Official ICC 2015 CWC thread

I can't decide whether I'd rather bat second or first. It's always risky setting the score to start with, especially if you're going to be conservative.

In knockout games I rather bat first unless the conditions totally favor batting second. Score board pressure is massive in these games.
 
The team batting first would be happy with a score of around 250!

I reckon SA might battle chasing down a score of anything more than 220-230 against the likes of Boult/Southee/Vettori.

Same applies to NZ!

Batting first a score of 220 would be par. 250+ would be most likely be a winning total!

EDIT: Apparently the expected weather conditions are unlikely to support swing bowling so we unlikely to see a sub 180 total set by whichever team bats first.

As said, don't assume.

Before we made 408 vs WI at the SCG, the highest previous total was 376.
 
another thing, with this ground being so small ( 55m down the ground 65m square of the wicket), setting fields becomes very difficult. To this end, our bowlers need to hit their lines consistently and bowl to their field and plans.

There is nothing worse in a ground as small as this when your bowler is bowling two sides of the wicket. Also, we need to be adaptable and communication amongst the bowlers will be key in terms of lines they need to hit.
 
Re Eden Park and scoring - there's been a 280 that was chased comfortably, a 150 run game that could have gone either way, a 220 that was defended comfortably (I only put stock in the results from the World Cup since anything earlier is unquantifiable - pitch, weather, fielding restrictions may have been significantly different).

So what to make of it? This looks like a high-scoring ground if your bowling is average and a low-scoring ground if your bowling unit is on it from the start...duh.

All in all, this ground won't decide the result...it's the performance by the team on the day.

As said, don't assume.

Before we made 408 vs WI at the SCG, the highest previous total was 376.

India chased 280 against a significantly weaker Zim team and SA hammered a hapless WI side at the SCG.

I think when you have 2 equally matched sides, SA and NZ, the par totals are more applicable and more likely and are generally a better reference, while records are not!!

Obviously it's how the teams perform on the day but setting a target a team must have realistic goals in mind. You don't walk out at Eden Park and pace your innings with a total of 350 in mind when the highest total ever scored there is 340?!!!

With that in mind, 270 is a winning total batting first so if we 40/0 after 15 we on course!! If we 140/3 after 30, we on course!! If we 200/4 at the start of the batting power play, we on course!!
 
India chased 280 against a significantly weaker Zim team and SA hammered a hapless WI side at the SCG.

I think when you have 2 equally matched sides, SA and NZ, the par totals are more applicable and more likely and are generally a better reference, while records are not!!

Obviously it's how the teams perform on the day but setting a target a team must have realistic goals in mind. You don't walk out at Eden Park and pace your innings with a total of 350 in mind when the highest total ever scored there is 340?!!!

With that in mind, 270 is a winning total batting first so if we 40/0 after 15 we on course!! If we 140/3 after 30, we on course!! If we 200/4 at the start of the batting power play, we on course!!

Each game must be played on its own merits, and by extension every delivery.

Going by the method you've stated above, every team would always have scored 240, nothing more, nothing less, because that's all the pitch will allow.

And regarding "SA hammered a hapless WI side at the SCG", neither Aus or SA's bowling was that bad during 438, yet both teams way exceeded any previously said records.

All I'm saying is expect the unexpected. We can't go into the game expecting to chase less than 300. We just can't. It will be fatal.
 
I will probably be up at about 5am. Too many people causing kark at work.

As for scores, I think a winning score is 260 on that ground. Going to be relatively low scoring.

My big worry on the day is going to be Duminy. I don't want to see Guptil and McCullem getting stuck into him.
 
my honest feeling is this will be another sub 200 game.

my logic is both the teams are hungry for a win. the bowlers know this is the ground where they prove they are better than the batsmen. this will be another game like Aus V NZ hot contest swinging from team to team.

I love the proteas, but I fear batting second we will be bowled out with the score in reach and very few balls remaining.
I see this being a NZ by 1 wicket or 1 run kind of game.
that is what I put in to superbru.
and I would be so very happy to be wrong, I really would.
 
my honest feeling is this will be another sub 200 game.

my logic is both the teams are hungry for a win. the bowlers know this is the ground where they prove they are better than the batsmen. this will be another game like Aus V NZ hot contest swinging from team to team.

I love the proteas, but I fear batting second we will be bowled out with the score in reach and very few balls remaining.
I see this being a NZ by 1 wicket or 1 run kind of game.
that is what I put in to superbru.
and I would be so very happy to be wrong, I really would.

Exactly like the game we lost vs England in 2011. That was depressing.

I REALLY hope you're wrong...
 
I will probably be up at about 5am. Too many people causing kark at work.

As for scores, I think a winning score is 260 on that ground. Going to be relatively low scoring.

My big worry on the day is going to be Duminy. I don't want to see Guptil and McCullem getting stuck into him.

Guptil first needs to get to duminy, averages 11.50 vs SA. Dale will knock him over long before jp comes to bowl.
 
I will probably be up at about 5am. Too many people causing kark at work.

As for scores, I think a winning score is 260 on that ground. Going to be relatively low scoring.

My big worry on the day is going to be Duminy. I don't want to see Guptil and McCullem getting stuck into him.

His average against us: 10.45.....11 innings 115 runs...- I am sure we will keep him well within the average
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X