Official 2011 Rugby World Cup Thread

Taking into account injuries, my backline for the Namibia clash:

9 - Hougaard
10 - Pienaar
11 - Ndungane
12 - De Jongh
13 - Fourie
14 - Pietersen
15 - Aplon

3 on bench (Steyn/Steyn, Du Preez, Lambie/James)

I would give Fourie du Preez some more game time. We all know what kind of form Hougaard is in atm, but fourie needs to regain his top form else we might beforced to give Ruan Pienaar game time if hougaard / du Preez is injured :(
 
In all seriousness this would be a problem if it was not Namibia we were playing. If we beat Namibia with a bonus point etcetc (I am sure we will), then we can relax a bit for the game against Tonga and filed a B-Team as we will still go through to the semis no matter what.
Tonga?

I tell you what, there still quite possible scenarios for our pool. Anyone of Wales, SA or Samoa could theoretically win or come 2nd..
 
Last edited:
Tonga?

I tell you what, there still quite possible scenarios for our pool. Anyone of Wales, SA or Samoa could theoretically win or come 2nd..

Lol :D

Was looking at my SuperBru picks at the same time. :o

Ok SA = 9, Wales = 6, Samoa = 5.

I get what you are saying with technically we can still not go through to the semis, but I can just not see even a Bteam losing to Somoa :o

And yes I see you saying:" I am sure the Aussies also didn't think their B-team would lose to Samoa". :p
 
Last edited:
While he may have a point about their tight schedule, surely they had ample time over the last year or so to object?

Auckland - Samoa centre Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu has described Rugby World Cup organisers' treatment of Samoa as "like slavery, like the holocaust, like apartheid" in a foul-mouthed rant on Twitter.

Fuimaono-Sapolu was livid after the 17-10 loss to Wales in Hamilton on Sunday that Samoa had to play the critical match to make the quarterfinals only four days after meeting Namibia, while Wales had a full week off after losing to South Africa.

He dared the IRB to suspend him.

Among his tweets:

"Ok, it's obvious the IRB are unjust. Wales get 7 days, we get 3. Unfair treatment, like slavery, like the holocaust, like apartheid."

"IRB, Stop exploiting my people. Please, all we ask, is fairness. If they get a week, give us a week. Simple."

"I wonder how would these tier 1 teams function after only three days rest."

"Give Wales 3 days off, and give Samoa a week!! We would kill them!!!"

"Hey IRB. Suspend me but give Wales the same days off as Samoa."

The World Cup scheduling was favored toward TV ratings winners, the big tier one teams who deliver to the IRB broadcasting rights money which, in turn, pays for development of the game in the tier two nations such as Samoa.

Samoa and Wales were in the toughest group in the tournament, alongside South Africa, Fiji and Namibia. Samoa has to play its four pool games within 16 days. South Africa has 19 days and Wales 21.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2011/Samoa-centre-rants-at-IRB-20110919
 
Lol :D

Was looking at my SuperBru picks at the same time. :o

Ok SA = 9, Wales = 6, Samoa = 5.

I get what you are saying with technically we can still not go through to the semis, but I can just not see even a Bteam losing to Somoa :o

And yes I see you saying:" I am sure the Aussies also didn't think their B-team would lose to Samoa". :p

Perhaps, but I wouldn't dare risk an understrength side against Samoans. They can beat any team and cause a major upset. I'd play a 'B-side' against the Namibians, but nobody else :)
 
Lol :D

Was looking at my SuperBru picks at the same time. :o

Ok SA = 9, Wales = 6, Samoa = 5.

I get what you are saying with technically we can still not go through to the semis, but I can just not see even a Bteam losing to Somoa :o
Wales could theoretically get 10 points from their last 2 fixtures. Almost guaranteed 5 against Namibia and will have to work harder but could get 5 against Fiji too leaving them on 16.

Samoa would expect to beat Fiji for 4 points and at a stretch could get the 4 tries required for 5 points leaving them on 10 points with SA to come.

SA will get 5 from Namibia leaving them on 14 points with Samoa to come!!!

Samoa SA could very well determine who wins the pool and who qualifies 2nd. Samoa play Fiji on the 2nd of October though, the last game in pool D

Not called the pool of death for nothing... Makes things a lot tighter when you got teams picking up bonus points in both victory and defeat...
 
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2011/Fittest-team-will-win-the-RWC-20110919
Cape Town - In the wake of the Springboks scintillating performance against Fiji, Bok utility back, Francois Steyn has blasted critics for calling the team "too old".

“How can we be too old? We played a big game tonight and Danie Rossouw as Man of the Match and he is 33. It is not about age, it is about how fit you are. The fittest team will win the World Cup,” he told Monday’s Cape Times.

He proved to be a handful for the islanders and set up numerous opportunities for the backline to flourish and show their critics that they can indeed run the ball and ‘play rugby’.

Jip, the old men showed that they can still do the job.

“And he can tackle! For his small body, he makes some cracking tackles. He flipping kills some of the big okes. No, listen, I love Patrick Lambie.”

