Official 2011 Rugby World Cup Thread

Haha yeah dude. We not gathered around the braai debating and going bos so one has to rather use punctuation marks in abundance to try and convey the sentiment as accurately as possible.

Mind you that's not a bad idea. We should all get together for a game.

Well I am in :) But please not for CC as it might end in a fist fight :p

Oz have been piss poor so far and that's what worries me. Hope they don't choose the QF to fire.

I really think if Steyn stays on nr 12, and who ever plays fullback for us has a good game we will rock the Aussies by about 9 points.

Yes, yes I know that the Aussies has flair in all round BUT ask the French how many WCs they have won with all their flair... I still think come SA vs Aus there is only one person that could have SA in a bit of a tight spot and that is Pocock. He is the key man for the Aussies as without quick ball retention they look very flat footed and average.

Lucky for us we have brussouw. I would bench brussouw for the game against Samoa as I am very scared that he will become injured as he does not shy away from the physical battle.

Hell IF we beat the Aussies and I can not wait to se how we perform against the ABs... :D

I'm biased. I hate the arrogant sheep-shagging bastard son of a criminal prostitute!

Haha, I think you and the whole of Kiwi-land.
 
Last edited:
Wales 81 - Namibia 7

This puts our "big" win against Namibia into perspective. People seem to be jumping up and down about how well we are playing (The commentators on Reunion did the same thing) and yet the only tough game we have had we lost everywhere except on the scorecard. Aus just went one better and lost on the scorecard too. I am very worried about us at the moment. We have not put together a good 80 minutes in the last few months of rugby. You can't count Fiji because, IMHO, I don't rate them as a very good side. Somoa beat them in spite of all of their mistakes.
 
Yes, yes I know that the Aussies has flair in all round BUT ask the French how many WCs they have won with all their flair... I still think come SA vs Aus there is only one person that could have SA in a bit of a tight spot and that is Pocock. He is the key man for the Aussies as without quick ball retention they look very flat footed and average.

Why didn't he play against Ireland? They really missed him. He was definitely the difference between a strong Aus side and a bunch of headless chickens.

Found it - http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/5687662/Australias-David-Pocock-fit-to-face-Russia

Seems like he will be back to play against us :(
 
Last edited:
What are the permutations for England getting knocked out? If they lose to Scotland and Argentina win with a bonus, they will have 15 leaving Scotland tied with England on 14. Does it go head to head and then points difference?
 
And are teams getting bonus points for finishing within 7?
 
South Africa v Samoa, 30 September 2011, North Harbour Stadium, Auckland
15. Pat Lambie
14. JP Pietersen
13. Jaque Fourie
12. Frans Steyn
11. Bryan Habana
10. Morné Steyn
9. Fourie du Preez
8. Pierre Spies
7. Schalk Burger
6. Heinrich Brüssow
5. Victor Matfield (Capt)
4. Danie Rossouw
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Bismarck du Plessis
1. Tendai Mtawarira
Replacements
16. John Smit
17. Gurthrö Steenkamp
18. CJ van der Linde
19. Willem Alberts
20. Francois Louw
21. Francois Hougaard
22. Jean de Villiers
 
What are the permutations for England getting knocked out? If they lose to Scotland and Argentina win with a bonus, they will have 15 leaving Scotland tied with England on 14. Does it go head to head and then points difference?
If Scotland beat England without a bonus point and by a margin greater than 7 Scotland and England will be on 14pts. Argentina are likely to beat Georgia with a 4 trie bonus point which would put them 1st but let's say they win without the bonus point. England, Argentina and Scotland would all be on 14pts.

If at the completion of the pool phase two or more teams are level on match points, then the following criteria shall be used in the following order until one of the Teams can be determined as the higher ranked:

The winner of the match in which the two tied teams have played each other shall be the higher ranked;
The team which has the best difference between points scored for and points scored against in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
The team which has the best difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
The team which has scored most points in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
The team which has scored most tries in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
Should the tie be unresolved at the conclusion of steps 1 through 5, the team that is higher ranked in the updated Official IRB World Rankings on October 3, 2011.


And are teams getting bonus points for finishing within 7?
Yes

South Africa v Samoa, 30 September 2011, North Harbour Stadium, Auckland
15. Pat Lambie
14. JP Pietersen
13. Jaque Fourie
12. Frans Steyn
11. Bryan Habana
10. Morné Steyn
9. Fourie du Preez
8. Pierre Spies
7. Schalk Burger
6. Heinrich Brüssow
5. Victor Matfield (Capt)
4. Danie Rossouw
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Bismarck du Plessis
1. Tendai Mtawarira
Replacements
16. John Smit
17. Gurthrö Steenkamp
18. CJ van der Linde
19. Willem Alberts
20. Francois Louw
21. Francois Hougaard
22. Jean de Villiers
It's a very strong team! Doesn't look like we going to be resting too many players during this tournament which is an interesting approach!! Going for the win no doubt and expected!!
 
Very strong squad but I really feel we talked up Samoa unnecessarily.

In 6 games they've never even come close to beating us. With an average score of 53-11. The closest game was 27 points.

Yeah, they beat Australia. But so did Ireland by playing an extremely physical match. Something the Aussies can't seem to handle at the moment with all their young show-off players. Nobody wants to do the hard work up front. Samoa and Ireland exposed that.

Just my 2c. GO BOKKE!!!
 
