New SIM setup problem [VirginMobile, Android, RICA?]

Catal

I just bought a new Virgin Mobile SIM at Checkers for the usual 99c, but I am having trouble activating the SIM card on my Android 2.2 Samsung Vibrant.

The SIM activation instructions state just the following:

PUSH ME OUT. PUT ME IN. TURN ME ON.
And to activate me, dial *124*1*mobile number#
then press the dial button, and make the call!
Currently my phone won't really register to the Cell C network, like it is supposed to for a Virgin Mobile SIM. It can see all the networks (Cell C, MTN-SA, VodaCom-SA, 65502), but when I select any network it states: "Your SIM card does not allow a connection to this network."

I am unable to dial any number, including 123 for setup support. The phone states that it is "Not registered on a network".

I have attempted various GSM/CDMA modes (including GSM only). I have attempted turning off and on the radio's, roaming, etc. I have also turned on and off the phone, several times.

My phone has everything unlocked. I usually use my Vodacom SIM, and I have not had any issues using the Vodacom SIM on this phone.

I suspect that I first need to go and RICA the new Virgin Mobile SIM, before I can proceed to attempt activation. Is this the case, can anyone confirm that this is definitely required?

If this is not required, how then can I register the Virgin Mobile SIM card without having to first go through the hassle of RICA?

TowerGuru

Expert Member
I just bought a new Virgin Mobile SIM at Checkers for the usual 99c, but I am having trouble activating the SIM card on my Android 2.2 Samsung Vibrant.

The SIM activation instructions state just the following:

Currently my phone won't really register to the Cell C network, like it is supposed to for a Virgin Mobile SIM. It can see all the networks (Cell C, MTN-SA, VodaCom-SA, 65502), but when I select any network it states: "Your SIM card does not allow a connection to this network."

I am unable to dial any number, including 123 for setup support. The phone states that it is "Not registered on a network".

I have attempted various GSM/CDMA modes (including GSM only). I have attempted turning off and on the radio's, roaming, etc. I have also turned on and off the phone, several times.

My phone has everything unlocked. I usually use my Vodacom SIM, and I have not had any issues using the Vodacom SIM on this phone.

I suspect that I first need to go and RICA the new Virgin Mobile SIM, before I can proceed to attempt activation. Is this the case, can anyone confirm that this is definitely required?

If this is not required, how then can I register the Virgin Mobile SIM card without having to first go through the hassle of RICA?
The sim card wont work until you RICA it. no way around it.