Number of developers for PHP vs Python

RichardK

I'm well aware of the differences, benefits and disadvantages of using PHP vs Python. What I'm interested in finding out is the number of skilled South African developers for each language, and whether there are a significantly higher number of developers skilled in one vs the other language.

My hypothesis is that there are more developers skilled in PHP than in Python. My preference would be towards Python, but for some upcoming projects my concern is that I will be able to find skilled PHP developers more easily than skilled Python developers.

So my question is: In which language do you consider yourself skilled? To be skilled in a language you should really have at least 2 years, but ideally 3 or more years of professional experience developing in that language.

1. PHP
  2. Python
  3. Both PHP and Python

If you have any additional information such as actual studies or statistics released on developer:ratio in South Africa, please feel free to share.

froot

Honorary Master
Going on 5 years in Php now but hoping to get out of it shortly. It's not a lot of fun :p

Faultyboy

PHP Going on 7 years now on and off, never worked in it full time. Always been mostly for my own side projects. I think I made my choice back in the day based on what resources where available online. Not to sure about Python but there is loads of stuff these days online for PHP.

CrazYmonkeY159

Expert Member
I have about equivalent experience in both, like 1 year lol. But I prefer python much more so.

debonair

PHP for about 5 years, many libraries frameworks tutorials very flexible. python about 2 years on and off, mainly for commandline scripting i found that its better suited for this than php.

RichardK

Interesting responses, thanks, keep going! Certainly looks like PHP is the more popular language so far. Personally I've found that the people who eventually move onto Python tend to enjoy the language more than they did PHP.

walter_l

I have about 4 years of experience with Python in various business sectors. I've used PHP here-and-there for a couple of projects, but I would much rather use Python.

I also subscribe to your hypothesis (that there are more PHP than Python developers in the SA market) and would be quite surprised if the difference is anything less than an order of magnitude. However, I believe Python's adoption is increasing.

icyrus

Executive Member
There are far more PHP jobs and hence developers sadly.

Unfortunately we are quite a few years behind in this sector.

mcryan

Expert Member
About six years between PHP and Java development. Would love to get into some Python development as well. You'll find PHP developers much easier than Python devs...

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
To answer your question: There are more skilled Python developers than skilled PHP developers.

The reason why there are more PHP vacancies is not becuase its a more popular language, its because there is a massive shortage of skilled guys. I know more Python guys that can code than PHP guys. Everybody thinks they are PHP developers but as soon as you require any functionality to be done, these guys start falling apart.

I'm a PHP developer with 6years experience and am shocked at how incompentent your average PHP developer is and they should not be allowed to call themselves developers.

boswald

about 12 years php. 5 years .net and 3 years solid javascript client development

boswald

I'm a PHP developer with 6years experience and am shocked at how incompentent your average PHP developer is and they should not be allowed to call themselves developers.

AMEN BROTHER!!

I really hope they decide to one day regulate the IT industry the same was as Engineers and Doctors. You actually have to be qualified to do something. It will hurt some really good guys out there but will get rid of loads of useless pathetic developers that give actual software engineers a bad name.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
5 years .NET, 2 years JavaScript, 3 years Python

Did some PHP... meh

jan12345

Yes, by no means am i a proffesional php developer. I started learning php about 5 years ago, and to be very honest, even for an unqualified developer, i am astouned to see some of the work done by some developers, plenty of which are qualified programers.

Dispite the fact that i am not qualified, i see myself as a php developer. You will find more php developers for sure.

bjsteyn

About 6 months permanent PHP and Javascript programming, but on and off php / wordpress / phpbb programming for 2 years. About 5 years experience in programming vba and a bit of vb6 / vb.net.

Have not programmed in python yet, but php is pretty easy, although javascript syntax errors, is so time consuming if you are not focussed when coding.