If Scotland beat England without a bonus point and by a margin greater than 7 Scotland and England will be on 14pts. Argentina are likely to beat Georgia with a 4 trie bonus point which would put them 1st but let's say they win without the bonus point. England, Argentina and Scotland would all be on 14pts.

If at the completion of the pool phase two or more teams are level on match points, then the following criteria shall be used in the following order until one of the Teams can be determined as the higher ranked:

The winner of the match in which the two tied teams have played each other shall be the higher ranked;
The team which has the best difference between points scored for and points scored against in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
The team which has the best difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
The team which has scored most points in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
The team which has scored most tries in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
Should the tie be unresolved at the conclusion of steps 1 through 5, the team that is higher ranked in the updated Official IRB World Rankings on October 3, 2011.


Yes

It's a very strong team! Doesn't look like we going to be resting too many players during this tournament which is an interesting approach!! Going for the win no doubt and expected!!
Thanks

So in a nutshell, Argentina must win with bonus point ( should be achievable) and Scotland must beat England by a margin greater than 7. then it would read argentina 15pt, Scotland and England 14pts but Scotland qualify due to beating England. that looks like the most likely scenario for England getting knocked out.
 
If we don't get 50 points again I'd be shocked. Samoa is all huff and puff and no co-ordination. I just hope they push the Boks enough to get them thinking more strategically. What Ireland showed is that the Aussies panic when they get bashed and if conditions don't allow them to prance around. Hope it rains on our QF game.

Well P Divvy has played every player in the 30 now hasn't he?
 
South Africa v Samoa, 30 September 2011, North Harbour Stadium, Auckland
15. Pat Lambie
14. JP Pietersen
13. Jaque Fourie
12. Frans Steyn
11. Bryan Habana
10. Morné Steyn
9. Fourie du Preez
8. Pierre Spies
7. Schalk Burger
6. Heinrich Brüssow
5. Victor Matfield (Capt)
4. Danie Rossouw
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Bismarck du Plessis
1. Tendai Mtawarira
Replacements
16. John Smit
17. Gurthrö Steenkamp
18. CJ van der Linde
19. Willem Alberts
20. Francois Louw
21. Francois Hougaard
22. Jean de Villiers

Whoooooooo! that is one massively strong line up. :eek: Interestingly Jean is on the bench and PDV is keeping faith with Lambie at Fullback. I think that is a good decision. I hope Lambie performs well as this will mean that he can keep Steyn at 12
 
If we don't get 50 points again I'd be shocked. Samoa is all huff and puff and no co-ordination. I just hope they push the Boks enough to get them thinking more strategically. What Ireland showed is that the Aussies panic when they get bashed and if conditions don't allow them to prance around. Hope it rains on our QF game.

Well P Divvy has played every player in the 30 now hasn't he?

Yes, He indicated that he wanted every member of his squad to have a game before knockouts.
 
Thanks

So in a nutshell, Argentina must win with bonus point ( should be achievable) and Scotland must beat England by a margin greater than 7. then it would read argentina 15pt, Scotland and England 14pts but Scotland qualify due to beating England. that looks like the most likely scenario for England getting knocked out.
Correct. Argentina should get the bonus point correct but I don't see Scotland knocking over England. Far from it really. Englands campaign is gathering momentum while Scotlands never got off the ground.

If we don't get 50 points again I'd be shocked. Samoa is all huff and puff and no co-ordination.
mmmm... I disagree!! A place in the QF's is all the motivation the Samoans need. Add to that the massive support base they enjoy in NZ and the fact that NZ is home away from home for most of them and we going to have our hands full!! I reckon we good for 18-23 point margin but I would be very surprised with anything over 30 or under 15...
 
Correct. Argentina should get the bonus point correct but I don't see Scotland knocking over England. Far from it really. Englands campaign is gathering momentum while Scotlands never got off the ground.

mmmm... I disagree!! A place in the QF's is all the motivation the Samoans need. Add to that the massive support base they enjoy in NZ and the fact that NZ is home away from home for most of them and we going to have our hands full!! I reckon we good for 18-23 point margin but I would be very surprised with anything over 30 or under 15...
I agree, ~20 points will be our winning margin.
 
It's a very strong team! Doesn't look like we going to be resting too many players during this tournament which is an interesting approach!! Going for the win no doubt and expected!!

May be a mistake, the last thing you want is someone injured against Samoa although we could lose to them.

I really feel for Hougard, he has played out of his skin over and over and still gets kicked in the chops.
 
Thanks

So in a nutshell, Argentina must win with bonus point ( should be achievable) and Scotland must beat England by a margin greater than 7. then it would read argentina 15pt, Scotland and England 14pts but Scotland qualify due to beating England. that looks like the most likely scenario for England getting knocked out.

England don't choke they will be beat wales.
 
May be a mistake, the last thing you want is someone injured against Samoa although we could lose to them.

I really feel for Hougard, he has played out of his skin over and over and still gets kicked in the chops.

That guy is so good. Loved it when he handed off the ref to run clear and go score. And that try he made for (i think it was) aplon by pulling three defenders and passing out of the tackle. Sonny bill would've been proud.

I just want to give credit to John Smit as well. I was pretty impressed with his handling skills and workload the last two games. He made a few decent offloads in tackle situations. And our frontrow seem to be pretty stable with him in the middle. Goes a bit to **** when he moves to prop though.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X