Opinions on Openserve fiber

JimboJambo

My area just got lit up for fiber and it seems the only provider is Openserve. Whilst im not too bothered with the price, I just want to know if anyone here has had experience with them as their primary fiber ISP and if i should rather wait on other ISPs to operate on the infrastructure? Since we all know Openserve is basically a subsidiary of TelScum.

moklet

Expert Member
Openserve is the infrastructure provider, you are free to use any ISP (you don't have to use telkom as your ISP)

supersunbird

Honorary Master
As said, Openserve in only the fibre installer, not an ISP. You can get many ISPs on Openserve, even Vodacom does Openserve ISP accounts.

I am on Openserve fibre with Afrihost Premium (initially 10mbps for R847pm, now 40mbps for R1397pm). Watching those linux distro torrents come down at 3.5MB/s is grand.

Still the only fibre installed in Garsfontein, after a year from happening, so it would have been pointless waiting for some other company to roll out.

ajan

Do not go with openserve infrastructure if you have any other option to go with. I've been currently battling with exchange congestion for the past 4 months, no one has bat an eye yet to the problem.

No matter the amount of money you throw at the their network, you will still have a degraded third world experience.

Last edited: