Official AMD Ryzen Reviews

Back to the point,if you have money every year to throw at gaming pc's go intel 7700k now,if you upgrade every 5-6years go ryzen as it's played its hand very smart and only going to be amazing 1-2 years from now.
 
Back to the point,if you have money every year to throw at gaming pc's go intel 7700k now,if you upgrade every 5-6years go ryzen as it's played its hand very smart and only going to be amazing 1-2 years from now.

That's a bit harsh...I've kept my 2500K for 6 years already (Q6600 before that for 4-5 years).

A decent CPU from either company will last a long, long time since software is generally written to perform across a huge baseline of hardware.
 
That's a bit harsh...I've kept my 2500K for 6 years already (Q6600 before that for 4-5 years).

A decent CPU from either company will last a long, long time since software is generally written to perform across a huge baseline of hardware.

Yeah, but I think once R5 launches it WILL accelerate how many threads the average user can run. 8 threads will be "average" or "low" very quickly.
 
Yeah, but I think once R5 launches it WILL accelerate how many threads the average user can run. 8 threads will be "average" or "low" very quickly.

Depends on how the market adopts it which in turn will drive what Intel does next "proper" gen (not this second tock nonsense). Worst case, people don't buy into it in large enough numbers and the general consensus remains 4 cores is enough for the masses.

I'm waiting to see what the OEM market does...the fourth quarter of this year is going to be interesting.
 
That's a bit harsh...I've kept my 2500K for 6 years already (Q6600 before that for 4-5 years).

A decent CPU from either company will last a long, long time since software is generally written to perform across a huge baseline of hardware.
had my 2500k for long as well,but when i got my gtx1070 it didn't keep up and saw better frames from my current 3770
 
Im blown away by the overclocking performance numbers guys are posting on other forums, especially the 1700 which people seem to be getting consistently to 3.8 and 3.9 GHz all 8 cores.

I cant wait for the 4 and 6 core variants to be available - that's where the gaming CPUs will be at.

The 1700 is the one to buy, it will oc to 3.8-39GHz while the 1800X gets 4.0-4.1GHz, which is not that big a leap performance wise while the 1700 is significantly cheaper!
 
Have a look at the most recent digital foundry videos about the 2500k. Even overclocked it lags behind.

I wanted to upgrade my 2600K as I thought it was my bottleneck. I decided to watercool and overclock instead. At the settings I play The Division at with my R9 290, I got 1 - 2fps faster in the benchmark going from 3.4 to 4.3 Ghz. That is when targeting 60fps. It is lagging behind the latest, but not nearly enough that it's becoming a problem.

In the BF1 trial this weekend, I played a couple of 64 player matches. Hell, even with my relatively old card and old CPU I was at a constant 60fps on ultra settings.

It really is amazing how well CPUs remain "good enough" these days.
 
I'm also still running my i5 2500k at 4.3GHz, but I can feel the CPU straining in ARK quite a bit. But I'll hold off on upgrading for another year or so. Maybe I'll even give AMD a bash
 
I wanted to upgrade my 2600K as I thought it was my bottleneck. I decided to watercool and overclock instead. At the settings I play The Division at with my R9 290, I got 1 - 2fps faster in the benchmark going from 3.4 to 4.3 Ghz. That is when targeting 60fps. It is lagging behind the latest, but not nearly enough that it's becoming a problem.

In the BF1 trial this weekend, I played a couple of 64 player matches. Hell, even with my relatively old card and old CPU I was at a constant 60fps on ultra settings.

It really is amazing how well CPUs remain "good enough" these days.
That's because they've not done a lot of upgrades on the cpu.
 
The future of Ryzen is basically dependent on Vulkan when it comes to gaming.
No idea if Vulkan has been optimized yet for Ryzen though, probably going to want to look at doom 4 benchmarks.
 
Last edited:
The future of Ryzen is basically dependent on Vulkan when it comes to gaming.
No idea if Vulkan has been optimized yet for Ryzen though, probably going to want to look at doom 4 benchmarks.
i don't think it's dependent on vulkan to be honest..Windows has not favored ryzen as yet,should see an patch for that soon.

Best i'd say is see and wait
 
Has anyone bought one yet?

Just saw a clip regarding the upcoming Naples server CPU, looks to be a 32 core 64 thread,
and gonna have 8 channel ram, not sure how they ended up with only 2 channel on Ryzen?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X