Official 2011 Rugby World Cup Thread

Haha, no idea. Did he not play today?

No, maybe he was injured. I think I remember them looking at his arm in the last game but not sure.

reading an article now they say the USA would not be playing some of their leading players, makes no sense.
 
Last edited:
No, maybe he was injured. I think I remember them looking at his arm in the last game but not sure.

reading an article now they say the USA would not be playing some of their leading players, makes no sense.

Might think they have a better shot at beating the Irish....
 
thats what I thought now. The USA know they have a slim chance against the OZ so they rest the big guns for the easier matches and hope to go through that way. Should they beat some other teams and meet a big team in the semi-finals or whatever then they would have achieved something for themselves and opened doors for them too.
 
Yeah, they had a good tournament so far!! A credible performance against Ireland, hard earned victory against Russia. If they can beat Italy they will over the moon!! Italy is effectively their campaign highlight!!
 
Yeah, they had a good tournament so far!! A credible performance against Ireland, hard earned victory against Russia. If they can beat Italy they will over the moon!! Italy is effectively their campaign highlight!!

Jip. The same as Japan wanting to topple the Somoans and in NZ. I must say a couple of minnows have played out of their skins in a game or two.
 
Jip. The same as Japan wanting to topple the Somoans and in NZ. I must say a couple of minnows have played out of their skins in a game or two.
Indeed. I would love Italy to beat Ireland!! Unlikely but not impossible and it might put Ireland back on the road to a SA quarter final!!!!

These Ozzies worry me!!!

When they turn it on they are devastating!! And they clever rather than hard and the Boks battle with clever... What Ozzie lack is a reliable goal kicker and depth/cover in all positions!! Both these weaknesses were horribly exposed by Ireland!!
 
Lambie did not knock the door down for a place in the 22 with his performance yesterday, imo. I would not risk putting him as starting in a big game. In the Knock outs I would have FS on Fullback and Jean in the 12 jersey.

This is what I hate about PDV the most. He plays one of the most talented no 10's on Fullback and the world think he plays crap.

Lambie isn't a Fullback and should not be rated there. By no means did he have a bad game, but he just isn't a fullback.
 
This is what I hate about PDV the most. He plays one of the most talented no 10's on Fullback and the world think he plays crap.

Lambie isn't a Fullback and should not be rated there. By no means did he have a bad game, but he just isn't a fullback.
Lambie's played most of his rugby at fullback so I don't endorse your argument.

I personally think he is more fullback than flyhalf at this level.
 
Indeed. I would love Italy to beat Ireland!! Unlikely but not impossible and it might put Ireland back on the road to a SA quarter final!!!!

These Ozzies worry me!!!

When they turn it on they are devastating!! And they clever rather than hard and the Boks battle with clever... What Ozzie lack is a reliable goal kicker and depth/cover in all positions!! Both these weaknesses were horribly exposed by Ireland!!

The Aussies showed that without Pocock they are very uneffective at the breakdowns and if we can keep the game tight we will beat them. Same can be said for us, if brussouw is out we will struggle.

The Aussies do play clever rugby but they also struggle when the pressure is on. See how they got more and more spooked once Ireland did the basics well?

I really think come knock outs we should beat them IF we can play the tight game.
 
Lambie's played most of his rugby at fullback so I don't endorse your argument.

I personally think he is more fullback than flyhalf at this level.

I disagree whole heartedly.

Just because he played most of his rugby at Fullback doesn't mean he's a better fullback than a flyhalf. He has proven to be a legend in the making playing flyhalf for the Sharks. He has never even really shined at Fullback.
 
I disagree whole heartedly.

Just because he played most of his rugby at Fullback doesn't mean he's a better fullback than a flyhalf. He has proven to be a legend in the making playing flyhalf for the Sharks. He has never even really shined at Fullback.
Yeah but why would you criticize PDV for selecting him at fullback when most of his life he has been coached and selected at fullback?

I think the primary reason the Sharks selected him at 10 is because they had no one else but where you critical of him being picked at fullback I'm critical of him being picked out of position at 10.

He can pull it off cause he is incredibly talented but not at international level. I would prefer to see him play and make the fullback spot his own.
 
Last edited:
Yeah but why would you criticize PDV for selecting him at fullback when most of his life he has been coached and selected at fullback?

I think the primary reason the Sharks selected him at 10 is because they had no one else but where you critical of him being picked at fullback I'm critical of him being picked out of position at 10.

He can pull it off cause he is incredibly talented but not at international level. I would prefer to see him play and make the fullback spot his own.

