Official 2011 Rugby World Cup Thread

I still reckon a 50 point game is on the cards. Why? Fiji has little to no chance of beating Wales judging by the last 3 games they've played. Samoa will know they'll need to score at least a 4 try win over us to have a chance at qualifying. I reckon in the final 20 mins they'll scramble and leave gaps plus with the strength of our bench and our fitness I don't see them holding up.

Just my opinion! I'll happily eat humble pie on Saturday.
 
Sorry to be spamming the thread so early in the morning! Thought this would be interesting:

From the New Zealand Herald website (www.nzherald.co.nz)

?


27 September, 2011 ** ?* ?

763,000 fans have attended the 28 matches played up to and including the 25th of September, and they have seen 168 tries scored.

If it's tries you want to see then Pool A is the place to go, with 52 tries having been scored. New Zealand have scored the most tries (24) overall, followed by South Africa (20) in Pool D. These two teams are also the best attacking sides having scored 161 and 153 points respectively.

Pool B has seen the least number of tries with only 32 scored, and Georgia has only managed a single try after two games.

If you split the teams into Northern v Southern Hemisphere, the Southern teams have scored 92 tries while the Northern teams have scored 76. A big difference when you realise only eight of the 20 teams are situated south of the equator.

There have been six games now where the winning score has topped 50 points, with three of those games occurring in Pool C. South Africa became the first team to hold their opposition to nil when they beat Namibia 87-0, which is the biggest winning margin of RWC 2011 to date.

South Africa have the best defensive record having conceded just 19 points in three games. Next best defensively is England who have only conceded 22 points.

Morne Steyn (South Africa) is the top points scorer with 48 points made up of two tries, 13 conversions and 4 conversions. Tonga's Kurt Morath is next best with 31 points from five conversions and seven penalties.

England's Chris Ashton is the top try scorer with five, including a hattrick against Romania. Close on his heels are Adam Ashley-Cooper (Australia), Veriniki Goneva (Fiji), Israel Dagg and Richard Kahui (New Zealand) and Vincent Clerc (France) all with four tries.

Five players have scored hattricks of tries, they are Ashton, Ashley-Cooper, Clerc, Mark Cueto (England) and Alesana Tuilagi (Samoa).

Romania have conceded the most penalties (39) followed by England (38), Japan (38) and New Zealand (36). Italy has conceded the least penalties (17), but they have only played two games so far. Of the teams that have played three games, South Africa (25) and France (26) have conceded the fewest penalties.

When it comes to the referees, Alain Rolland (Ireland) has awarded the most penalties (71) at a rate of 23.66 per game. Steve Walsh (Australia) has the highest awarding rate at 25.5 penalties per game while Wayne Barnes (England) has the lowest rate, awarding penalties at 17.66 per game.

If you think that goal kicking has been a problem this competition, then you are correct. Only 57 percent of the 168 penalty attempts have made it between the uprights, with conversion attempts just slightly better with 68 percent going over.

Of the 23 attempted drop goals so far, just nine have been successful. Nambia's Theuns Kotze is the most successful having landed three from three attempts, while Wales' Rhys Priestland has failed with all three of his attempts.

The top goal kicker of the competition to date is France's Morgan Parra with a 90 per cent success rate with his place kicks. South Africa's Morne Steyn is the second best with a success rate of 85 per cent, followed by Dan Carter and Romania's Iomote Dimofte who are both on 67 percent.

The worst goal kicker of the competition so far (of those who have had more than two attempts at goal) is Russia's Yury Kushnarev at just 25 percent. But he is just one of 14 players kicking at 50 percent or below, and that list includes the likes of Felipe Contemponi, Quade Cooper and Jonny Wilkinson.

And from the Did You Know files: Tonga's Taniela Moa became the first player ever to start Rugby World Cup matches at both halfback (v New Zealand) and first-five (v Canada). France's Morgan Parra become the second player to do this, starting at halfback against Canada and first-five against New Zealand.
 
That's just because some BULLS fans refuse to buy a jersey. :whistle:

Haha, I am a proud Bulls supporter but I am not buying on for R1000.00 thank you. The same with the Bok jersey. I will however buy a fake for R150 :D

Why didn't he play against Ireland? They really missed him. He was definitely the difference between a strong Aus side and a bunch of headless chickens.

Found it - http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/5687662/Australias-David-Pocock-fit-to-face-Russia

Seems like he will be back to play against us :(

Jip. Like I said, without quick ball the Aussies are not great. Come scrum time we should also be getting the upper hand. They have never been great from the sets. If Pocock is not playing the boks imo have a 70/30 chance to beat the Aussies, IF he does play it is 50/50.

