Official ICC 2015 CWC thread

I don't think you're getting it.

Playing cricket in Dubai doesn't develop cricket in Afghanistan.

One alternative is for the broadcasters and by extension the ICC to broadcast more of these Division B games on TV. At least create awareness, because I'm not sure people even know about these teams apart from when they see them at the CWC every four years.

I was simply replying to a comment you made.
None of the teams want to play there!
The development of the game in Afghanistan doesn't ONLY hinge on opposition teams going to play there. The issue (as I see it) revolves around their international team getting game time. In this matter, I said playing in Dubai (like Pakistan do) is one option.
 
I was simply replying to a comment you made. The development of the game in Afghanistan doesn't ONLY hinge on opposition teams going to play there. The issue (as I see it) revolves around their international team getting game time. In this matter, I said playing in Dubai (like Pakistan do) is one option.
I misunderstood then, apologies.
 
If we bat first then we have to go big and scoreboard pressure should assist our bowlers.

If we bat second then we have to chase down whatever they set.

India's bowlers are inferior to ours and they seem to get by fine. In limited overs good batsmen are more important because you don't need to take 20 wickets to win a game...

Yeah, very valid and in-particular on these batting friendly surfaces encountered so far. Having said that NZ and OZ have the bowlers with the skill to exploit any/all conditions which makes them favourites!

Would be the 5th bowler (who ever that) is provide more to the team performance then the extra batter does?? I don't think so. I rather stick with my specialist 7 batters and back jp,faf,ab and rillee to manage 10 overs between them.

Sadly we lack that out and out all rounder! Imagine Shaun Pollock in this squad? Or Brian McMillian? Or Adrian Kuiper? Or Clive Rice? Or Klusener? We missing that world class all rounder!!!

I think the problem with the current line-up is the importance of the toss. We have the same problem Ireland has now. Unless we set the score we end up being our worse enemies. We don't seem to have the killer instinct in finishing off the opposition in our bowling attack. We need to put them under pressure in chasing a big score to break through.

The toss seems to have played a disproportionate roll in this CWC!! Although it's played a role in all the CWC where day/night games have been played! By default teams choose to bat first? It's hardly ever beneficial to bowl first?
 
Yeah, very valid and in-particular on these batting friendly surfaces encountered so far. Having said that NZ and OZ have the bowlers with the skill to exploit any/all conditions which makes them favourites!



Sadly we lack that out and out all rounder! Imagine Shaun Pollock in this squad? Or Brian McMillian? Or Adrian Kuiper? Or Clive Rice? Or Klusener? We missing that world class all rounder!!!



The toss seems to have played a disproportionate roll in this CWC!! Although it's played a role in all the CWC where day/night games have been played! By default teams choose to bat first? It's hardly ever beneficial to bowl first?

Some teams prefer to chase a total if they have the bowling attack up front and the batsmen to carry them through. I think it's about playing to your strengths. With the current setup we have, I highly doubt we'll be able to chase a good total.
 
I can understand the other nations but how're you going to develop cricket in that dump called Afghanistan? None of the teams want to play there!

Play in Dubai like Pakistan do.

Agreed. Wherever they can stage games against these teams it should be arranged.

And the excuses for Ireland, Scotland, UAE, and let's even include Holland and Canada?

And include these nations too into the future of Cricket.

Football / Soccer is a global sport. Maybe I dream too much, but I would love to see greater competition in the sport where more teams from the so-called minnow nations have a fair chance. I just do not think it's in the interests of those who control the money spend at the ICC to allow it to happen... and for this I am truly sorry.
 
Interesting comment there by Mark Nicholas "Team selection in South Africa has different criteria and understandably so". Obviously not for our national team.
 
Right then. Toyed with them enough. Time to finish them off.
 
Right then. Toyed with them enough. Time to finish them off.

Well, this is exactly the point isn't it??

If our 5th bowler/s cannot do the job against Ireland, what chance against India, SL, OZ, NZ? We not always going to have opposition on the ropes when the 5th bowler/s are introduced!
 
Football / Soccer is a global sport. Maybe I dream too much, but I would love to see greater competition in the sport where more teams from the so-called minnow nations have a fair chance. I just do not think it's in the interests of those who control the money spend at the ICC to allow it to happen... and for this I am truly sorry.

Indeed. Spain even played Bafana in a FRIENDLY a couple of years back, for crying out loud.



Clearly he doesn't understand the below...

Interesting comment there by Mark Nicholas "Team selection in South Africa has different criteria and understandably so". Obviously not for our national team.

Uh... Behardien/Parnell.
 
Back on track with Ireland 6 down and into the lower middle order.
 
Well, this is exactly the point isn't it??

If our 5th bowler/s cannot do the job against Ireland, what chance against India, SL, OZ, NZ? We not always going to have opposition on the ropes when the 5th bowler/s are introduced!

I think our 5th and 6th bowlers need to perform more of a holding role than to be actual wicket takers. If they can grab a wicket or two, that should be seen as a bonus. Ideally, they should be able to come on and go for 4 to 5 an over and stop up an end (much like someone like Nathan McCullum does for NZ). Then with the pressure exerted through their tight bowling, the strikers can come back and take the wickets.

EDIT: Although I see from a runs per over perspective, they haven't even performed a holding role in this game, rendering your point very valid. Still, Duminy is much better than any of the three used in this game.
 
Well, this is exactly the point isn't it??

If our 5th bowler/s cannot do the job against Ireland, what chance against India, SL, OZ, NZ? We not always going to have opposition on the ropes when the 5th bowler/s are introduced!

And this is the reason we can't bat second :o
 
Well, this is exactly the point isn't it??

If our 5th bowler/s cannot do the job against Ireland, what chance against India, SL, OZ, NZ? We not always going to have opposition on the ropes when the 5th bowler/s are introduced!

Then their role should be a holding job and with minimal expense?
 
How is it that Steyn is going for 6 an over against Ireland?

Faf and Rilee I can understand

Behardien, the less said the better.

Looks like someone told Steyn to let go and enjoy himself...he bowled pretty quick upfront but with a couple of loose balls thrown in. Given how the batting innings have gone, early wickets are way more important than being economical. Teams will let you bowl to them cheaply if you're doing a good job \ the pitch is helping then take you to the cleaners from over 35 onward. Much better to get wickets upfront and throughout even if you're going at 6.
 
Looks like someone told Steyn to let go and enjoy himself...he bowled pretty quick upfront but with a couple of loose balls thrown in. Given how the batting innings have gone, early wickets are way more important than being economical. Teams will let you bowl to them cheaply if you're doing a good job \ the pitch is helping then take you to the cleaners from over 35 onward. Much better to get wickets upfront and throughout even if you're going at 6.

I agree, but a bowler of Steyn's class and lethality should be taking those wickets without conceding that many runs against teams like Ireland.

He should be having fun and taking wickets cheaply - they should be too damned scared to even try going after him
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X