I see your point :o

It's just that we have other people who can play 15 way better than him. Give Lambie a shot at the number 10 jersey. He will OWN the jersey ;)
 
There is only one future for the Bok number 10 jersey.

Johan Goosen

I am a bit biased because I was lucky enough to do an interview with him last year when he still played for Grey Kollege and we have since become friends. But dammit that kid is talented.
 
I see your point :o

It's just that we have other people who can play 15 way better than him. Give Lambie a shot at the number 10 jersey. He will OWN the jersey ;)
Well, that's the thing with this squad. In the back line in particular, there is a lot of versatility.

I mean, we in a position where after losing JDV to injury we have a replacement slotting in and actually strengthening the centre combination. You have a player of the caliber of Habana, (warranted horribly out of form) replaced by JP and Odwa and again, the net result was a strengthening of the back 3.

Hougaard, growing in stature with every outing, adds another dimension!! Having a guy like that on the bench is priceless. Cover at 9,11,14!!! Having a guy like Butch on the bench, cover at 10,12!!! Having a guy like Lambie on the bench cover at 10,12,15!!! Having a guy like Gio on the bench cover at 11,14,15!!!

We were incredibly fortunate to have these guys fit and available for this world cup!!!

So, ja, in conclusion if Lambie wants to make the starting XV he really is going to have to play his socks off!! With Butch and M Steyn fit he's going to have to do the business at 15 and unfortunately against Namibia he didn't really stamp his authority!!

Does it matter??!!! Not really!!! This lightie is going to be around for a longtime yet!! Hell, he could very well go to the 2015 RWC as the teams journeyed campaigner!! He may even be in the mix for 2019 too!!!

Slightly off topic now, but OZ have suffered some significant injuries to key players in today's game against USA!!!!! I know it's rude but damn, I'm happy about that!!

The big question now is what team do we go with against Samoa in a weeks time??!!!!! I would be inclined to rest most of the starting XV!! We can't afford to lose the game but I think we have more than enough in the squad for the B team to do the business....
 
There is only one future for the Bok number 10 jersey.

Johan Goosen

I am a bit biased because I was lucky enough to do an interview with him last year when he still played for Grey Kollege and we have since become friends. But dammit that kid is talented.
Couldn't agree with you more!!! It's not a case of if but rather when...

The only thing that will stop him is a fat juicy overseas contract and/or a serious injury but yes, a more prodigious talent I have not seen for a while!!!

What was his injury in the Sharks game? It looked like cramp!!
 
Well, that's the thing with this squad. In the back line in particular, there is a lot of versatility.

I mean, we in a position where after losing JDV to injury we have a replacement slotting in and actually strengthening the centre combination. You have a player of the caliber of Habana, (warranted horribly out of form) replaced by JP and Odwa and again, the net result was a strengthening of the back 3.

Hougaard, growing in stature with every outing, adds another dimension!! Having a guy like that on the bench is priceless. Cover at 9,11,14!!! Having a guy like Butch on the bench, cover at 10,12!!! Having a guy like Lambie on the bench cover at 10,12,15!!! Having a guy like Gio on the bench cover at 11,14,15!!!

We were incredibly fortunate to have these guys fit and available for this world cup!!!

So, ja, in conclusion if Lambie wants to make the starting XV he really is going to have to play his socks off!! With Butch and M Steyn fit he's going to have to do the business at 15 and unfortunately against Namibia he didn't really stamp his authority!!

Does it matter??!!! Not really!!! This lightie is going to be around for a longtime yet!! Hell, he could very well go to the 2015 RWC as the teams journeyed campaigner!! He may even be in the mix for 2019 too!!!

Slightly off topic now, but OZ have suffered some significant injuries to key players in today's game against USA!!!!! I know it's rude but damn, I'm happy about that!!

The big question now is what team do we go with against Samoa in a weeks time??!!!!! I would be inclined to rest most of the starting XV!! We can't afford to lose the game but I think we have more than enough in the squad for the B team to do the business....

lol, Sandman you are the most passionate rugby support here imo... I had to laugh when I saw all the "!!!!" and "????" :D

Hope the damn Kiwis could also have a bit of a hard game VS the Frogs.
 
lol, Sandman you are the most passionate rugby support here imo... I had to laugh when I saw all the "!!!!" and "????" :D

Hope the damn Kiwis could also have a bit of a hard game VS the Frogs.

Haha yeah dude. We not gathered around the braai debating and going bos so one has to rather use punctuation marks in abundance to try and convey the sentiment as accurately as possible.

Mind you that's not a bad idea. We should all get together for a game.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X