Nokia E7 VS Nokia N8???

Ondier

Good afternoon all

Been reading some posts and you guys seem to be the most clued up ;)

I don't want to read through all the posts- tried some but can not find my answer.

My upgrade is end of October, and I want to go for the E7 or the N8. I know E7 is coming much later, maybe only next year, but might be worth it to wait for it.

So...........

What would LancelotSA do?

Thanks in advance

Erich

Aharon

Honorary Master
Just had a look on GSM Arena and the E7 looks pretty darn good. Camera is 4MP less than the N8 though. Also consider cost - it *may* be considerably more.

elroc

The E7 has CBD (Clear Black Display) which the N8 doesn't have, and has a slightly larger screen, and is heavier (in short, its a BIG phone), which could be a plus or minus depending on how you feel.

Also, the E7 doesn't have an SD card slot, so you're 'stuck' with just 16 GB of storage on-device, where the N8 you can add 32 Gigs. (+N8)

I'm upgrading to an N8 the day Vodacom has them available. I've never liked moving/sliding/flipping/rotating/extending parts on my phones.

nickza

The E7 has CBD (Clear Black Display) which the N8 doesn't have, and has a slightly larger screen, and is heavier (in short, its a BIG phone), which could be a plus or minus depending on how you feel.

Also, the E7 doesn't have an SD card slot, so you're 'stuck' with just 16 GB of storage on-device, where the N8 you can add 32 Gigs. (+N8)

You are not stuck with anything thanks to the usb adapter which allows your connect any usb stick on the fly.

Maddmatt

Expert Member
If you really want a smartphone with a keyboard, look at the HTC Desire Z. Better specs in just about every aspect and a much better user interface.

Nokia's smartphones just don't compare to the competition.

Ondier

Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback. So I went for the N8......... and problems arrived after about 5 weeks of use.

Keeps on freezing and switches off while busy with calls. :mad:

And I did not use it to surf, facebook or any other online crap where I could pick up a virus of any kind- very nice update feature- that is about all I did.

So the solution- switch your network from Dual network to GSM- and it will be fine after a "hard reset or restart" - just keep the off button in for about 8 seconds. Not sure how that affects the 3G etc, but at least the phone is dialling again without interuptions :sick:

Glue

Expert Member
Spoke to a friend off mine working at a Vodacom shop.
Stay away from Nokia N8,100% comeback to the shop.
Nokia C6/C7 about 80% comeback.
I wont buy a Nokia in the near future!!

Rands

Expert Member
its a pity to hear that u having problems with your n8. i was really looking foreward to getting a n8 in feb on upgrade, but now im not so sure. the number of people reporting problems is becoming concerning. the thing is that there is no other phone that i really want, or that suites my needs like the n8! good battery good camera. metal body. dont need expensive data bundles.
i know that the first batch of n8's were problematic. hopefully the new batch will be stable.
also read that apps not from the ovi store could cause freezes.

Last edited:

Ondier

It really is a great phone. My sister got her's about 2 weeks after mine- and her's is still going 100%. And she actually uses it to read Beeld and sky news etc. I might switch back to Dual network and try it again- when I know I will not need the phone to urgently....
Another thing that might have caused the freezes- it kept trying to connect (or did it automatically anyway) to my router. Even if I set it to Manual. Well I am sure the first batch was not ready for our networks, but I believe it will become better.

nickza

I think I read that the N8 is getting a major firmware upgrade this month... I dont have one (holding out for E7), but to the people who do have an N8, please report back with any news after the firmware update.

I have an n97, and the initial firmware on that was super ****. slowly got better with updates.