Official 2011 Rugby World Cup Thread

@wayne... here the official rules (from the IRB site):

Rankings at the completion of the pool phase

At the completion of the pool phase, the teams in a pool are ranked one through five based on their cumulative match points, and identified respectively as winner, runner-up, third, fourth and fifth.

If at the completion of the pool phase two or more teams are level on match points, then the following criteria shall be used in the following order until one of the Teams can be determined as the higher ranked:
- The winner of the match in which the two tied teams have played each other shall be the higher ranked;
- The team which has the best difference between points scored for and points scored against in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
- The team which has the best difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
- The team which has scored most points in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
- The team which has scored most tries in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
- Should the tie be unresolved at the conclusion of steps 1 through 5, the team that is higher ranked in the updated Official IRB World Rankings on October 3, 2011.

damn quota system.

Thanks boet.
 
From your lips to Gods ears... Highly unlikely!!! But we will all be routing for Italy!! If Italy beat Ireland and Ireland don't get a point out of it, Italy would finish 2nd....

Yeah, it's not often many of us (without Italian heritage) would be shouting for the Italians. Nonetheless, a very unlikely outcome given the Irish seemingly coming to life in this tournament.
 
ooooh me thinks some of us either under estimating the Samoans or over estimating the Boks... Could be interesting..

I think the Samoans will come guns blazing and that will give us a couple more gaps than would be the norm. But it all depends on if we will play the type of running rugby like we did vs Fiji or if we will play the real Bok rugby and choke them slowly.

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/rugby-world-cup/news/110927/Italy_secure_bonuspoint_win_over_US

So the question is this, can Italy beat Ireland, force there way into the quarters and eliminate Ireland? :confused:

It would have to be with a bonus point. Stranger things have happened.

I highly doubt it. Ireland might cut it finer than they like but I am willing to put down R5000 that Ireland will not lose to Italy.

I might have asked this before somewhere but does a higher scoring game, lets say 87-0, give you more points then a lower scoring game and I am including bonus points here too?

Yes. If you score 87 you have more points than if you score anything less than 87 :p:D
 
I am going to go watch the rerun at the Pub after work :D

even if samoa win ? hahahaha


Not sure why the scribes are predicting a close tussle between the Boks and Samoa.

Somehow i think the Boks thrive on the sheer physicality and enjoy smashing opponents to bits.

Samoa will do well to score around 20 points. I will be sad if we dont score atleast 40-50 against them.
 
even if samoa win ? hahahaha


Not sure why the scribes are predicting a close tussle between the Boks and Samoa.

Somehow i think the Boks thrive on the sheer physicality and enjoy smashing opponents to bits.

Samoa will do well to score around 20 points. I will be sad if we dont score atleast 40-50 against them.

If Samoa win I will watch it and see whom I need to give a klap when they get to OR Tambo.... :D

I hope we take it by atleast 25 points.
 
A whole day without rugby? :(

The IRB needs to look into the scheduling of this tournament. Some days we have 3 games, others 1...and then gap days here and there. Sure the could be a smarter way of spacing things out?!

Can't wait for the Bok game too. I know its wrong for me to say it but I'm secretly hoping Habana catches a niggle in the game, it seems its the only way P Divvy will keep him out the side :p. He's a legend and I love the guy but he is a liability in his position right now.
 
So long as we don't get any serious injuries ;)

Is it just me but i think we probably have the best squad at the WC. Even with a few injuries our backups have proven their worth albeit against weaker opposition. I love the fact that some of our players are so adaptable and can play in various positions when needed.
 
A whole day without rugby? :(

The IRB needs to look into the scheduling of this tournament. Some days we have 3 games, others 1...and then gap days here and there. Sure the could be a smarter way of spacing things out?!

Can't wait for the Bok game too. I know its wrong for me to say it but I'm secretly hoping Habana catches a niggle in the game, it seems its the only way P Divvy will keep him out the side :p. He's a legend and I love the guy but he is a liability in his position right now.

it's all about the benjamins....
 
Is it just me but i think we probably have the best squad at the WC. Even with a few injuries our backups have proven their worth albeit against weaker opposition. I love the fact that some of our players are so adaptable and can play in various positions when needed.

I tend to agree with you. There seems to be decent depth in the squad. Almost everyone who has played, has played well. Don't want to jinx it though :p
 
I tend to agree with you. There seems to be decent depth in the squad. Almost everyone who has played, has played well. Don't want to jinx it though :p

Must say the the guys have really stepped up thus far and everyone is pully their weight. There are obvious guys that are in better form (Hougaard vs Habana, etc etc) but as a group I think we have one of the better ones in this WC.
 
mmmmm... I think we getting a bit carried away... I like the positivity but really what have we done so far this world cup? An iffy 1 point win against Wales and a couple of big wins against the IRB's number 15 and 22 respectively. Yes we've conceded only 23 penalties and the 1 try in 3 outings and that is very impressive but other than Wales we been under very little pressure...

Let's see Samoa and then more importantly OZ in the QF's.

For now I am only mildly impressed but we need to remain grounded and circumspect...
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X