Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

For the RomKitchen okes: JS7 base is now available.

Which modem is recommended for South Africa?

I've been using JPY since I've been using the kitchen, but think that it may be affecting my battery life and GPS accuracy. No JPU which was my stock rom.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
@KSingh

If you're having trouble with the update do yourself a favour and go to the Vodaworld in Midrand. Went there one day after work, took about 20-30 mins, much less frustration than having to deal with kies.
 
Hi Guys

I have a Samsung Galaxy S (I9000) for sale: R4800. Bought 27 Jan 2011. Includes Case and screen protector.
Excellent condition.
 
For the RomKitchen okes: JS7 base is now available.

Which modem is recommended for South Africa?

I've been using JPY since I've been using the kitchen, but think that it may be affecting my battery life and GPS accuracy. No JPU which was my stock rom.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

Flip, I just flashed Darky's 9.3 which is JS5 :/
lol
 
I just love my Galaxy S, EVER since im on a rom my phone has gone from great to absolutely AWESOME.
 
I installed Darky's v9.3 yesterday. I'm addicted to upgrading this custom ROM now. I'm looking forward to the Gingerbread version. I must admit though my Wi-Fi has become a little more unstable but then that is only a nights worth of testing. Will see how it goes. My An3DBench is giving a 6957 score. That is up from my original Stock Android 2.1 which scored low 6000 if I remember correctly.
 
For the RomKitchen okes: JS7 base is now available.

Which modem is recommended for South Africa?

I've been using JPY since I've been using the kitchen, but think that it may be affecting my battery life and GPS accuracy. No JPU which was my stock rom.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

I've been using JPY since I've been using the kitchen, but think that it may be affecting my battery life and GPS accuracy. No JPU which was my stock rom.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

Hi S&B, JPY modem was a huge battery drainer for me in ZA. I have been using JPM on top of SpeedMod since January, and it does a lot better (and I see you there on XDA, and you have not reported back on your test, so expect modem firmware is to blame). I am not sure that GPS does all that well, but I stick to the old Nokia for that anyway.

I am not sure if JPM is available in the kitchen, but I expect you could flash over it afterwards. There is a thread on XDA somewhere which has all the modem firmware flashable through clockwork.

Hope this helps.

Phaedrus

<edit>

Have not been using my phone much over the last few days, but wireless is generally always on with push gmail only (see HardeCore's sig for the JPA wireless drivers), HSDPA (once again see HardeCore's sig) and Packet data is always off, unless I need it, which is seldom as I am generally on wireless.

-> last unplugged 19 hours, 15 Minutes. JuicePlotter says 70 Hours left on battery.

Generally the screen is the big drainer, but the JPY modem was a bastard in that respect, and you have to watch out for the '50% Cell Standby' issue. I always go into airplane mode after rebooting the phone, that fixes that one on the JPM modem.
 
Last edited:
I installed Darky's v9.3 yesterday. I'm addicted to upgrading this custom ROM now. I'm looking forward to the Gingerbread version. I must admit though my Wi-Fi has become a little more unstable but then that is only a nights worth of testing. Will see how it goes. My An3DBench is giving a 6957 score. That is up from my original Stock Android 2.1 which scored low 6000 if I remember correctly.

did you perform a wipe? a wipe and install thereafter usually resolves most problems. im using 9.3 and no problems, wifi works great! also JS5 firmware rocks....super quick performance and also noticed a slightly improved battery life as compared to 9.2.
 
Last edited:
For the RomKitchen okes: JS7 base is now available.

Which modem is recommended for South Africa?

I've been using JPY since I've been using the kitchen, but think that it may be affecting my battery life and GPS accuracy. No JPU which was my stock rom.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

Try modem ZSJPE...works well for me....
 
did you perform a wipe? a wipe and install thereafter usually resolves most problems. im using 9.3 and no problems, wifi works great! also JS5 firmware rocks....super quick performance and also noticed a slightly improved battery life as compared to 9.2.

Yes I did a wipe. Wi-Fi performing about the same by looks of things. I did the install without a fully charged battery so need to clear the battery stats at some point because the it seems to be draining faster than it did.
 
Yes I did a wipe. Wi-Fi performing about the same by looks of things. I did the install without a fully charged battery so need to clear the battery stats at some point because the it seems to be draining faster than it did.

Okay that's probably the cause. I always install with full battery. Phone lasts about 2 days with constant wifi....also what kernel are you using? I'm using speedmod... It helps as well... My battery drained like crazy with voodoo.
 
Okay that's probably the cause. I always install with full battery. Phone lasts about 2 days with constant wifi....also what kernel are you using? I'm using speedmod... It helps as well... My battery drained like crazy with voodoo.

I am actually using Voodoo but only because it is recommended. I use all the recommended setting in Darky's ROM configurator. People have their opinions of which is better but I have found no test or results actually indicating the superiour kernel.
 
Generally the screen is the big drainer, but the JPY modem was a bastard in that respect, and you have to watch out for the '50% Cell Standby' issue. I always go into airplane mode after rebooting the phone, that fixes that one on the JPM modem.

What do you mean by that? '50% Cell Standby' - is that on JPY or JPM?
 
I am actually using Voodoo but only because it is recommended. I use all the recommended setting in Darky's ROM configurator. People have their opinions of which is better but I have found no test or results actually indicating the superiour kernel.

try the speedmod kernel and decide for yourself....made a difference with my battery life....thinking of installing the damianGTO Ultimate kernel and see what the whole fuss is about....i believe this has an overclocking feature to 1200Mhz which obviously cant be very good for battery life...either way its fun flashing and testing all sorts of stuff ;) (thats if you know what you're doing)
 
Last edited:
JPY modem is a piece of cr@p in my opinion ....battery basically drains by the minute and the network coverage was utterly rubbish...

+1 to that.

Though network coverage been ok - just always felt like it or a kernel was draining the moer out of my phone.
Been flashing kernels for the last month - with no real significant improvement, though I have to say that tegrak's was good, but back on Speedmod cos I need CWM.

Is the modem you made mention of in the kitchen?
Nevermind - will check for myself :p :)
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X