Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

Don't know if you tried it, but might be worth a shot if nothing else worked but looks like the "hair dryer" method worked for some people. Don't know if you in JHB or the South - Coast now, but if you are on the coast, I can quickly look tomorrow if i am able to find the resistors and will then make a Jig just to test if that may work, there might be a finger or 2 attached to the jig as my soldering skills is nothing to write home about. But then you at least know you tried that and not wonder if it might work.

I usually have to use the overheat method to get into download and recovery and I tried that, also just tried the hairdryer as you suggested but neither Odin nor Windows thinks anything is connected. I'm in Johannesburg, but thanks for the offer. If Vodacom fails then I'll have to take you up on that, but from what I've read the jig cable doesn't help if your phone is completely black and The Philosopher's experience would seem to support that. So my next question is have I voided my warranty and is there any story I can tell Vodacare that would result in them fixing it? I'm thinking of saying I tried to use Kies to do the update but the power went out?
Also anyone know of any authorised Samsung dealer in Johannesburg who will fix my phone, Samtech in CT seems a bit far.
 
I'm thinking of saying I tried to use Kies to do the update but the power went out?.

Well I had Kies crash during an update and brick my phone, so I'm sure it' pretty normal for phones to get bricked with it. I had the 3-button recovery working though.
So if you don't have a 3-button recovery and your phone is bricked, blame Kies.
 
So, anyone here rocking CM7 (based on 2.3) on their SGS yet? A friend of mine just flashed it on his and it's looking pretty sweet. Apparently there are some minor problems still with it, but he seemed keen to try it anyway. Looks very fast from what I've seen from it so far! I'm still a bit hesitant to flash it, due to stability issues. I'll give it another 2 weeks or so... On the other hand, I'll just wait for a stable MIUI release for the SGS and flash that! :D
 
So, anyone here rocking CM7 (based on 2.3) on their SGS yet? A friend of mine just flashed it on his and it's looking pretty sweet. Apparently there are some minor problems still with it, but he seemed keen to try it anyway. Looks very fast from what I've seen from it so far! I'm still a bit hesitant to flash it, due to stability issues. I'll give it another 2 weeks or so... On the other hand, I'll just wait for a stable MIUI release for the SGS and flash that! :D

Do you maybe have a link to it? Is it the beta one one XDA?
 
I usually have to use the overheat method to get into download and recovery and I tried that, also just tried the hairdryer as you suggested but neither Odin nor Windows thinks anything is connected. I'm in Johannesburg, but thanks for the offer. If Vodacom fails then I'll have to take you up on that, but from what I've read the jig cable doesn't help if your phone is completely black and The Philosopher's experience would seem to support that. So my next question is have I voided my warranty and is there any story I can tell Vodacare that would result in them fixing it? I'm thinking of saying I tried to use Kies to do the update but the power went out?
Also anyone know of any authorised Samsung dealer in Johannesburg who will fix my phone, Samtech in CT seems a bit far.

Well I had Kies crash during an update and brick my phone, so I'm sure it' pretty normal for phones to get bricked with it. I had the 3-button recovery working though.
So if you don't have a 3-button recovery and your phone is bricked, blame Kies.

Its worth a try. have you looked here http://www.samsung.com/za/support/location/supportServiceLocation.do?page=SERVICE.LOCATION for any of the service locations?

Also why I suggested just to try a JIG is because here http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/samsung-galaxy-s-how-to/serious-problem-phone-not-turning-on/ posters phone also did not respond to anything and managed with some luck to get into Download mode after some time, even though it was without the download jig. But try a samsung repair center and hopefully they will sort it out for you under warranty.
 
Its worth a try. have you looked here http://www.samsung.com/za/support/location/supportServiceLocation.do?page=SERVICE.LOCATION for any of the service locations?

Also why I suggested just to try a JIG is because here http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/samsung-galaxy-s-how-to/serious-problem-phone-not-turning-on/ posters phone also did not respond to anything and managed with some luck to get into Download mode after some time, even though it was without the download jig. But try a samsung repair center and hopefully they will sort it out for you under warranty.

Thanks for the links. I'll try the poster's method of holding down the keys for five minutes and see if I have any luck. Or else this weekend I'll visit Vodacare.
 
Yup - there's only one available on the net and all links point to the same package. It's surprisingly "complete" for a beta...

I might give it a look, but I don't want to be a first adopter on myBB. I feel more comfortable if someone did it before me.
 
I might give it a look, but I don't want to be a first adopter on myBB. I feel more comfortable if someone did it before me.

Hahaha! Half the fun of trying it out IS being an early/first adopter! Seeing as the flash went smooth on his SGS, I might do the same soon. Just need some time this week...
 
Hahaha! Half the fun of trying it out IS being an early/first adopter! Seeing as the flash went smooth on his SGS, I might do the same soon. Just need some time this week...

Ive just overcome my flashing addiction.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
How you managed that? Sorry taking so long. with the kernel file.

I stick only with one custom rom and only update when the latest is available. Btw I love darky's

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Clickme.. Why do you know so much of this sgs stuff

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Clickme.. Why do you know so much of this sgs stuff

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

Honest answer.... I know about as much about it as most of this countries peoples does about flying a 747. Which put me in the class that knows just enough to be extremely dangerous. But read as much as possible on xda and other forums. And like to play around with stuff, so normally read as much as possible, about anything I want to buy or own. And you quickly learn a heck of a lot when breaking your expensive toys and trying to fix it (or when you younger and breaking your parents expensive toy's and having to fix it before they get home in the evening)
 
Honest answer.... I know about as much about it as most of this countries peoples does about flying a 747. Which put me in the class that knows just enough to be extremely dangerous. But read as much as possible on xda and other forums. And like to play around with stuff, so normally read as much as possible, about anything I want to buy or own. And you quickly learn a heck of a lot when breaking your expensive toys and trying to fix it (or when you younger and breaking your parents expensive toy's and having to fix it before they get home in the evening)

Haha thats the best answer for that question

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Haha thats the best answer for that question

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

LOL anyway I see what happens with the kernel. You say your home button not working? You don't perhaps by any chance have the android sdk installed? Why I ask cause after you flash with odin it boots into 3e system recovery right? From there I am able to with adb run "ADB Reboot" and then the phone restarts and continue booting. Just a temporary suggestion. But will continue to try
 
LOL anyway I see what happens with the kernel. You say your home button not working? You don't perhaps by any chance have the android sdk installed? Why I ask cause after you flash with odin it boots into 3e system recovery right? From there I am able to with adb run "ADB Reboot" and then the phone restarts and continue booting. Just a temporary suggestion. But will continue to try

where can I download adb?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X