Official 2011 Rugby World Cup Thread

Damnit! Leave Frans Steyn at fullback you Goddamn muppet.

(Muppet == P.Divvy. The MyBB denizens are all good.)
 
Last edited:
South Africa v Fiji, 17 September 2011, Wellington Regional Stadium, Wellington

15 Pat Lambie (KwaZulu-Natal) - 7 caps
14 JP Pietersen (KwaZulu-Natal) - 39
13 Jaque Fourie (Western Province) - 65
12 Frans Steyn (Racing Metro, France) - 44
11 Odwa Ndungane (KwaZulu-Natal) - 8
10 Morné Steyn (Blue Bulls) - 30
9 Fourie du Preez (Blue Bulls) - 58
8 Pierre Spies (Blue Bulls) - 43
7 Schalk Burger (Western Province) - 64
6 Heinrich Brüssow (Free State Cheetahs) - 16
5 Danie Rossouw (Blue Bulls) - 59
4 Bakkies Botha (Blue Bulls) - 74
3 Jannie du Plessis (KwaZulu-Natal) - 27
2 John Smit (captain, KwaZulu-Natal) - 107
1 Gurthrö Steenkamp (Blue Bulls) - 34
Replacements
16 Bismarck du Plessis (KwaZulu-Natal) - 39
17 Tendai Mtawarira (KwaZulu-Natal) - 29
18 Johann Muller (Ulster, N Ireland) - 24
19 Willem Alberts (KwaZulu-Natal) - 5
20 Francois Hougaard (Blue Bulls) - 11
21 Ruan Pienaar (Ulster, N Ireland) - 49
22 Juan de Jongh (Western Province) - 8
 
No wonder our rugby will never come right, playing players out of position and not the best first choices. The bokkies will be elimanated in the quaters or semis.

Team should have been

15 Frans Steyn
14 JP Pietersen
13 Jaque Fourie
12 Juan de Jongh
11 Gio Aplon
10 Morné Steyn
9 Francois Hougaard
8 Willem Alberts
7 Schalk Burger
6 Heinrich Brüssow
5 Francois Louw
4 Bakkies Botha
3 Jannie du Plessis
2 Bismarck du Plessis
1 Gurthrö Steenkamp
Replacements
John Smit
Tendai Mtawarira
Johann Muller
Pierre Spies
F du Preez
Ruan Pienaar
Butch James

Why the hell do you want to move Frans Steyn to midfield when he had a good game at fullback and messing with the backline positions. we have a good reliable test centre in de Jongh that will fit in nicely with Jacqui Fourie. Pat Lambie is still too inexsperienced at test level. Fiji are going to murder him at fullback. i just don't understand PDV and his cronies decisions. and why would you wana play Odwa Ndungane who should have never been picked for the RWC. has not even stand out in the CC. picking players for defensive reasons is a joke. you faking pick a player on merit and in his best position, believe me Aplon is capable of defending like the rest of the team. if you watched the Wales game, the small Welsh players made Danie and Pierre look like dummies the way they tackled them. why is F du Preez still starting at No.9, he is clearly not on form at Test level atm. you cannot pick a player on his past reputation. Hougaard is our best scrummie atm and needs to start the game. our game will suffer as the forwards and backs will not get quick ball, the same happened in the Welsh game. Willem Alberts is twice the player that Spies is, i cannot understand why they start Spies. he was non-existent in the Welsh game. Surely Francios Louw can do a better job then butterhands Rossouw. don't even want to mention why Smit is still starting.

sigh...........
 
A trivial thing but it always amazes how good Schalk Burger's English is.
 
Good to see Bakkies back. I hope they're not rushing things.
 
No wonder our rugby will never come right, playing players out of position and not the best first choices. The bokkies will be elimanated in the quaters or semis.

Team should have been

15 Frans Steyn
14 JP Pietersen
13 Jaque Fourie
12 Juan de Jongh
11 Gio Aplon
10 Morné Steyn
9 Francois Hougaard
8 Willem Alberts
7 Schalk Burger
6 Heinrich Brüssow
5 Francois Louw
4 Bakkies Botha
3 Jannie du Plessis
2 Bismarck du Plessis
1 Gurthrö Steenkamp
Replacements
John Smit
Tendai Mtawarira
Johann Muller
Pierre Spies
F du Preez
Ruan Pienaar
Butch James

Is Francois Louw a lock???
 
A trivial thing but it always amazes how good Schalk Burger's English is.
Agreed. His physical appearance doesn't match his voice or how he articulates. I expect him to sound more like Bismarck.... :p

Good to see Bakkies back. I hope they're not rushing things.
Oh, they rushing things alright!! I reckon Bakkies is the sacrificial lamb!! He must play to give Johan and Victor time to recover. He's going to aggravate his injury and most likely be sent home but he probably wants at least one run out at this years world cup...

Is Francois Louw a lock???
Just way too much unjustified negativity in Stevie's posts for us to take him seriously...
 
Last edited:
Gees boet that's a lot of changes in the back line. Risky!!

Bismarck has been immense lately, agreed. Must be disconcerting for John, all the negativity around his selection. I wonder how much actually gets to him.