Correct. Argentina should get the bonus point correct but I don't see Scotland knocking over England. Far from it really. Englands campaign is gathering momentum while Scotlands never got off the ground.

mmmm... I disagree!! A place in the QF's is all the motivation the Samoans need. Add to that the massive support base they enjoy in NZ and the fact that NZ is home away from home for most of them and we going to have our hands full!! I reckon we good for 18-23 point margin but I would be very surprised with anything over 30 or under 15...

My SB pick is a margin of 29. I think I might be a tad short (I would go with 34 if I could pick again :o).

Argh! :( This Jap vs Can game is gonna ruin my SuperBru!

That draw saved my SuperBru as I forgot to make a pick. Luckely they drew thus 99% of people on SuperBru got 0 or 0.5 points :D
 
Hehe, I've been riding my luck the last few games. Scored bonus and margin points on Ireland, Argentina and Italy games. :-)

I haven't picked SA/Samoa yet, but also reckon in the 30 range.
 
Last edited:
Hehe, I've been riding my luck the last few games. Scored bonus and margin points on Ireland, Argentina and Italy games. :-)

I haven't picked SA/Samoa yet, but also reckon in the 30 range.

My first time doing the superbru thing and enjoying it. Had a terrible start in the first round, but made a comeback and currently number 1,567 globally. But that can change overnight I've come to realise.

I picked SA by 25 over Samoa.
 
My first time doing the superbru thing and enjoying it. Had a terrible start in the first round, but made a comeback and currently number 1,567 globally. But that can change overnight I've come to realise.

I picked SA by 25 over Samoa.

That is very good :D Think my hoghest in the WC was 381 globally but as you said it could all change at the drop of a hat :(
 
ooooh me thinks some of us either under estimating the Samoans or over estimating the Boks... Could be interesting..
 
My first time doing the superbru thing and enjoying it. Had a terrible start in the first round, but made a comeback and currently number 1,567 globally. But that can change overnight I've come to realise.

I picked SA by 25 over Samoa.

That's very good! My first time too, it's a lot of fun, especially the ribbing between my mates. Makes me watch pretty much every game. :-)
 
Whoooooooo! that is one massively strong line up. :eek: Interestingly Jean is on the bench and PDV is keeping faith with Lambie at Fullback. I think that is a good decision. I hope Lambie performs well as this will mean that he can keep Steyn at 12

I was wondering if Div wouldn't keep Steyn at 12 and Lambie at 15. Steyn has been superb at 12 and think he could just make the position his own.
 
Italy secure bonus-point win over US

Italy secured a bonus point in a battling 27-10 victory over a resilient United States on Tuesday, setting up the Pool C match against Ireland in five days' time to determine one Rugby World Cup quarterfinal spot.

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/rugby-world-cup/news/110927/Italy_secure_bonuspoint_win_over_US

So the question is this, can Italy beat Ireland, force there way into the quarters and eliminate Ireland? :confused:

It would have to be with a bonus point. Stranger things have happened.
 
I might have asked this before somewhere but does a higher scoring game, lets say 87-0, give you more points then a lower scoring game and I am including bonus points here too?
 
I might have asked this before somewhere but does a higher scoring game, lets say 87-0, give you more points then a lower scoring game and I am including bonus points here too?
No. The winning team can only get 1 bonus point for 4 tries added to the 4 points for the win.
 
So why run themselves ragged for nothing?

Because you can't just stop playing and the goal of any sport is to try and beat the opposition by as big a margin as possible.

Bragging rights.... Brownie Points.

That's just sport for you!
 
The way some teams play we can call it quits before half time and still get home to watch ourselves in the highlights on TV.
 
They first look at the result of the head-to-head clash. Winner goes through.

Yes, but generally if there are 3 teams equal on points, head 2 head would be meaningless ( team A beats team B and lose to team C but team B beats team C)
 
@wayne... here the official rules (from the IRB site):

Rankings at the completion of the pool phase

At the completion of the pool phase, the teams in a pool are ranked one through five based on their cumulative match points, and identified respectively as winner, runner-up, third, fourth and fifth.

If at the completion of the pool phase two or more teams are level on match points, then the following criteria shall be used in the following order until one of the Teams can be determined as the higher ranked:
- The winner of the match in which the two tied teams have played each other shall be the higher ranked;
- The team which has the best difference between points scored for and points scored against in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
- The team which has the best difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
- The team which has scored most points in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
- The team which has scored most tries in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
- Should the tie be unresolved at the conclusion of steps 1 through 5, the team that is higher ranked in the updated Official IRB World Rankings on October 3, 2011.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X