Opel Corsa Reverse not fully engaging after replacing clutch cable

vicci

Hi guys

So I replaced the clutch cable on my corsa Bakkie 1.4 recently and now have the problem of the reverse gear not engaging without grinding the gears.

The corsa has a pull tab mechanism to engage reverse and when i try to put it into reverse the gears grind so what I've been doing is engaging it when the car is off, that seems to work for now

Is there anything I can do? I want to save my gears

Thanks

FiestaST

Honorary Master

TheChamp

Honorary Master
You can also try putting it into second gear first before going into reverse, but I think it has something to do with the clutch or linkages adjustment.

Düber

Did the car have the problem before replacing the cable?
Does the cable have a bit of "slack" i.e. movement before moving the lever?
What is 1st gear like, does it go in easily?

vicci

Did the car have the problem before replacing the cable?
Does the cable have a bit of "slack" i.e. movement before moving the lever?
What is 1st gear like, does it go in easily?
going into first gear is difficult and i often have to force it into 1. it did not have the problem before replacing the cable. there is no slack on it

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Did you try the adjustment? It is not impossible that this could be a coincidence of something else failing within the clutch system, why did you have to replace the cable?

Big Rat

Cable can be tight, but that does not mean it is set correctly. Adjust it by engaging the clutch, then lock it in place with a lever of some kind. The cable should now be loose. screw that cable end up along the bolt that ends the cable.
You will notice the clutch takes very low at the moment. You need to bring that up to the middle or top of the range to fully disengage the clutch.
Hope it makes sense...

Düber

Cable can be tight, but that does not mean it is set correctly.
Exactly.

t did not have the problem before replacing the cable. there is no slack on it

I suspect the cable is set too high and "overcaming" the pressure plate, or perhaps grabbing the plate when pressed all the way down.
I adjust it a bit differently, I start off with a completely slack cable and gradually adjust it tighter until it goes into gear easily, add a wee bit and then lock it.