Official Man United Supporters' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If SAF doesn't buy a playmaker (cough Sneijder cough) in January I am going to seriously doubt what's going on in his head.

United will not sign Sneijder, that ship has sailed. I would prefer we sign two box to box midfielders. Our midfield has gone soft, we need hard men in there.
 
If SAF doesn't buy a playmaker (cough Sneijder cough) in January I am going to seriously doubt what's going on in his head.

Cleverley is good and all but his injuries are a great cause for concern (next Hargreaves?) I mean he hasn't even played in a CL match yet.

Unfortunately, Sneijder won't be able to play in the Champions league for us. We definitely need someone solid in the middle of the park though.

United will not sign Sneijder, that ship has sailed. I would prefer we sign two box to box midfielders. Our midfield has gone soft, we need hard men in there.

Its essential to get someone who is a creative attacking midfielder, so that they can spark the team when we get stuck. If we get just one decent midfielder, then with the youngsters coming through from the youth side we should be fine. Also Cleverly will hopefully be over his injury run soon
 
United will not sign Sneijder, that ship has sailed. I would prefer we sign two box to box midfielders. Our midfield has gone soft, we need hard men in there.

I agree that we need a hard man in the midfield, but we have Jones and Fletcher who can semi fill that role long before we have anyone who can fill in as a creative playmaker. I'd take a creative midfield way before a hard nosed one.

Unfortunately, Sneijder won't be able to play in the Champions league for us. We definitely need someone solid in the middle of the park though.

Its essential to get someone who is a creative attacking midfielder, so that they can spark the team when we get stuck. If we get just one decent midfielder, then with the youngsters coming through from the youth side we should be fine. Also Cleverly will hopefully be over his injury run soon

True, but with they way we're playing we'll be dumped outta the Champions League in the first knockout stage. Sneijder will give us a much needed boost in the EPL atleast. Cleverley is good, but the guy had what, 5 good games before he got injured? What if he just had a lucky streak? He's quality, but let's not jump the gun.
 
Its essential to get someone who is a creative attacking midfielder, so that they can spark the team when we get stuck. If we get just one decent midfielder, then with the youngsters coming through from the youth side we should be fine. Also Cleverly will hopefully be over his injury run soon

I agree with you but only to a certain extent, United have always played on the wings rather than through the center. United were spoilt by Scholes but almost every other United midfielder can be considered holding/defensive (box to box). Most creative players need to play in front of two holding midfielders (to give them the freedom they require), I stand corrected but i think even Wesley played in front of two at Milan. We can't afford that luxury, and I don't want to see one striker up front alone.

United are best when we play counter attacking football, that 2008/2009 season provided enough evidence for that.
It's very obvious (only to us supporters apparently) we have a weak central midfield. Lets hope we get some business done in January, or it's time Pogba and Morrison get more games.
 
I agree that we need a hard man in the midfield, but we have Jones and Fletcher who can semi fill that role long before we have anyone who can fill in as a creative playmaker. I'd take a creative midfield way before a hard nosed one.

I am a firm believer in asking a player where he wants to play and play him there. I think everyone has their opinions on where Jones should play, only time will tell, personally I don't think he has the skill, composure or vision to play in midfield.

As for Fletcher, i was never a fan and nor will i be, too much of a bits and pieces player. SAF has played him in attacking role and defensive, with the latter suiting him more. He should be a sub, that's all.
 
I agree with you but only to a certain extent, United have always played on the wings rather than through the center.

Some of our best football in recent times came from having inverted wingers who would cut into the centre, and when the front three would be free-form, a la Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney. We didn't play with out and out wingers at that time. The rest of the time, I grant you, we use wing play primarily, but we should be able to switch plans and adapt to teams.
 
Some of our best football in recent times came from having inverted wingers who would cut into the centre, and when the front three would be free-form, a la Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney. We didn't play with out and out wingers at that time. The rest of the time, I grant you, we use wing play primarily, but we should be able to switch plans and adapt to teams.

My thoughts exactly. We don't want to become one dimensional. It's nice to be able to adapt your style of play depending on the team you're playing against.

We've got 2 class wingers in Young and Nani, just need to bulk up the midfield.
 
