headaches than it solves

deepdiver

Well base level testing would be to Test Network:
type cmd in run or open command prompt
ipconfig /all
check gateway and your ip address
ping 127.0.0.1
ping your address
ping gateway
ping other computers
IF THESE ARE ALL GOOD then continue to next step;
Next check microsoft windows
might be a plan to recreate the homegroup

test again

howardb

Expert Member
I did away with my Home Group and shared all my PC's/HDD's with "everyone" on a "Home" network - fixed the issue (this group is not connected to internet though - possible security risk if you do?)

Is your firewall blocking anything?

hungrybeaver

Expert Member
Sounds like a file sharing setting or firewall maybe?
He says password protection is off in Sharing Centre. Possibly a firewall problem, so to test he needs to turn off ALL firewalls in Windows 7 and see if it works. If it works, start enabling the firewalls 1 by 1 until he finds the fault.

It could also be permissions on the actual shares that haven't been configured correctly.

carstensdj

Expert Member
As mentioned above, make sure your Windows Firewall is off, COMPLETELY and drop your files into the "Public Shares" folder and see if your mates can access it that way? Much prefered the homegroup/File Sharing setup in XP as opposed to 7...

digitool

Hey doods,

this issue has been most frustrating. Somehow my firewall had denied me internet access. I have uninstalled FortKnow Firewall and now I have internet access again.

I will be attempting the home network route right now, hopefully it is resolved. I quite like FortKnox firewall and will take better care in the installation of it this time round. Do you guys/girls have any preference for firewall programs?

Update*: I have gained access to my home network. I'm annoyed at my implementation of my firewall. Well, we learn from mistakes.

Last edited:

deepdiver

Ya don't really need but if you are paranoid use comodo firewall is pretty awesome

digitool

lol. Yea I prefer their AV more tho, and one can not have both. Thanks for the assistance all.

digitool

A different kind of network problem...

So after installing Ubuntu 11.04 everything is working fine.
Now I've been looking to connect to the network in my digs. There are four of us and three use Windows 7 Ultimate and I have made the change to Ubuntu, much to the dismay of my housemates.

I installed samba and set the server settings to windows share, I have also pointed it to the correct workgroup, we will call workgroup.
They all exist on a homegroup setting, in order to share all their shared stuffs.
I did some research and I found out Samba doesnt necessarily support homegroups as such, yet i still dont see how this could be a problem because files are still shareable otherwise.
Ive pinged and everyone is ping and so forth.
Now, I can access the one pc, and read/write. Yet that pc can see my pc "Ubuntu-PC", but once he opens that network location there is nothing inside. And I have shared and given permissions to everyone within the digs in order to see a respective share.
The other computers are all permission problems as our network is stable. But with pc which can see me, I feel i need to make changes to permissions in windows or add my user to their registry. Can anyone confirm this?

These are the resources I used.
http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/04/connect-ubuntu-11-04-and-windows-systems-via-sambapart-one/
http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/05/connect-ubuntu-11-04-and-windows-systems-via-sambapart-two/
http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/05/connect-ubuntu-11-04-and-windows-systems-via-sambapart-three/
http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/04/share-files-folders-ubuntu-11-04-natty-narwhal/

Because my housemates refuse to touch ubuntu out of comfort for the time being I cannot ask them to brainstorm and assist me with this issue. I also feel this is rather rudimentary.

Any Ideas?