Official Super Rugby 2014 Thread

Pleasant entertainment, first half. Why does it take half a season to produce enjoyable rugby.

Even though the Stormers are keeping the ball possession, there is still horrid play, why Schalk started with a kicking game... Let us take the victory... ... ...
 
Can someone please explain to me why refs sometimes use the word "cynical" to describe an offense?

English isn't my first language, although I think I have a good grasp of it. But that word ... I don't understand.

I know Afrikaans very well and the translation of that word is "sinies", but I wouldn't in a million years choose that word do describe an offense in the game of rugby.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone please explain to me why refs sometimes use the word "cynical" to describe an offense?

English isn't my first language, although I think I have a good grasp of it. But that word ...

Deliberate foul to prevent the opposition from scoring...
 
Deliberate foul to prevent the opposition from scoring...

Yes I know the technical meaning of the word in rugby ... But the dictionary meaning of the word "cynical" correlates in no real appreciable way with the offense in rugby. This is what I have a problem with.
 
Can someone please explain to me why refs sometimes use the word "cynical" to describe an offense?

English isn't my first language, although I think I have a good grasp of it. But that word ... I don't understand.

I know Afrikaans very well and the translation of that word is "sinies", but I wouldn't in a million years choose that word do describe an offense in the game of rugby.

This is the applicable definition:

"Concerned only with one's own interests and typically disregarding accepted standards in order to achieve them."
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X