Albert's at 5 would be interesting.

Lambie at 15 agreed.

Look, I don't think this Fijian side is as organized or competent as in 2007 so whoever starts we should roll them reasonably comfortably. Get the balance of the team right and select close to full strength and we should win by 25-30. Take a few risks ala the Devill route and 7-8.

I think Frans on inside centre is a good call. I just wish that he could be on the outside. I think he might have been picked above de Jong to start to help with the defence in Morne's channel. Not that de Jong is bad on defence (Imo he is very solid) it is just that Frans Steyn is physically bigger.

As to John, he did not step down so I do not feel sympathy towards him. Also I have heard from a friend (reliable "insider") that Smith wanted to retire 2 years ago and that he was offered a nice big cash bonus if he stuck around till after the WC 2011....

South Africa v Fiji, 17 September 2011, Wellington Regional Stadium, Wellington

15 Pat Lambie (KwaZulu-Natal) - 7 caps
14 JP Pietersen (KwaZulu-Natal) - 39
13 Jaque Fourie (Western Province) - 65
12 Frans Steyn (Racing Metro, France) - 44
11 Odwa Ndungane (KwaZulu-Natal) - 8
10 Morné Steyn (Blue Bulls) - 30
9 Fourie du Preez (Blue Bulls) - 58
8 Pierre Spies (Blue Bulls) - 43
7 Schalk Burger (Western Province) - 64
6 Heinrich Brüssow (Free State Cheetahs) - 16
5 Danie Rossouw (Blue Bulls) - 59
4 Bakkies Botha (Blue Bulls) - 74
3 Jannie du Plessis (KwaZulu-Natal) - 27
2 John Smit (captain, KwaZulu-Natal) - 107
1 Gurthrö Steenkamp (Blue Bulls) - 34
Replacements
16 Bismarck du Plessis (KwaZulu-Natal) - 39
17 Tendai Mtawarira (KwaZulu-Natal) - 29
18 Johann Muller (Ulster, N Ireland) - 24
19 Willem Alberts (KwaZulu-Natal) - 5
20 Francois Hougaard (Blue Bulls) - 11
21 Ruan Pienaar (Ulster, N Ireland) - 49
22 Juan de Jongh (Western Province) - 8

I like the look of this team. Glad to see Lambie in the mix, great to see guthro getting some much needed time on the field as well. No idea why Ruan is there....
I also get the feeling that Bakkies is not 100% yet but that he is being rushed into it. I seriously hope Muller gets the fitness nod before saturday.

A trivial thing but it always amazes how good Schalk Burger's English is.

I am also amazed at his cricketing skills. His father's command of the "soutie taal" also amazed me.

Just way too much unjustified negativity in Stevie's posts for us to take him seriously...

I never take Stevie G too seriously as he does not bother to take part in the thread he just trolls in and out every now and again. :)

On saturday I am hoping for Frans to open up some space for Fourie and hopefully lambie links up well with the backline.

The thing that I would really like to see is Fourie getting his groove back and that the forwrds play more direct rugby. I really want to see how our defence holds up against a team that never stops running at you.
 
Fear the Beard!

Adam-Kleeberger-lineout-110914G300.jpg


Impressively bearded Canadian flanker Adam Kleeberger has disappointed his growing army of fans by announcing he will lose his trademark whiskers at the end of the World Cup.

The fearsome-looking Kleeberger, whose caveman-style outcrop is so distinctive it has been trending on Twitter, said the seven-month growth would be gone in a whisker when the Canucks depart the tournament.

"It would be pretty hard for me not to shave it off. I kind of miss having my face," he told the Rugby World Cup website.

"But right now I'm just focusing on this Rugby World Cup and I'll think about that afterwards."

The modest Kleeberger attracted headlines such as "Fear the beard" and "Kleeberger helps his country win by a hair" after his man-of-the-match display in Canada's win over Tonga on Wednesday.

"Kleeberger is 27 but his beard looks a bit older," quipped one commentator.

He is the leader in the pack of a team packed with facial adornments, with Hubert Buydens and Jebb Sinclair both working the wildman look at the World Cup.

And Kleeberger, who currently turns out for Canada's British Columbia Bears, is hoping his sudden and unsolicited fame may help him catch the eye of a new professional club.

"If it does then that's great," he said. "I didn't really have a reason for growing the beard when I started and it's now got more attention than I ever thought possible.

"So if that comes (a contract), hopefully it's based on the way I'm playing as well. But it would be nice."

Nice story :)
 
Ok so what was the margins you guys guessed for todays game NZ vs Jap?

I said by 51 points :o
 
I haven't gotten a score right yet in this tournament, mayge should've gone with 90 instead of 45.

Lol, I had a couple of scores very close (got most margin points on SB) but I thought Japan, after building rugby up a lot over the last 12 years would at least put in a better performance... thus 51 point margin.... clearly I was wrong :(
 
A point a minute :(

I am going to be to low for the margin point on SB....

Know the feeling. In our pool my Total Point Difference is the lowest, yet I'm languishing in the bottom half because of no BPs and too little MPs... :(
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X