Lol, sounds like Frans wants to bunk with Pat :D
 
I'm one of Danie's biggest critics!!! Boy did I eat humple pie on Saturday. Possibly his best performance ever in the green and gold. One thing I have always maintained though, he is a lock, a lock and then a lock and if you going to play him out of position, play him at lock :p

His general performance was so good nobody noticed his 4 or 5 missed tackles..



Lol, sounds like Frans wants to bunk with Pat :D
haha eeewwwwwww.....
 
I'm one of Danie's biggest critics!!! Boy did I eat humple pie on Saturday. Possibly his best performance ever in the green and gold. One thing I have always maintained though, he is a lock, a lock and then a lock and if you going to play him out of position, play him at lock :p
Agree 100%
 
A few things which are incredibly exciting to see is our defense which has come on significantly with the help of Jacques Nienaber and the extra dimension Frans Steyn brings to our goal kicking!!

Also our understanding of laws governing rucks and mauls and other more technical aspects of the game seems to have been addressed. Even against Wales where we were under immense pressure for extended phases of play yet we not only managed to defend our line but also didn't concede penalties to the extent we would normally. I attribute this to Rassies input. He is one of the most technically astute rugby brains in the game.

The all dictatorial Nik Mallet once claimed (in his book Nik and I) that he never asked any players he's coached for tactical input or opinions other than 2..... Henry Honiball and Rassie Erasmus....

Did anyone notice Rassie at the Bok send off!!! The man was constantly on the verge of crying so overcome with passion and pride was he!! I can really see him in the role of Springbok coach in the near future...
 
A few things which are incredibly exciting to see is our defense which has come on significantly with the help of Jacques Nienaber and the extra dimension Frans Steyn brings to our goal kicking!!

Also our understanding of laws governing rucks and mauls and other more technical aspects of the game seems to have been addressed. Even against Wales where we were under immense pressure for extended phases of play yet we not only managed to defend our line but also didn't concede penalties to the extent we would normally. I attribute this to Rassies input. He is one of the most technically astute rugby brains in the game.

The all dictatorial Nik Mallet once claimed (in his book Nik and I) that he never asked any players he's coached for tactical input or opinions other than 2..... Henry Honiball and Rassie Erasmus....

Did anyone notice Rassie at the Bok send off!!! The man was constantly on the verge of crying so overcome with passion and pride was he!! I can really see him in the role of Springbok coach in the near future...

I would LOVE to see Rassie and H. Meyer combine for the next four years and build a team for 2015.
 
I would LOVE to see Rassie and H. Meyer combine for the next four years and build a team for 2015.
I must be brutally honest with you, I've always thought Heyneke to be very over rated as a coach!! He coached a very successful Bulls team, true, but one packed with the countries best players literally from 1-15!! I haven't really followed his carrier since leaving the Bulls but interested in how he's gone since.

I'm also not sure how they get on now but I would love to see Rassie and Naka coaching the Boks together. Naka's a man who season in, season out takes his riches depleted FS Cheetahs union and makes them ultra competitive... Respect..
 
I must be brutally honest with you, I've always thought Heyneke to be very over rated as a coach!! He coached a very successful Bulls team, true, but one packed with the countries best players literally from 1-15!! I haven't really followed his carrier since leaving the Bulls but interested in how he's gone since.

I'm also not sure how they get on now but I would love to see Rassie and Naka coaching the Boks together. Naka's a man who season in, season out takes his riches depleted FS Cheetahs union and makes them ultra competitive... Respect..

Meyer is still with the bulls as operations something or another, and Meyer built the Bulls team to where it was... when he started he said he will make the bulls a champion team but it will take time. I can remember thinking who is this clow in the first two years but he brought in Fourie, Matfield, Bakkies and a couple of others and made the bulls a force in SA as well as putting the right junior structures in place.

I also have a problem or two with him and that is where I would love to see Rassie with him.

You are right about Naka imo as he does wonders with what he has every year... I don't know if Naka and Rassie sit around the same fire but that would also not be a bad "team".
 
TEAM FOR NAMIBIA

15 Pat Lambie
14 Gio Aplon
13 Jaque Fourie
12 Frans Steyn
11 Bryan Habana
10 Morné Steyn
9 Francois Hougaard
8 Pierre Spies
7 Schalk Burger
6 Willem Alberts
5 Danie Rossouw
4 Bakkies Botha
3 CJ van der Linde
2 John Smit (captain)
1 Gurthrö Steenkamp
Replacements
16 Chiliboy Ralepelle
17 Tendai Mtawarira
18 Francois Louw
19 Heinrich Brüssow
20 Fourie du Preez
21 Ruan Pienaar
22 Juan de Jongh
 
I'm going for at least a 58 point victory on my Bru pick.

No real fetcher in the starting 15. Not that we will need it but could have been nice to give Flo Louw a run with Brussow on the bench.

Only reason Habana is back in the team is for the record for most Bok tries.

Great to see Hougaard at scrumhalf and Aplon on the wing.

I expect our game plan to go along these lines. Soften up the Namibians with guys like Alberts, Burger, Rossouw and Bakkies carrying it up and then spread it wide to speedsters like Aplon, Habana and even Lambie joining the line.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X