OFFICIAL HTC Desire Thread

Hmmm, that would drive me insane. An app drawer that's so full will make me pull my hair out. The emptier my app drawer the happier I am :P In fact, you can see my entire app drawer on ONE screen i.e. no scrolling. That doesn't mean I don't have apps installed, though, it just means that I've hidden them :P
 
The guys who are wondering about the Desire and warranty, go and read your warranty carefully. You'll notice that is does not have anything in it that implies or means that warranty will be void if you flash or root the phone.
 
The guys who are wondering about the Desire and warranty, go and read your warranty carefully. You'll notice that is does not have anything in it that implies or means that warranty will be void if you flash or root the phone.

I've read on a few other forums where Leaf refused to service rooted HTCs.
 
The guys who are wondering about the Desire and warranty, go and read your warranty carefully. You'll notice that is does not have anything in it that implies or means that warranty will be void if you flash or root the phone.

I've read on a few other forums where Leaf refused to service rooted HTCs.

+1

dakota, you might want to be a little careful saying stuff like that, because some people will think "aah ok, nobody cares if I root", and then be screwed when they go to Vodacom to get their phone swapped out. Rooting your phone voids the warranty. This is common knowledge in the rooting/modding community.

What's interesting, though, is this: Are the techies at Vodacom or MTN even going to know the difference? I'm not convinced that these guys know anything other than how to restore the phone to factory settings or do a firmware update.
 
What's interesting, though, is this: Are the techies at Vodacom or MTN even going to know the difference? I'm not convinced that these guys know anything other than how to restore the phone to factory settings or do a firmware update.

That is a very good point. I suppose it can all depend on your luck in this case - getting a moron or a technician who knows what he's doing. The odds are in your favour, I would say ;)

BTW, enjoying my Desire. Installed some apps and even purchased a game - N.O.V.A. directly from gameloft. I played the iPhone lite version, so it will be interesting to see how the two compare. Also struggled to get artwork on my albums, before I discovered a nice little app called Album Art Grabber. Works like magic. Looking for a GPS app right now - installed the trial of Ndrive, but not overly impressed with it and can't seem to find Copilot or Navigon trial versions anywhere.
 
I'm using the brut maps app/hack for navigation. The voice sucks a bit and it pronounces "Dr." for drive as "doctor" and "Fwy" for freeway as "fwy" but otherwise it works fine.
 
The voice uses the built in text to speech, not pre-recorded snippets like most gps apps.
 
I'm using the brut maps app/hack for navigation. The voice sucks a bit and it pronounces "Dr." for drive as "doctor" and "Fwy" for freeway as "fwy" but otherwise it works fine.

Thanks for this. Will download the Brut hack tonight. Does my phone have to be rooted though?
 
Thanks for this. Will download the Brut hack tonight. Does my phone have to be rooted though?

nope it doesn't

Edit

I see in the latest update of google it lists navigation as one of the new features, will see if it works. Downloading it now
 
Last edited:
i upadted to the latest google maps from market and it does not have voice navigation on my side
 
I'm using the brut maps app/hack for navigation. The voice sucks a bit and it pronounces "Dr." for drive as "doctor" and "Fwy" for freeway as "fwy" but otherwise it works fine.

Hey rorz0r,

Thanks for the heads up on brut maps - installed last night and tested this morning - works very well! You were right about the voice sucking a bit, it is too fast and the chick can't prnounce Afrikaans street names in Centurion, lol. I guess it is because of the text-to-speech. But it is not a deal breaker - it still makes sense.

Wanted to ask you - I see Google maps uses 3G to load maps, but one can cache maps on an SD card. I found an app on the Market that does it for you, but I think I tried to cache the maps too closely, so it said it needs to do like 300,000 tiles and only did 30,000 during the whole night. What is an acceptable level of zoom? 20 metres? Also, if I do use the 3G to load maps, how much data will it eat?
 
I'm using the brut maps app/hack for navigation. The voice sucks a bit and it pronounces "Dr." for drive as "doctor" and "Fwy" for freeway as "fwy" but otherwise it works fine.

Can you post the link please, having endless problems with the one on the XDA site. Problem parsing file?? I figure the download might be corrupted (when downloading on my pc), so i need the direct link to download it straight to my phone.
 
Can you post the link please, having endless problems with the one on the XDA site. Problem parsing file?? I figure the download might be corrupted (when downloading on my pc), so i need the direct link to download it straight to my phone.

very strange - I downloaded the one from XDA website (verison 14) and it works perfectly
 
What do you guys pay for your contracts? I'm curious! I pay R450 for R350 of airtime, plus R92 for insurance and then R50 for 200sms' and R80 for 100mb! How much do you guys pay? And is the HTC Desire Optional Pouch PO S520 a good buy and has anyone tried CoPilot gps software?
This phone is awesome :D I got mine a week ago :D :D :D
 
im also on mtn and paying 450 a month blo_op
i also want the desire optional pouch.cant beleive they didnt put one in the box.silly ppl.
co pilot is good i hear and itz not so expensive
how much is the 75mb bundle?or 40mb.is that available on mtn contracts?
 
Did you see the R450 actually works out better than paying in R2200, because if you upgrade in 20 months it works out cheaper! So I think that is the best contract you get for the Desire!
Ja geez this phone is supposed to be super high end, they could at least give us a friggin pouch! The problem is getting this pouch is R140 but I can only find it at Expansy's and they then charge R65 for delivery, so will have to see. Any other ideas pouch wise? I want an HTC pouch, don't want some generic pouch :D I just want to talk to someone who has tried copilot to get an idea, cause even though it's just R400 or so, I don't want crappy software for R400, I can buy Heavy Rain for R400 :D
Dude if you can get MTN to give you the 75mg bundle, you will be the envy of all MTN customers! They advertise it but you just can't get it hey. IMO get the 100mg bundle, this phone can suck data quick quick!
 
ya but did u hear abt this promo fee crap when u wanted to upgrade?
yes i need a pouch too.i ordered one from ebay.worked out cheaper.
why cant ppl get the 75mb?thats crap.
yea i noticed its sucking alot of data.but i got it to be okay now.installed some auto task killers n stuff
yesterday used abt 400kb all day
 
Nope, no promo fee, although I'm pretty sure the R100 we pay extra is the promo fee hey! They called it that with my previous HTC.
Did you get the official HTC Desire pouch, how much did it cost you including shipping?
I have no idea, I was told it will be available on 1 April and well it's almost 1 August now, so it looks like MTN are dragging ass.
Which app killer do you have? Just make sure your app killer ignores your anti virus and your alarm, otherwise it switches both off and they don't kickstart themselves again!
I used like 5mg yesterday, at least I have wifi at work so it's not so bad, just turn off the automatic stuff then it should be good, I still think rather get 100mg just to be safe though.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X