Official Samsung Galaxy Note (N7000) Thread

oronte

Expert Member
Well now that the Note is officially available in SA (in the same week that it was globally available in Europe:) it's time for the Galaxy Note thread. Specs:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note-4135.php

Information on contracts and stores here:
http://www.samsung.com/africa_en/microsite/galaxynote/

The Note was in stock on the pre-order stores listed in the 'Debut Sales' tab on Saturday (5 November), the Note should be available from mid-November everywhere. Bear in mind the free TV offer was only for 5 November and is now over.

I got mine for R399 from MTN on Anytime 200 Top Up and it came with a free Samsung Book Case (the black pleather version) and 300mb for 6 months. Only the 16gb black version is currently available (no micro-sd included on the MTN stock). Also no branding of any kind (not so much as a start-up operator logo) on MTN.

K

kingrob

And....you happy with it?

Will it actually fit in a jeans pocket?

oronte

Expert Member
It does. Even with the leather case. I have no problems sitting down or moving, its slimness cancels out the larger size. I'm loving it. Finally, finally I've found something that approaches my Blackberry Bold 9000 for comfortable typing. The combination of the high resolution and large screen is perfect and incredibly sharp.

K

kingrob

It does. Even with the leather case. I have no problems sitting down or moving, its slimness cancels out the larger size. I'm loving it. Finally, finally I've found something that approaches my Blackberry Bold 9000 for comfortable typing. The combination of the high resolution and large screen is perfect and incredibly sharp.
Very happy for you!!

I know I would also like this phone, cos I used the stylus on my SonyEricsson P990i non-stop. In fact, I used it all the time. Went through three styluses when I had the P990i. :)

Love to write on a screen.

rahil

How are the heat levels when using the phone? the SII does heat up quite a bit.

game@holic

I saw the device in displayed in stores (dummy device). I was actually contemplating getting one of these even though I have a galaxy S2.

The device is quite big but I really dont mind the screen space.

But the device is too similar to the S2 (Which I already have) for me to even consider purchasing it. But who knows, maybe if I see the live display of this device, I may change my mind and buy it on impulse.

But I think it makes more sence in my situation to go for a tablet If i want anther device. No use having 2 similar devices and end up neglecting one.

Rob123

Nice to see it is available so soon!

Anyone seen any other prices/deals yet? On Vodacom perhaps?

iDOL

Expert Member
Work colleague just collected his unit from the morningside office - I am still a bit peeved that I missed out on the launch special this weekend.

I would've definitely grabbed it then.

I really like the overall size of the device - nice pocketable for an avid reader such as myself, definitely easier to cart around then a 7"/10" tablet.

I like.

oronte

Expert Member
The other deals (that were on the Samsung site, but were removed):
Vodacom - R379 on Business Call (with 100mb for 12 months, I think).
Cell C - R379 on Business Chat Standard (with 500mb for 24 months).
Clearly MTN have the best offer here, and if you take it on Top Up then you can apparently buy data bundles with the airtime (that's what the agent told me, I'm skeptical, but will confirm later this month if it is now possible since it wasn't when I was last with MTN).

SukkaFoo

Expert Member
Went to an MTN store here in PE on Tuesday and they told me SA would only be getting it in January. WTF, these clerks are effing retarded. Gonna have to go back and tell him to order one for me. As an aside, I am due for upgrade in jan, anyone know how I can swing it to get it earlier than that?

cheese_za

Went to an MTN store here in PE on Tuesday and they told me SA would only be getting it in January. WTF, these clerks are effing retarded. Gonna have to go back and tell him to order one for me. As an aside, I am due for upgrade in jan, anyone know how I can swing it to get it earlier than that?
I got the same reply from the MTN(getmobile) dealer in my area. Could be that MTN SP gets it first, then the getmobile dealers and so on later on.

Very frustrating, as I am ready to upgrade and my current phone has started giving me hassles.

oronte

Expert Member
Has anyone found a decent screen protector for the Note yet? Almost all those reviewed on Amazon seem to not fit and I haven't seen anyone discuss the stylus, obviously the screen protector should not decrease the sensitivity of the stylus.

Last edited:

Centronix

Expert Member
Well now that the Note is officially available in SA (in the same week that it was globally available in Europe:) it's time for the Galaxy Note thread. Specs:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note-4135.php

Information on contracts and stores here:
http://www.samsung.com/africa_en/microsite/galaxynote/

The Note was in stock on the pre-order stores listed in the 'Debut Sales' tab on Saturday (5 November), the Note should be available from mid-November everywhere. Bear in mind the free TV offer was only for 5 November and is now over.

I got mine for R399 from MTN on Anytime 200 Top Up and it came with a free Samsung Book Case (the black pleather version) and 300mb for 6 months. Only the 16gb black version is currently available (no micro-sd included on the MTN stock). Also no branding of any kind (not so much as a start-up operator logo) on MTN.
None of the MTN shops I've called have it and I've called about 10 around Jhb (Fourways, Eastgate, Sandton etc)

Centronix

Expert Member
Joburg shops told me they MIGHT be getting stock this week when I called them last week

oronte

Expert Member
Joburg shops told me they MIGHT be getting stock this week when I called them last week
Only the stores that participated in the pre-order had stock. In Gauteng: MTN in Morningside (the service centre), Vodaworld in Midrand, and Cell C in Menlyn. Although this weekend I saw Notes in the windows at MTN in Cresta and Fourways (don't know if they actually had stock). The other stores who participated in the deal were MTN service centres in CPT and one near Gateway in DBN.

cheese_za

I am still unable to get this phone in my area.

2 days ago MTN in Canal Walk confirmed having stock.

MTN replied to me as follows on FB:

We're working towards having the Samsung Galaxy Note in stores by mid-December. Where about are you located? Keep checking in with me and I will try t find your nearest store with stock once it is available.:mad:

Why is it so hard for them to just move stock from the 1 store to another?

It is not like I am a fly-by-night customer. Been with them since 1995 I think. We have 6 lines with them which costs us around R8k per month.

oronte

Expert Member
I was just wondering how to update my phone to XXKK9 (which apparently has better battery life and performance according to this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1360093) when I decided to try Kies and what do you know - it's actually available!
After waiting forever for official upgrades on my Galaxy S I ended up having to go the unofficial route, I'm thrilled that Samsung are just pushing out these updates for the Note so quickly. I'll report on performance in a few days.

cynide

Im getting mine this week:) Only place i can find the Note in Durban is at Umhlanga MTN branch. Altho they do stock it, they are out of stock at the moment so im waiting for them to come in. Spent saturday playing on my gf's SII and galaxy tab 10.1, then went and used the Note at samsung in Gateway. It seems the perfect balance between the 2, and shes actually jealous that she doesnt have an S-pen for her Tab. I hope MTN is still giving away the leather covers with it.

Has anyone had any problem with the Note chowing data, i know the SII has had a problem with that for some people.