OSX on netbooks

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Anyone here running OSX (Leopard preferably) on a netbook? Which one? How is it working?

I'm giving the Dell Mini 9 some serious thought. It is apparently 100% compatible.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
I didnt know you could use MacOSX on non-mac hardware.... pretty cool of them if theyre growing up as an OS.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
I didnt know you could use MacOSX on non-mac hardware.... pretty cool of them if theyre growing up as an OS.

I can't believe you missed it. It's been in and out of it-related news for a few years now. There is even a company who got sued by Apple for selling "hackintosh" PCs with OSX.

general_koffi

Expert Member
It can be done, but it's a huge mission.

Imo, Apple would stand to make more money if they actually licensed their OS out properly to standard x86 hardware. The yuppies would still buy the overpriced chromed white ****, and the rest of us would have a professional, viable alternative to Windows which doesn't require a kernal rebuild every time you want to install a sound driver.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
With some laptops it works very nicely, and then it's worth it, others not - it's quite arbitrary.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
I am running OSX Leopard on my MSI Wind. And currently MISSIONING to install it on my desktop.

It works perfectly on the MSI Wind netbook bar a few issues such as no wifi or sound but there are fixes for that I just can't be bothered to sort it out.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Thanks Pooky. The Dell has everything working. I'm curious about usability though -does stuff fit onto that tiny screen? How does it run on the hardware? (I'm not convinced by what I've seen from the Atom chips). Whta's the spec of your netbook?

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
It's nice I just find the small screen frustrating ...

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
That's exactly what I was thinking. I found the 13" 1280x800 restrictive enough. Then again, this is for travel, so I should survive.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Yeah I would recommend getting a little usb mouse cause the trackpad is REALLY annoying...

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Well in general just about everything. But for the mini I'm just looking at backing up images while I'm travelling and doing keywording/annotation while things are fresh in my memory. The thing is, all the windows and linux apps I've found so far to do this with really suck. And the one windows app that doesn't completely suck is far too resource intensive for my Compaq.