Notebook with no os or perhaps with freedos

reneg8or

It is 2013.

Vista sent many computer users to Linux.

Windows 8 will also be doing that.

Percentage-wise, Linux will most likely remain a minority in terms of desktop OS. However, two per cent of 2 billion is a number large enough for PC vendors to sit up and take notice.

Yesterday, I asked a young salesman if his shop can provide a price list to customers so that we can configure and order the way we want these. One can do that online at www.comx.co.za but I thought of supporting a local business and deal with a real person instead of doing it online. He failed to see the opportunity and presented me with one obstacle after the other. He also displayed his ignorance by stating that there was no market for Linux. When I told him about the global migration, he told me about the past and not the future.

He escaped his future yesterday by missing out an opportunity to learn from a client who has been around the block a few times more than he did. I thought I was doing him a favour by showing him a new path where he will come across a new revenue stream. He failed to recognize the opportunity.

It is a pity that so many sales executives, consultants and junior salespeople don't educate themselves and then expect informed customers to follow their inadequate advice. I have found them to remain in deficit.

It will be wonderful if someone other than me see the opportunity to open a store in a city with 3.8 million residents and provide notebooks sans an OS. Or selling it with FreeDOS. Moreover, if it can be offered with Linux-compatible hardware drivers. Manufacturers such as Mustek (Mecer), LG and Gigabyte, at least, should be able to do so. Perhaps also Chicony and Mitac. Some of these names are behind the well-respected brand names we see in our computer stores. Dell could be another possibility.

ponder

Honorary Master
This is probably not the fault of the local business. Vendors have arrangements with MS to bundle Windose.

You might as well just buy a laptop with windows as there won't be much of a saving if any on a OS-less one. Should you decide to sell in future it helps to have the original windows on the laptop as well.

F

Fudzy

Yesterday, I asked a young salesman if his shop can provide a price list to customers so that we can configure and order the way we want these. One can do that online at www.comx.co.za but I thought of supporting a local business and deal with a real person instead of doing it online. He failed to see the opportunity and presented me with one obstacle after the other. He also displayed his ignorance by stating that there was no market for Linux. When I told him about the global migration, he told me about the past and not the future.

Which notebooks on that comx site support the installation of Linux rather than Windows? I've just tried 3 and the only option is Windows.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Which notebooks on that comx site support the installation of Linux rather than Windows? I've just tried 3 and the only option is Windows.

They leave it blank because the onus is on you to choose a distro. I don't think any retailer now wants to deal with the hassle of Linux support, especially if their salespeople aren't trained to work with it. How many times has anyone here gone to Incredible Connection or Makro and asked someone questions about Apple Macbooks and OS X in general? How many of you actually got a satisfactory answer?

OP, Matrix Warehouse used to use Linux as a free alternative about two years ago, but they stopped when they began to bundle Windows 7 Starter with most of their machines. To my knowledge AKill is the only laptop brand available locally that gives you the option to pre-load them with Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Back in the day Sahara had such and it was like R600 cheaper than the onens with Windows. Came with a Linux OS.

F

Fudzy

They leave it blank because the onus is on you to choose a distro. I don't think any retailer now wants to deal with the hassle of Linux support, especially if their salespeople aren't trained to work with it. How many times has anyone here gone to Incredible Connection or Makro and asked someone questions about Apple Macbooks and OS X in general? How many of you actually got a satisfactory answer?

OP, Matrix Warehouse used to use Linux as a free alternative about two years ago, but they stopped when they began to bundle Windows 7 Starter with most of their machines. To my knowledge AKill is the only laptop brand available locally that gives you the option to pre-load them with Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

Agreed, it would probably cost them more money supporting Linux than MS products.

Yotch

Expert Member
I think that many customers would decline Windows for a R600 discount off the normal selling price!

reneg8or

Yarrr! Or start learning to use Linux

On Mecer laptops, the saving is substantial. Why pay for software you're never going to use? One can build a Mecer with very decent spec at R6,500 and use Linux Mint, which comes with all you need in the ISO already.

I don't use Windows but people who pirate software are as bad as corrupt politicians......

reneg8or

Linux users don't need dealer support, we can accept a challenge or two :D (big smile)

Yotch

Expert Member
Then what? Pirate Window? :D

You said it not me! My feeling is that most of the MyBB community would choose to avoid paying the Windows surcharge and then do a DIY install of something 'grey' even it meant spending a month of frustration looking for suitable drivers.:D If Microsoft Office was available for Linux/Android then I think there would be a much greater adoption of Linux/Android from the business community.

reneg8or

OpenOffice was quirky but the LibreOffice fork works quite well as it is more refined. There are good PIM organisers so no need to pirate anything, ever.

LibreOffice is not well-known even though it is cross-platform. 90% of MSO users should be content with it.

TJ99

Honorary Master
I think that many customers would decline Windows for a R600 discount off the normal selling price!

I would. Windows 8 Pro standalone only costs R500. Start8 costs $5 on Stardock's website which is around R50 so you're still up R50. Bargain. If you bought a Windows 8 license for the extra-low R139 it makes even more sense.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Then what? Pirate Window? :D

Or reload Windows XP. When I was working in retail the amount of business users who asked for a downgrade to XP was astounding. Luckily Windows 7's XP Mode saves their bacon and gives them a legal copy to use for legacy software, but too many people still want XP.

If Microsoft Office was available for Linux/Android then I think there would be a much greater adoption of Linux/Android from the business community.

I think it wouldn't be as many as you'd expect. Libre/Open Office have enough versatility for most use-cases and if Microsoft were able to shove Office onto Linux natively, they'd ask far more than what it's really worth.

oldhat

Expert Member
OpenOffice was quirky but the LibreOffice fork works quite well as it is more refined. There are good PIM organisers so no need to pirate anything, ever.

LibreOffice is not well-known even though it is cross-platform. 90% of MSO users should be content with it.

I think it wouldn't be as many as you'd expect. Libre/Open Office have enough versatility for most use-cases and if Microsoft were able to shove Office onto Linux natively, they'd ask far more than what it's really worth.

For those who are used to MS Office, Kingsoft's WPS Office would seem a more natural migration & is now in beta for Linux. More info here: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/03/wps-office-for-linux-looks-like-microsoft-office-but-isnt

F

Fudzy

Thanks for the link though, gonna fire up the VM and check it out.