Some of our best football in recent times came from having inverted wingers who would cut into the centre, and when the front three would be free-form, a la Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney. We didn't play with out and out wingers at that time. The rest of the time, I grant you, we use wing play primarily, but we should be able to switch plans and adapt to teams.

Exactly, we need a midfielder in the mould of Keane, Viera, Gattuso or to hammer the point, Robbie Savage
 
True, but with they way we're playing we'll be dumped outta the Champions League in the first knockout stage. Sneijder will give us a much needed boost in the EPL atleast. Cleverley is good, but the guy had what, 5 good games before he got injured? What if he just had a lucky streak? He's quality, but let's not jump the gun.

Its true that Cleverly might have just had a lucky streak but from what I have also seen of him before this season, he looks good. Think SAF has his eye on Pogba, Morrison etc. who are coming through and is worried if we buy players to fill those voids, then we may lose out of talents like we have done with so many other players.

I agree with you but only to a certain extent, United have always played on the wings rather than through the center. United were spoilt by Scholes but almost every other United midfielder can be considered holding/defensive (box to box). Most creative players need to play in front of two holding midfielders (to give them the freedom they require), I stand corrected but i think even Wesley played in front of two at Milan. We can't afford that luxury, and I don't want to see one striker up front alone.

United are best when we play counter attacking football, that 2008/2009 season provided enough evidence for that.
It's very obvious (only to us supporters apparently) we have a weak central midfield. Lets hope we get some business done in January, or it's time Pogba and Morrison get more games.

I would like us to diversify more, especially since our holding tactics haven't worked against Barcelona, who realistically must be our benchmark to overtake. If we play 2 in the middle, with one attacking and holding, for me that is the best combination. I think SAF tried it with Cleverly and Anderson but it became a little too open and that could be attributed to inexperience.

Amped for today's game, lets hope we can beat Benfica with relative comfort. Rooney also needs to score just to boost his morale.
 
The thing that makes Cleverly fit our system so well is that he makes simple short passes and keeps moving, making himself available.
He also has a really good understanding with Anderson.
Rooney benefits from this because when he is in his deeper position, he picks the ball up and has runners either side of him, so he too can pick a pass and get into scoring positions.

Cleverly hardly made the final pass. But was always heavily involved in the build up play.

The ball moves faster than any player, these short pass and moves were great to watch.
Whether Cleverly was on a lucky streak or not, I can't tell, its much too soon. But I do think he fits the system.

However this system also left the team wide open, but that made the games exciting. With a fully fit defense I see it working against most of the premiership sides.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
 
If United can actually get the business done against Basel they will most likely finish second and risk facing one of the big guns very early in the competition.

That's if they don't mess up and end up playing Thursday nights!

SIGH...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
 
Well we're top of the group tied with Benfica on points, but we have 1 better gd.

Benfica will probably beat Otelul easily so we have to beat Basel by a good few goals, at Basel's home ground.

On a more positive note, City losing to Napoli means they HAVE to beat Bayern Munich (while Napoli have to lose to Villareal) if they are to progress. So it's leaning towards City not making it past the group stages :)
 
Well we're top of the group tied with Benfica on points, but we have 1 better gd.

Benfica will probably beat Otelul easily so we have to beat Basel by a good few goals, at Basel's home ground.

On a more positive note, City losing to Napoli means they HAVE to beat Bayern Munich (while Napoli have to lose to Villareal) if they are to progress. So it's leaning towards City not making it past the group stages :)

Goal difference is not the first choice of tie breaker in UCL, it's head to head record then goal difference.

Benfica have the better head to head based on away goals.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
 
Indeed, completely forgot about that. Thanks Phil Jones :/

Oh well if Otelul somehow manage to beat Benfica then we should be good for first, but that won't happen... Our chances of beating Basel are slim as well, as we needed a 90th minute goal to draw with them at Old Trafford.

Not a good spot to be in. I'm sure SAF will work his magic and get us the result at Basel, but sadly that probably won't be enough.
 
On a more positive note, City losing to Napoli means they HAVE to beat Bayern Munich (while Napoli have to lose to Villareal) if they are to progress. So it's leaning towards City not making it past the group stages :)
Meaning they are out of the CL but still play on weekdays - hopefully lowering their moral and still leaving them tired for wkend EPL fixtures...:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X