Off site backup for home computers

basil katakuzinos

I would like to backup the 3 computers at my house to an offsite location (perhaps another family members house).
What i need:

Software:
I need software on each of the computers that will automatically backup the computers (perhaps weekly) to the offsite location,

Hardware:
I would also need a nas or some other device at the remote location to store all these files.

If anyone knows of a relatively simple solution to my problem will you please reply to this thread.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
How much data are we talking and are you open to a monthly subscription?

sgs

Crashplan was awesome for this until they discontinued their consumer product. Now will cost you $10 a month per pc - which in my view is a bit steep if you're providing your own offsite storage.

Im also looking for a solution now that Crashplan is dead. Currently considering using Veeam to a local drive, and then rsyncing the backups to a remote location via VPN.

If anyone has a more elegant solution though, please do share!

Speedster

Executive Member
If you have MS office you have 1tb per user available on OneDrive

Swa

Honorary Master
Always ask yourself what it is you want to accomplish. Most people that go for off site backup don't really need it. Hard drives are very resilient against damage. Then ask what are you actually backing up. Software and os can be configured again so simply making a copy on a drive once a year that you chuck under your bed is enough. Stuff you can download again doesn't need backup. Tasks that can be automated like 10 different sizes of photos doesn't need backup, rather backup the originals only. Only for irreplaceable stuff would off site backup really be needed.

If you want to go with Zoolz I can get it between $29.99 and $75 for 1-3TB. Perhaps even cheaper.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Always ask yourself what it is you want to accomplish. Most people that go for off site backup don't really need it. Hard drives are very resilient against damage.
Offsite backup is not to mitigate HDD damage but theft or fire mainly.

There’s also an open source p2p option:
http://retroshare.net/

Backup locally to external drive and share that.

Swa

Honorary Master
Offsite backup is not to mitigate HDD damage but theft or fire mainly.

There’s also an open source p2p option:
http://retroshare.net/

Backup locally to external drive and share that.
Hard drives are rather resilient against water and fire. Theft can be solved with a hole in the ground. :p

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I happily pay the 20usd per month for CrashPlan on mine and my wife's computers. It backs up deltas every 15 minutes and keeps versions. So can easily roll back if a doc is corrupted by mistake,deleted or whatever.
Hard drives are not resilient. My raid 1 array in my pc is on about its 6th drive in 10 years. That's 6 total losses if it had been non raid. Theft is a thing, as is ransomware/virus damage.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I happily pay the 20usd per month for CrashPlan on mine and my wife's computers. It backs up deltas every 15 minutes and keeps versions. So can easily roll back if a doc is corrupted by mistake,deleted or whatever.
Hard drives are not resilient. My raid 1 array in my pc is on about its 6th drive in 10 years. That's 6 total losses if it had been non raid. Theft is a thing, as is ransomware/virus damage.
Yes, crash plan does the heavy lifting for deciding what to back up as well. If you’re going to roll your own, just make sure you store stuff in the regular places.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
OneDrive.

R90 to 110 pm (Cheaper to buy an annual key at Matrix or such) for 1TB storage, and you even get Office & 60 Min per month of Skype to phone calls.