innov8, sis got it yesterday, FTW!

16gig on board, 8mp camera, divx, no windows, garmin gps

10/10 in my books

kvi

Expert Member
choose the one you like... they all have pros and cons

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Well what would you get of the phones that are currently available on an Anytime 500 or equivalent package?

Brawler

Honorary Master
I have been trying to figure that one out aswell. What kind of answered it for me was when I thought what I need a phone for? I have a very good notebook and I can't imagine a 2.8 or 3 inch WinMo phone replacing it. What I really need is a good camera phone and MP3 player.

At the moment the N96 is top of my list for the following reasons.
1. Very good camera ( I need a decent camera on my phone).
2. Loads of storage space.
3. Great screen and speakers.
4. Symbian IMO is a far better OS for mobile phones, I would hate to try and use a WM phone while driving.
5. Prefer buttons to touch screens.
6. Good GPS

Only negative thing I have come accross with the average battery which I can live with, have a charger in my car.

Pooky just youtube all the phones you want and have a look at the interface of the phones you like, also google for "(insert your phone of choice here) problems". That should help you make a informative decision.

Last edited:

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Damn I can't decide. Maybe going to iTalk today though.

The X1 is out. The HTC Diamond I like cause of it's screen resolution, interface, and looks.
The Omnia I like because of the large storage, better camera.

Piesang

Executive Member
I would like to give my honest opinion but there are a few people on here that always attack me if I do this.

Well, attack me if you want, but here it goes.

As everyone knows (almost everyone), I had a very bad axperience with the Xperia, 3 of them to be precise. So in my books the Xperia is not a good phone at all. I mean, if it was only one that gave problems then I could understand, but 3??? WTF???

I'm using a Nokia N96 for the past month now and never had one single problem with it. Yes, everyone knows that the N96 doesn't have a excellent battery but I charge it every night while I'm asleep so why would it bother me at all??

Yesterday morning I got hold of a Omnia. I'm using it as my second phone and played around with it a lot yesterday. It's fast, the screen is nice, the battery is excellent, the memory is the same as the N96, which is more than enough. The phone feels good and solid and the best of all, it didn't crash or hang or nothing. I didn't have to reset it once. (can't say the same for the X1).

So my opinion is as follow:

If you want to choose between the X1 and Omnia then the Omnia is the better phone. The X1 is way overrated and overpriced. Although I see that the price dropped with about R2000 if you buy it cash.

I can't comment on the Diamond because I haven't used one yet.

Here are the reasons why I say go with the Omnia:

1. It's stable
2. 16GB Memory
3. Garmin for Life
4. Doesn't feel cheap
5. 5MP Camera
6. Excellent video quality
7. It doesn't crack
8. The paint doesn't peal off

kvi

Expert Member
haha piesang you more than welcome to say n96 is better in this thread :)

Brawler

Honorary Master
piesang n96 vs omnia? ITO camera, ease of use etc. WinMo is worrying me.

Loop...

I have been trying to figure that one out aswell. What kind of answered it for me was when I thought what I need a phone for? I have a very good notebook and I can't imagine a 2.8 or 3 inch WinMo phone replacing it. What I really need is a good camera phone and MP3 player.

At the moment the N96 is top of my list for the following reasons.
1. Very good camera ( I need a decent camera on my phone).
2. Loads of storage space.
3. Great screen and speakers.
4. Symbian IMO is a far better OS for mobile phones, I would hate to try and use a WM phone while driving.
5. Prefer buttons to touch screens.
6. Good GPS

Only negative thing I have come accross with the average battery which I can live with, have a charger in my car.

Pooky just youtube all the phones you want and have a look at the interface of the phones you like, also google for "(insert your phone of choice here) problems". That should help you make a informative decision.

The phone is good, my only problems with it is the battery life, its abit sluggish and the build quality is very low, IMO.

Park@82

Honorary Master
Ive read that there is still no firmware update available for download form Samsung or Vodacom locally and that in order to get latest firmware no your phone you have to take it to Samsung and wait two weeks for your phone:sick: Can anybody verify this? Ive read that there are still a lot of problems with the older firmware.

Edit: have a look at: http://www.samsungblog.co.za/blog/mobi/2008/12/omnia-rom-upgrade-sa#comment-11874

Park@82

Honorary Master
Damn I can't decide. Maybe going to iTalk today though.

The X1 is out. The HTC Diamond I like cause of it's screen resolution, interface, and looks.
The Omnia I like because of the large storage, better camera.

Omnia also has the better battery life, is a bit cheaper (on my contract anyway) , has faster processor and a sd card slot.

Pooky did you go to iTalk/ get a phone? I am also due for an upgrade and can't decide either.

sox63

Executive Member
My wife has the Omnia and I would advise against it. The battery life is really not good, she has to recharge every two days, and she does not chat a lot on the phone. And when she uses the GPS then it's a lot worse, I think thats why they include a car charger in the package.

The camera is great, WinMo is already acting up (after a month and half), IMO, it keeps changing the view from portrait to landscape while you busy on the on the phone, and no option to switch off that function as well.

Best thing about the Omnia is the Garmin GPS, the memory and the camera. Otherwise when I compare it to my E71, I'm happy with my phone.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Omnia also has the better battery life, is a bit cheaper (on my contract anyway) , has faster processor and a sd card slot.

Pooky did you go to iTalk/ get a phone? I am also due for an upgrade and can't decide either.

I just can't get that feeling that it's still a samsung phone out of my head. In my experience, Samsung phones are generally terrible.

Does anyone know what type of specials will be out in February? do you think they will probably be much the same?

Park@82

Honorary Master
My wife has the Omnia and I would advise against it. The battery life is really not good, she has to recharge every two days, and she does not chat a lot on the phone. And when she uses the GPS then it's a lot worse, I think thats why they include a car charger in the package.

It seems the battery drain problem could be an issue on the older firmware.

http://www.pspmyspace.com/omnia/2008/11/samsung-omnia-firmware.html

"The new Samsung Omnia Firmware is to resolve the fast battery drain out caused by the previous HH3 firmware. Samsung has taken longer than usual to resolve this problem for South East Asia Customers. Many Omnia users has turned to leak firmware version to resolve the battery problem."

"The latest Firmware Version is
PDA:i900DXHJ1/DZHJ1
PHONE: i900DXHJ1"

Fern9do

Expert Member
I would say go with the Omnia because I have one and can honestly say that I've not experienced any problems with it. Had it now for three weeks and the only issues I have had was waking up to find the phone "dead". A simple reset fixed this, it has only happened twice so I think that's okay.
Maybe I have the wrong Omnia but my battery life is freaking awesome. Worst case scenario I get 2-3 days out of a single charge(although I suspect it's because it charges when connected via usb)

Picture quality is great, memory is awesome, and Im amazed that there's still no scratches on the beautiful screen. One of my friends has the Diamond and he's really into the technology side of things yet he STRONGLY recommended that I get the Omnia over the Diamond and iPhone. The Garmin is also a very cool way of impressing your friends when your in the car:)
I think the Omnia is a very noob friendly phone because well I am a total noob when it comes to winmo/smartphones and I have not had any problems since receiving my Omnia.

Mxit on the Omnia is a b1tch though, that's my main gripe with the phone. But i mxit on my old phone.