Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

You actually went to the trouble to translate my username? :eek: I know Google translate is incorrect with it, hence me not choosing an automated translation when I earned my nick... ;)

Yeah and it said nordic... :confused:

I thought it was german. ;) That is why I went to check the translation.
 
http://www.pcworld.com/article/208175/more_android_30_gingerbread_details_revealed.html?tk=hp_new

More Android 3.0 'Gingerbread' Details Revealed
By Brennon Slattery, PCWorldOct 19, 2010 4:55 pm
Mere months after the launch of Android 2.2, discussions about the impending release of Android 3.0, or "Gingerbread," are gushing. Android 3.0 is rumored to be released sometime in the next few weeks, and will be a significant overhaul of Google's market-dominating smartphone OS -- and may be the first truly tablet-ready iteration of Android.

What to Expect

Phandroid broke the news about Android 3.0 (replete with the lamest, blurriest "leaked" photo I've ever seen). Here's what they say will be included:

Built-in video chat support: The iPhone 4's FaceTime video chat made a splash -- and Google looks to be right on Apple's heels. In an interview, Andy Rubin, Google's vice president of engineering, said Google is working on integrating video chat into its new OS.
Death of third-party "bloatware": HTC's Android-powered smartphones have thus far combined HTC's own Sense UI with Android's UI. Apparently this convergence of UI elements will cease with Android 3.0, eliminating Sense, Motorola's Motorblur, and others -- but whether these companies will willingly relinquish their OS creations is contentious.
Possible mixture of webOS: The lead designer of Palm's webOS joined Google's ranks this year, which may mean Android 3.0 will integrate bits of Palm's gorgeous interface. In addition, Android 3.0 promises a "simpler and cleaner" look for Android, especially with its apps, and the most noticeable change is the notification bar, which will go from bright white to a "warmer slate gray color." The aesthetic overhaul will also subtly integrate the Android brand's recognizable green milieu into the palate.
Integrated Google apps: Your favorite Google apps -- such as Gmail, Calendar, Maps and YouTube -- will reportedly be less of a "tacked-on accessory" and become an extension of the OS. This eliminates reliance on wireless carriers to roll out Google app updates.
Increased speed: Like in Android 2.2, 3.0 will use the new Dalvik JIT compiler to allow for better CPU performance, turning Android smartphones into speed freaks.
Needed: A powerful smartphone: The more features you add, the more powerful the phone will need to be. Android 3.0 won't be a featherweight. According to reports, the OS will require some hefty specs: at least a 1 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, and 3.5-inch display (4-inch displays and larger require resolutions of at least 1280 x 760).


Sounds good so far, but nothing earth-shattering. What do you think should be wrapped up with 3.0?

Will Android 3.0 be Tablet-Ready?

When LG refused to create a tablet using Android 2.2, it should have given other tablet makers pause. If LG won't use it, why should others? By pumping out Android 2.2-powered tablets, which was indirectly deemed inadequate by LG, is everyone else rushing and therefore hobbling their chances of competing with the iPad?

I highly doubt any impending tablet releases will become "iPad-killers" (that term makes my skin crawl -- ugh!), but if Android 3.0 is all it's cracked up to be, and is worthy of becoming a wide-spread and highly functional tablet OS, Google could take a bite out of Apple
 
hey guys, thought i'd post a quick update..

I did a sim swap to a new sim, and my com.android.phone errors have disappeared :)

then today I rooted and lag fixed my galaxy S with RyanZA's one click lag fix (OCLF) available on the android market... was REALLY easy :)

previously i was getting around 875 points on Quadrant, now its rocking out at between 2150 and 2250 points :D

stoked with my phone!!!
 
got my S earlier today. charging since 5pm or so. when can i use it cos the progress bar/charge level has disappeared?
 
I want to root my SGS but I can't go into recovery mode. Unlucky for me I can't fix this at the moment as I have no more international bandwidth left. Just have 7 days more to wait then.
 
Noooo the thread is dying. In an attempt to save it i'll ask a question. Does anyone know of any software that allows you to reject/silence an incomong call by simply turning your phone over??
 
Recovery mode problem: I am unable to enter the recovery mode and have tried every method on the internet available. I have now read that there are some phones that have a secondary bootloader fault and here is the only way to repair it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=785201
Has anyone had any success with the above method? I am desperate to root my phone!! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
 
Recovery mode problem: I am unable to enter the recovery mode and have tried every method on the internet available. I have now read that there are some phones that have a secondary bootloader fault and here is the only way to repair it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=785201
Has anyone had any success with the above method? I am desperate to root my phone!! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I used this and it worked 100%. There was a whole thread dedicated to this a couple of weeks / months ago. Just search a bit... To root your phone OR apply the 3BP fix you need to download the Android SDK and run a utility called ADB (Android Debugging Bridge) to reboot your phone into recovery mode. This only works if your phone is on and connected to your computer via USB (with debugging enabled).
 
Last edited:
Thanks that is good news. I have the android sdk, so will try that.
 
Cell Info/Broadcast

Hi,

Is it possible to get Cell Info/Broadcast to display on this phone?

The Android Apps that I found only display the Cell ID.

W.
 
hi all. whats the quickest way for me to get my contacts onto my S from a Nokia N95. I have all my contacts on my phone and not on the sim. i am installing Kies at the moment to try that option.
 
^Do you have the Nokia PC Suite? You should be able to synch your N95 with Outlook (via the Nokia PC Suite) and then synch the SGS with Outlook (via Kies).
 
^Do you have the Nokia PC Suite? You should be able to synch your N95 with Outlook (via the Nokia PC Suite) and then synch the SGS with Outlook (via Kies).

This is the quickest way, but in my case, I have contacts on my outlook that I don't want on my phone.

KSINGH, can't you send your contacts via bluetooth from the nokia?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X