New(ish) and future parents tips/tricks thread

The_MAC

Expert Member
This isn't limited to nappies - you can take back anything they stock. We took back most of what we got from the baby shower and swapped it for stuff we wanted.
I don't like Baby City for this reason - feels like pre CPA days where they deny you a cash refund - many times they don't have an alternative product in stock, then I am forced to take a voucher, tsek.

I prefer Dischem/Checkers/PnP for that, they refund cash, not fake money..

Superjakes

Expert Member
I don't like Baby City for this reason - feels like pre CPA days where they deny you a cash refund - many times they don't have an alternative product in stock, then I am forced to take a voucher, tsek.

I see where you're coming from. The difference is that Dischem and PnP require proof of purchase for that (both from personal experience) while Baby City does it without asking questions. That helps for items received on baby showers or from well meaning family, etc.

The_MAC

Expert Member
I see where you're coming from. The difference is that Dischem and PnP require proof of purchase for that (both from personal experience) while Baby City does it without asking questions. That helps for items received on baby showers or from well meaning family, etc.
Oh ok, wasn't aware that they give vouchers when returning without a slip. I vaguely remember trying that and being told no, maybe that was just that one store.

Sepeng

Expert Member
I like the premise of the thread but I dunno - I find the practical side is so different to the theory. I've got two gremlins and what works for one doesn't work for the other. There's no one absolutely correct way of raising children so just cos someone is doing things different to how you would do it doesn't mean they're wrong or you're right.

So my advise is generally, don't stress too much.

First, you're not alone and your circumstances are not unique. Kid is crying through the night or not sleeping well or not eating? Don't stress, there's plenty of other parents going through the same thing. I dunno, I found comfort when talking to other parents to find out they were going through the same and worse than me.

Second, don't worry too much about your child hitting certain milestones at a certain age. Yes of course you should monitor that they're developing OK but don't worry that your child isn't potty trained by month x or walking by month y (cos you know, Sally's child was walking when they were 4 months old and doing long division by 8 months). I don't know of any graduate that received their degree in nappies. They'll get there.

Which leads me to point 3 - don't compare. Don't worry that little Lucy can already talk while your kid is eating sand; of my two kids one walked earlier than the other, the other talked before their sibling. Also us parents generally only tell others the positives about our children while ignoring the bad, so yeah Lucy might be talking but is also swearing or stealing candy from other babies or whatever.

The rest, ag, you'll figure it out. We all do.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Now I can finally tell the wife I have been doing research of my own for our little guy coming in June.
This is much better than searching the webs for tips since I have a few MyBB tabs open all day anyway.

Dankie!

rwenzori

Honorary Master
Two tips for future daddies.

1. Ensure she is convinced of the 'breast is best' thing and set up a bed and or chair in the spare room for her to feed in the middle of the night while you are fast asleep.

2. When first handed the baby to change nappy, make sure she is close by to 'show you how'. Then, on opening up the dirty stinky nappy, hurl all over the baby. Hopefully she will tell you to bugger off, and handle nappy changes herself in the future.

Lupus

Honorary Master

Not to mention a lot of the "new" stuff I've bought from them wasn't new.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Baby City also has a no questions asked policy when swapping unopened packs of nappies - the only condition is that it should be something they stock. Nappy manufacturers are very crafty with the sizes of packs - makes it tricky to determine if you are actually buying a bargain or not.
Always calculate the cost per nappie across different packs. Never the total price.

More often than not the smaller packs can be cheaper.

Craig

Honorary Master
Two tips for future daddies.

1. Ensure she is convinced of the 'breast is best' thing and set up a bed and or chair in the spare room for her to feed in the middle of the night while you are fast asleep.

2. When first handed the baby to change nappy, make sure she is close by to 'show you how'. Then, on opening up the dirty stinky nappy, hurl all over the baby. Hopefully she will tell you to bugger off, and handle nappy changes herself in the future.
:ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh:, f me, why didn't I think of this back when.

Ecko_1

My son is now nearly 3. Some learnings to share:

- Do your best to not let them sleep in your bed. It will be a mission to get them out when older.

- When you see diapers on special stock pile them. Same goes for wipes. You can never have too many of these, and you can always change them if you have the wrong size.

- Gents do your bit when it comes to baby duties.

Craig

Honorary Master
Because you weren't a pussy?
I'm sure he didn't mean that seriously. :) Generally I've always been a light sleeper so night duty came my way 90% of the time unfortunately. Now you can see it in the relationship I have with my kids, so night time duty isn't just bad.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm sure he didn't mean that seriously. :) Generally I've always been a light sleeper so night duty came my way 90% of the time unfortunately. Now you can see it in the relationship I have with my kids, so night time duty isn't just bad.
I'm pretty sure he didn't.

But doesn't change my statement in any way.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
- Do your best to not let them sleep in your bed. It will be a mission to get them out when older.
Ag this I really don't mind, as long as they go to bed in their own and appear in ours during the night it's not really an issue.

Never let them fall asleep in your bed would be my rule.

The_MAC

Expert Member
Ag this I really don't mind, as long as they go to bed in their own and appear in ours during the night it's not really an issue.

Never let them fall asleep in your bed would be my rule.
My issue is that our bed only has place for me and my wife, the kids can come in the morning, but during the night is very uncomfortable for everyone - it disrupts our sleep.

Lupus

Honorary Master
My son is now nearly 3. Some learnings to share:

- When you see diapers on special stock pile them. Same goes for wipes. You can never have too many of these, and you can always change them if you have the wrong size.

- Gents do your bit when it comes to baby duties.
We still had baby powder and wet wipes till my son was 5 we stocked up so much.
We now keep wet wipes at home cause they came in handy to wipe up things.
Think number 2 will be the same, 8 years gap though hopefully can do it again :)

powermzii

Expert Member
Now I can finally tell the wife I have been doing research of my own for our little guy coming in June.
This is much better than searching the webs for tips since I have a few MyBB tabs open all day anyway.

Dankie!
You also expecting in June - congrats, first or another? I also have been knocked for not doing research or reading up... will borrow your tip :)

WAslayer

Expert Member
Go to an antenatal class, if it's to learn only two things:

- Baby CPR
- Baby Heimlich maneuver

Yeah, there are probably tens of thousands of YouTube videos, but none of them are going to tell you if you are doing it wrong or not..

nivek

Executive Member

Try babies/toys r us. They don't take things back or even exchange them unless you have a receipt, even when they know for a fact it was bought from them.

Milano

Honorary Master
This isn't limited to nappies - you can take back anything they stock. We took back most of what we got from the baby shower and swapped it for stuff we wanted.
Must vary between stores. The Baby City we used to shop at is against exchanges, vouchers and refunds even with a receipt after something like 7 or 10 days.