Outsource me

KampfGherkin

Wow, Telkom is turning into even more of a shell than it already is.

Not only is their R75-odd billiong market cap mostly due to their share of Vodacom, which further establishes that their fixed-line core business is essentially worthless, but now they're also looking to potentially drop 19 000 of 26 000 employees too.

Sure, they might save some money, but what's gonna be left after that physically? Practically nothing. And if you consider that worth is somehow meant to be a tangible measure, I'm not so sure shareholders would welcome this progression into apparent worthlessness.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Ah, Telkom running ... uh make that crawling in different directions in a confused daze :D.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
I think this will be a poor, badly thought out decision as this will only benefit the shareholders in the short term, the long term will be a different matter entirely.

Sure, service levels might increase and all that, but there'll have to be a tradeoff somewhere.

And it might be that we may just as well pay for the technician to come out and fix our lines.

We will have to wait and see what happens next.

Tns

Executive Member
Telkom does not care for it's customers nor for it's workers it seems

DblD

ahhhaahhahahahahahaha

Cosatu will have a field day with this..

SA Government is still majority shareholder in Telkom is this their stance as well that potentially 190000 ppl will need to louse their jobs?

In the time when Telecomunicaiton sector needs to scale up to see to upcoming challenge, those monkeys are scaling down... go figure..

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
In the time when Telecomunicaiton sector needs to scale up to see to upcoming challenge, those monkeys are scaling down... go figure..
Their line of thinking goes :

Less employees + more customers being raped = more profits and bonuses for all round

They will regret taking this decision.

acooks

"...the real competition is expected to happen at the value-added services level, with the network infrastructure just becoming a basic input cost."

This is just more maneuvering to confuse the issue.

Telkom, you are not giving us the NETWORK INFRASTRUCTURE we need at a price we can afford.

I wish they'd rather outsource the top management of telkom, not the poor peons racing from site to site and dealing with enraged customers.

Tux

Software Communist
ahhhaahhahahahahahaha

Cosatu will have a field day with this..

SA Government is still majority shareholder in Telkom is this their stance as well that potentially 190000 ppl will need to louse their jobs?

The 3 current trade unions representing telkom workers cant even agree on wages at the moment it seems

But back on topic.. Rumors going around the the guys doing the adsl installations will be outsourced to Siemens with 6 month or yearly contracts. No benefits etc.

sox63

Executive Member
There is not much I would not do to land this outsource deal. :D