Official 2011 Rugby World Cup Thread

Yeah Samoa should take it reasonably comfortably. Scotland argentina is the toughest call of the round. 50/50. I would have gone with arg but they been hit by injuries to key players.

Scotland have looked bloody awful so far but they due a decent performance.

Tough one.
 
And you thought the Aussie press was a one-eyed snake?

http://mobile.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.php?c_id=4&objectid=10754180

The French wanted to top the pool because the lame ducks are lining up on the side of the draw victory would send them.

Argentina or Scotland in the quarter-final and an aging Springboks or a Wallaby side full of ladies who like to lunch; they'd be mad if they didn't want to head down that road and avoid the foaming Celts or the joyless but relentless English.
 
Woke up at 4am to watch the Samoa vs Fiji game. Was expecting a lot of running rugby but instead got a lot of handling errors and mistakes. Unless Samoa pull a miracle or the Boks choose the less noble route of losing the game to get into the "easier" half of the draw I really see another 40+ game for us.

Note: We're on 14 points, Samoa is now on 10 points with Wales on 5 (but a game to Namibia to come). So going into the final games for us to qualify all we need is a bonus point. Samoa would need a bonus point win against us unless Fiji somehow stops Wales from scoring a bonus point. If Samoa does do the impossible, because of tournament rules, two teams that end up on equal points in their pool, their head to head results are considered first so Samoa would end on position 1. Because we've beaten Wales we'd be on 2 and Wales on 3. Points difference and number of tries are looked at after that. (I stand to be corrected on this)
 
I woke up in time to watch the second half... also disappointed by the quality of the rugby. Hope the Irish game is better even though it should be one-sided.
 
I woke up in time to watch the second half... also disappointed by the quality of the rugby. Hope the Irish game is better even though it should be one-sided.
Argentina Scotland should be a cracker... Afterall it's for a place in the play offs...
 
@ Mickey.
Buy the wife some jewelry. ;)
Hehehehe does not work.... if I buy her jewellery or flowers she asks what I have done wrong! I've volunteered to do the laundry today. That way I only miss a few minutes at a time while changing the loads! I'll also make supper tonight (as all my sport will be finished by then - I'm not that keen on the Eng v WI T20).
 
This Argies vs Scots game is so tight! 6-6 right now. 16mins to go. I put the Argies down for a 12 point win on SB.
 
1 point win by the Argies! What a game. Not pretty but such passion. I feel for the Scots.
 
Namibia take parting swipe at schedule

Wales 81 - Namibia 7

Namibia exited the World Cup Monday after losing all four of their Pool D matches, albeit within a punishing schedule of 16 days, something coach Johan Diergaardt branded as "unsuitable".

The southern Africans went down 81-7 in their final game against Wales here on Monday, having previously lost to Fiji (49-25), Samoa (49-12) and South Africa (87-0), the latter on Thursday.

"It was a wonderful experience. Unfortunately, not all the time in our favour," said Diergaardt, who returns to his job as a building contractor a day after his squad arrives back in Windhoek on Wednesday.

"It's hard to play South Africa on Thursday and then have to play Wales on Monday. The turnaround was not suitable, not the most positive thing. We also played Fiji and Samoa in the same sort of sequence."

Several of the "tier two" nations, like Namibia, have complained about their turnaround times between games – often only four days, which they say discriminates against them.

The top teams from the Six Nations and Tri-Nations tournaments in general have been accorded more time to recover between matches.

They aren't the only team raising concerns about the schedule. As I recall, Samoa (or Fiji?) have also raised concern about their playing schedule. Another case of distinctly different rules for the teams in the RWC :(
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X