Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

Where is the cheapest place to buy a new Galaxy S now? Mine was stolen and I want a new one. I didn't like to R6000+ I was quoted at the Vodacom shop, and with the Galaxy S 2 out the price should drop fast.

I am selling mine for R3000 with tons of extras as I'm due for an upgrade, check in the classifieds section. I am the guy who started this very thread, so you can rest assured its genuine. Happy to flash any firmware or rom you wish as well.
 
Yes thanks nu11. I see it was under news/ announcements thread and not stable releases that's why I missed it. Will give it a week or two before I install it to be sure the are no major bugs.
 
Yes thanks nu11. I see it was under news/ announcements thread and not stable releases that's why I missed it. Will give it a week or two before I install it to be sure the are no major bugs.

Sometimes Twitter can actually be helpful. Lol.

I'm also gonna wait a bit since we need to wipe before it can be installed AFAIK.
 
Yes, this is really good news for me. I can however only download it in June as my international has already been used up. Maybe I should just get another 1 gig from AFrihost...
 
Sometimes Twitter can actually be helpful. Lol.

I'm also gonna wait a bit since we need to wipe before it can be installed AFAIK.

I am still a twitter n00b but getting the hang of it. Will following Darky from now on.

same here...apparently its still buggy from most of the comments on facebook :(

This is why I am waiting...v9.4 was such a mess up actually and more trouble than desired. I know it is free but I will don't want to a tester anymore. Honeycomb on my tablet is buggy enough as it is.
 
Last edited:
Sorted out the random reboots on Debus ROM. I will try to download darky's new rom with my BB (BIS really has to come to android)
 
Okay, I just realized something really irritating when adding a contact to messaging they give me the email details as well, this just feels cluttered as sometimes I have contacts with lots of email addresses and numbers where I have to scroll and then I accidentally chose something I didn't want to. Does anyone know a way around this?
 
My contract renewal has finally arrived, and I'm sick of my nokia 5800.
In your opinions, is the Galaxy S a worthwhile phone without rooting, flashing etc - just the standard phone as is?

I really like the look of the Galaxy S2, and also HTC Sensation and Incredible S, but I'm pretty sure on any contract I need, there'll be a pay-in I don't want to have to do. And for my needs, they are definitely overkill (except the cameras).

So, is the standard Galaxy S still an awesome phone, or just a good one?
 
Guys why doesn't Kies update? I mean iv'e wasted about 2 days trying to update my sgs and it keeps saying "Unable to update this device" or some rubbish like that. Is the Froyo update no longer available? I'm using Eclair 2.1 at the moment.
 
My contract renewal has finally arrived, and I'm sick of my nokia 5800.
In your opinions, is the Galaxy S a worthwhile phone without rooting, flashing etc - just the standard phone as is?

I really like the look of the Galaxy S2, and also HTC Sensation and Incredible S, but I'm pretty sure on any contract I need, there'll be a pay-in I don't want to have to do. And for my needs, they are definitely overkill (except the cameras).

So, is the standard Galaxy S still an awesome phone, or just a good one?

Every smartphone is overkill to probably 80% plus of peopple (totally thumb sucked that statistic) and I have an SGS which is seriously awesome and I try use it full potential and at times might be expecting little bit to much from it because it is so powerful. I think it is probably one of the best phones ever made (I'm obviously going to be biased) and would definately recommend it......but the S II is just around the corner (any pay-in would probably be worth it) and I believe that the camera just doesn't compete with the likes of iPhone 4 in overall quality. SGS (and any other current and forthcoming top end Android phone too) definately if you want complete control over how to customise and use it and especially if your into gadgets and like fiddeling and changing things but the iPhone 4 otherwise. That is all IMO
 
same here...apparently its still buggy from most of the comments on facebook :(

And so I wait but looking forward to it. Preferrably would like to be able to install in through CWM and Darky's ROM app so will probably wait until they figure that out. Just seems so much more convenient than using Odin and other methods.
 
Can someone please answer my question? Did Samsung take down the option to update your handset online?
 
Can someone please answer my question? Did Samsung take down the option to update your handset online?

I don't think so, there has been a lot of people that couldn't update their phone through Kies. You are going to have to take it in so that they can do it manually.
 
My contract renewal has finally arrived, and I'm sick of my nokia 5800.
In your opinions, is the Galaxy S a worthwhile phone without rooting, flashing etc - just the standard phone as is?

I really like the look of the Galaxy S2, and also HTC Sensation and Incredible S, but I'm pretty sure on any contract I need, there'll be a pay-in I don't want to have to do. And for my needs, they are definitely overkill (except the cameras).

So, is the standard Galaxy S still an awesome phone, or just a good one?

Hmm, the three phone you should consider then in my opinion is:

SGS - Pros: Really good phone, does everything. The photos isn't as bad is corp makes it out to be. I think my photos in daylight is better than my friend's iphone 4.
Cons: Standard isn't that nice if you get stuck on 2.1 and Kies doesn't want to update you will need Samsung to upgrade it.
DHD - Pros: Sense is better than touchwich on the SGS, but both can be replace through the market by launcher pro which I think is superior to both.
Cons: Can't do video calling, which is a biggie for me
iPhone 4 - Pros: Really nice simple interface, like the DHD. Don't have to wait for the vendor for the software updates. Gadgets freely available.
Cons: Reliance on iTunes makes it closed system which is really annoying for me. ( The top two phones will pick up as a flash disk) Can't do video calling over 3G.
 
Can someone please answer my question? Did Samsung take down the option to update your handset online?

No, the option still exists but there have been a lot of issues. The easiest solution would be, like mentioned above, to take it in. Alternatively if you don't mind doing some research yourself have a look over at xda-developers.com forum.

If you have a branded phone it may also be your carriers fault, not samsungs.
 
No, the option still exists but there have been a lot of issues. The easiest solution would be, like mentioned above, to take it in. Alternatively if you don't mind doing some research yourself have a look over at xda-developers.com forum.

If you have a branded phone it may also be your carriers fault, not samsungs.

How do I tell if its branded? Theres no software or logos indicating its branded. I can't get to a Samsung centre anytime soon and my last day ( 7 day return) is today. Nashua mobile have to send the phone away for a week to "identify" the problem :(. I was trying to flash the newest software to see if my problems still exist.
 
How do I tell if its branded? Theres no software or logos indicating its branded. I can't get to a Samsung centre anytime soon and my last day ( 7 day return) is today. Nashua mobile have to send the phone away for a week to "identify" the problem :(. I was trying to flash the newest software to see if my problems still exist.

If there's a big VC or MTN logo when you start it up, then it is branded lol.

Just do a google search on forcing KIES to update it. There is so much info out there. May take an hour or two to understand what's going on but that's still less than sending it away
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X