Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

I did the one click lag fix thingy of RyanZA, but I don't notice any difference. Also "rooted" my phone. Didn't really want/needed to... :o
 
I am trying to locate a good screen protector and cover for this phone. Any suggestion where to get hold of them?
 
I'm not aware of too many shells available for the phone, but you can download some SSH apps for Android.

The lag fixes for the SGS manipulate the file system on the SGS, seeing as Samsung found it wise to use RFS, which is kinda slow. Some lag fixes add EXT2 or EXT4 partitions to the phone, while z4mod (apparently) completely replaces RFS with EXT2.

I'd recommend starting off the RyanZA's One-Click-Lag-Fix (OCLF). It's easy to install and undo, if necessary. I've noticed quite some improvement in opening apps and less lag when scrolling through the home screens or opening the app drawer. It does tend to become slow again after a week or 2, but after a reboot mine is usually good to go again.


Thanx for that, i will try to follow the instructions on how to install it, i think i have seen somewhere on this thread. So far i seem satisfied with how my phone is performing, although, i should say i get some lags here and there, i thought may be these lags are caused by applications i installed. So i tried uninstalling some of the applications and the phone started responding again, but i can say it has slowed down since i started installing apps.
Since you guys seems to have experience, i did install ROM manager, how easy is it using it to upgrade to Froyo? Since people are saying froyo is 10x faster than Eclair, i think i want to try it. Any suggestions?

Thanx!
 
Guys has anyone been able to use marketenabler for south africa? i'm not sure if my problem is with the way i installed it. i just downloaded it and installed using appinstaller, but when i open it it looks different from the one screen shots im seeing on the forums. basically i don't see the part where i need to enable for the paid apps.

Help Please!
 
Still no official 2.2 download via KIES I guess.......damn I'm itching for that!!! Has anyone seen if their phone has told them if Froyo is available?!?!?!!
One more question.....how future proof do you guys think the Galaxy S is, in terms of keeping up with Android's development (gingerbread, ice cream etc)
 
I did the one click lag fix thingy of RyanZA, but I don't notice any difference. Also "rooted" my phone. Didn't really want/needed to... :o

You need to root your phone if you want to buy apps from the Market.

...and you WANT to buy apps from the market. I've bought Fruit Ninja, Mini Squadron, Guns 'n Glory and Widget Locker so far. All very worthwhile purchases!
 
You need to root your phone if you want to buy apps from the Market.

...and you WANT to buy apps from the market. I've bought Fruit Ninja, Mini Squadron, Guns 'n Glory and Widget Locker so far. All very worthwhile purchases!

@FarligOpptreden, I think we need to reestablish a better FAQ other than the "A bunch of Android info for you guys". Stuff like Metamorphs and Market Access should be added.
 
Last edited:
Agreed! We really do need a decent Android FAQ. I think you're probably as able as anyone on here to start it. If we get it going, we can see about getting it stickied.
 
The UK is releasing FroYo early next week. SA can't be too far around the corner.
Since I updated to FroYo using the registry hack...will I still be able to get the South African update??
 
The UK is releasing FroYo early next week. SA can't be too far around the corner.
Since I updated to FroYo using the registry hack...will I still be able to get the South African update??

What if you "undo" the registry hack?
 
Well at least that gives a better general picture. Been contemplating rooting mine but have just got the phone so don't want to do anything risky
 
Guys has anyone been able to use marketenabler for south africa? i'm not sure if my problem is with the way i installed it. i just downloaded it and installed using appinstaller, but when i open it it looks different from the one screen shots im seeing on the forums. basically i don't see the part where i need to enable for the paid apps.

Help Please!

Try searching for Market Access, not Market Enabler. Market Access has preceded Market Enabler, with the developer opting for a complete rewrite, rather than updates and bug fixes - hence the new name. ;)
 
DangerousBehaviour, are you running a custom ROM? I am thinking of trying one out.

BTW, another reason why this phone is better than the Iphone, if you are bored with it, change it... :)
 
DangerousBehaviour, are you running a custom ROM? I am thinking of trying one out.

BTW, another reason why this phone is better than the Iphone, if you are bored with it, change it... :)

Hey, no improper English translations of my Nordic-earned nick please... ;)

No, I'm not running a custom ROM (yet). I'm rooted and running the 3BP fix and OCLF 2.0. That's pretty much all for now. Oh, and WidgetLocker lock screen (a MUST for all Android phones!!!) and ADW Launcher. Grew tired of Launcher Pro and wanted something a bit different. Already growing tired of ADW as well. Tried Zeam, but its not as feature rich as I'd like it to be, but that's not the aim of it I suppose. :p
 
Hey, I just tried to syncronize my calender with Outlook. There were meetings that was cancelled, and it was not removed. Instead it showed the original meeting and another meeting that says cancelled. Is there anyway to just let the sync remove the cancelled meeting?
 
Last edited:
Hey, I just tried to syncronize my calender with Outlook. There were meetings that was cancelled, and it was not removed. Instead it showed the original meeting and another meeting that says cancelled. Is there anyway to just let the sync remove the cancelled meeting?

Googd question. With Windows Mobile you get Active Sync so you can manually sync when you need to (update back to Exchange) but with this you just seem to hope and pray that everything syncs. Why can't I choose when to sync (like not during the night)? This feature has been around for ages, so it seems weird that Android can't work it out. Unless it's hidden somewhere of course.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X